My fast fix windshield wind turbulence buffeting problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My fast fix windshield wind turbulence buffeting problem

I took my new versys 3 days ago, i come from a second hand 17 years old very very noisy honda slr 650, i only needed one ride of 150km to feel headache with the wind and noise hitting my helmet in the versys.

If i was below the wind flow, behind the windshield all was quiet, then if i raised my head well over natural position, i could feel the wind fast and smooth, but riding in normal position, i was receiving a turbulence of wind buffeting like when you are in car with the window a bit open.

So i tried all the positions of the windshield with no luck, 2 holes of down, 1 down 1 up, 2 up, but at the end i tried what you see in the image. I used 1 up hole of front, and then let the the windshield stand in the base, that was a like a release, now the wind is not noisy and smooth!.

It seems that the angle of the windshield against the wind is the first culprit of generating the turbulences, so for now i think this will stay like this for some time, because now i'm happy, maybe in the future i put something more stylish.

I like to feel fresh wind in my face, and that also remembers me how fast i'm going, so i will not never need a new higher windshield. I only tested this up to 85kph because i'm in run-in.

I made this post in purpose of maybe helping someone that have felt this problem like me. I'm sure many people will not give a crap about any turbulence but me yes.

PS: I'm not native english speaker, maybe there are some faults, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 01:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrxjfk View Post
I took my new versys 3 days ago, i come from a second hand 17 years old very very noisy honda slr 650, i only needed one ride of 150km to feel headache with the wind and noise hitting my helmet in the versys.

If i was below the wind flow, behind the windshield all was quiet, then if i raised my head well over natural position, i could feel the wind fast and smooth, but riding in normal position, i was receiving a turbulence of wind buffeting like when you are in car with the window a bit open.

So i tried all the positions of the windshield with no luck, 2 holes of down, 1 down 1 up, 2 up, but at the end i tried what you see in the image. I used 1 up hole of front, and then let the the windshield stand in the base, that was a like a release, now the wind is not noisy and smooth!.

It seems that the angle of the windshield against the wind is the first culprit of generating the turbulences, so for now i think this will stay like this for some time, because now i'm happy, maybe in the future i put something more stylish.

I like to feel fresh wind in my face, and that also remembers me how fast i'm going, so i will not never need a new higher windshield. I only tested this up to 85kph because i'm in run-in.

I made this post in purpose of maybe helping someone that have felt this problem like me. I'm sure many people will not give a crap about any turbulence but me yes.

PS: I'm not native english speaker, maybe there are some faults, thanks.

Why do I need to log in on another site to see your pict ?

LOP
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Don't tell me that **** needs to be logged in to download the image?, please tell another site where i can upload an image.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:11 PM

I was thinking the same thing recently.. Too vertical. I'm going to try that too. If it works I'll drill a new hole for that position.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 03:08 PM

Garage
Don't tell me that **** needs to be logged in to download the image?, please tell another site where i can upload an image.

Photobucket works very well to host and post images

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 05-03-2016 at 01:39 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You can put the picture right here...
go advanced and then attach picture...

riiiight!

Versys 2015 Green
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrxjfk View Post
You may as well have NO screen at that position... Try riding Naked
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

It's looks a bit weird without the screen, anyways i'm still getting protection for wind chest
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 08:49 AM

That idea worked great for me with the front of the shield raised and the rear lowered. So much so I drilled 3/16 holes in the screen to line up with the lower rear wellnuts so I could pin it in place where it will likely stay for good.

I have the taller/wider tinted screen, Kawasaki branded but made by MRA. The way it sits now cuts the wind from neck down but what hits my helmet is smooth and quiet. I give it I even like the look, tres sporty!

I'll take a couple pics later and post.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 04:04 PM

Darn, this won't work for models 2009 and older.

I've gone naked (removed windscreen and bracket) on my 2009. I'm going on a long trip next month and I wish I could reinstall the windscreen so it could shield my chest but keep my head free of turbulence. If I have time, maybe I'll take it to a plastics shop and have them cut a few inches off the top.

I've tried everything, including putting it upside-down, but nothing helps.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 07:11 AM

With or without trim, note that if you mount your screen like this it could function as a guillotine if the conditions are right. With "right", of course I mean wrong... I'm not sure a full face helmet will help. More upright is better - otherwise I would take screen off.

Anders B.
Sweden
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Darn, this won't work for models 2009 and older.

I've gone naked (removed windscreen and bracket) on my 2009. I'm going on a long trip next month and I wish I could reinstall the windscreen so it could shield my chest but keep my head free of turbulence. If I have time, maybe I'll take it to a plastics shop and have them cut a few inches off the top.

I've tried everything, including putting it upside-down, but nothing helps.
try this one

I used this style on my ol zx6r and added it to my 08 Versys yesterday at the highest position, so far i think it is a big improvement at least in noise reduction.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:48 PM

Great fix!

I rode my new Versys home from Green Bay to west Minneapolis. I had a raging headache and ringing ears (with plugs in!) to go with my sore neck. I wish I had known about this adjustment. So far in 50 miles it is much quieter and eliminates the drumming. Now it feels like my Ninja 650 and I can open the chin vent without suffering hearing damage.

The Vrxjfk work around might just save me from buying a MRA vario...
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 03:44 PM

I can't figure out how to make a picture from google drive appear in line.. but here's the link. this is the tall screen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8v...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by ddlewis; 09-13-2014 at 03:48 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 02:11 AM

with a shield slanted low, that would mean more (clean) air towards the head.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:13 AM

I drilled another hole in the windshield .585" C-T-C forward of the rear hole to line it up with the existing bottom rear hole in the on the instrument cover. I took the back plugs out and moved them to the front bottom position. No more buffeting up through 75mph for me.

It still offers way more wind protection than without it, as I have tried naked as well. At 75mph without the windshield, you are leaning forward and hanging onto the grips way too hard. After 15 minutes of that I had enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys fix (1024x768) (800x600).jpg (300.0 KB, 489 views)

Last edited by brent375hh; 09-17-2014 at 11:16 AM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 01:40 PM

You are right man!, you are a ****ing hero, i did it and it's like night and day! Thank youuuu!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:41 PM

I just did this free mod and can say I'm completely happy with it.

At speeds 65-75+, you get a nice, clean breeze, but no more buffeting. I stand 6'3", and was getting knocked around a lot before, even after adjusting to the different stock positions.

This mod has saved me from buying an expensive, goofy-looking aftermarket windscreen that I might not have been happy with.

THANK YOU!!!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 01:16 PM

Nice work...I have a Givi I used this winter and liked that. I will switch back to OEM this spring and will give this a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode