Move up to Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Move up to Versys?

Hey folks!

Has anybody "moved up" from a KLR 650 to the Versys. I'm looking to make a change to a Versys or similar ride and wondered if going from a KLR was more of a lateral move than a step up. I'd like to hear opinions. Also, how well does the Versys handle a larger (250 pounds) rider?

Thanks,

Pirnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 11:33 PM

I own an '08 KLR and bought an '08 Versys. I have owned and ridden KLRs since 1998, I don't think it would be a lateral move. The difference in performance and handling is like night and day. Don't get me wrong, I still love my KLR. My KLRs have taken me on some long road trips and have completed a Saddlesore 1000. If you want more power and stilll want the "VERSATILITY", then the Versys may be for you. I was able to take an extended test ride at a Kawasaki Demo ride at a rally. That helped me make up my mind. By the way, I weigh about 200 lbs.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:40 AM

I, ahem....weigh more than you. The Versys handles big guys fine.

I also own and '08 KLR. Different bikes, different engine, different everything. Both really good at doing it all, (maybe not dirt for the Versys).

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 AM

I've ridden both
The Versys has almost twice the horsepower and much better tires and suspension for paved roads.
The KLR is a lawnmower compared to the Versys.
Not even a riding lawnmower, a push lawnmower.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:09 AM

+1 on the lawnmower gig I consider the KLR, although a good bike, a thrashing machine, compared to the V.

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM

KLR is a dual sport while the versys is not. They are both qreat machines build for very different purposes. I tried the KLR before I went with the versys. I am vertically challenged so the KLR was not for me. Thanks to that I tried and settled on the versys which was a good choice since I do mostly road and occasionally go into unpaved roads. Getting to where I like to go usually means long streches of interstate and twisty mountain roads the versys is great in both. The bike is a great commuter too.

Now, if I could get the snow and ice on the streets to go away right now I would be riding instead of writing.

Good luck
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

I've got both, an '04 KLR and an '08 V.
IMHO, they compliment each other, tho' the V has better suspenders and power, while the KLR won't turn your hair 'grey' if you "cook" into a corner on dirt, as the V will. And the V won't turn your hair grey if you "cook" into a paved corner at 9/10ths, as the KLR will.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 PM

I started on an 09 klx250s then traded up for the versys, i had a chance to ride the klr, to me there was no comparison. versys all the way!!
Welcome aboard!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 PM

I have both too; they are two very different bikes. I almost didn't bother buying the Versys thinking the KLR would be "good enough" to commute around with but I'm glad I bought the V as well; it's a WAY better street bike - better handling, brakes, and most importantly: power.
OTOH, I still use the KLR for real dual sport use and it's far superior to the V for that...

Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 PM

KLR vs. Versys

I traded my 07 KLR in on my 08 Versys. No regrets for what I use it for. But the Versys is not a dual sport. I have put 13,500 miles on my Versys so far. I love taking trips on it. I did change the gearing to suit my riding style,+1 on front and -3 on rear.(80mph speed limits on some parts of Teaxs interstate) I use gps for true mileage and my speedo is 3mph slow. A few 500 mile days/nights. I have been riding for 30+ years and currently own several models....but the Versys has the most miles. Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode