Best windscreen for tall guys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Red face Best windscreen for tall guys

I need to buy a new taller wind screen for the V.
Givi seems to be popular but is it tall enough.
MRA vario is another screen thats popular.
I need to order soon just can,t seem to decide which one
please help. photos would help if available.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Parabellum. You will have to shoot Charly a note as he doesn't have it on his web site yet. Here is a pix of the smaller one he made. Very good protection with lite breeze around the helmet and plenty of air still getting into my jacket vents. The larger one is 2" taller and wider than this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ft Parabellum.JPG (133.0 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Rt Parabellum.JPG (119.0 KB, 219 views)

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 PM

What's up with the Honda Sticker on the Versys?

Zeniac

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Unhappy

honda.......

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM

Zen,
Had to do the badge thing. Never had a Kaw in 47 years of riding and just retired after 21 yrs with Am Honda Motor. Just mainly for fun!!
Have had lots of fun with the questions on that decal! Some think it's the Varadero from Europe!!

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 PM

Gotcha, this is my second Kawi, first was a 1972 350 thumper Ha!!

I see you have a XR650L, I've got one in the garage to chase the grandpups around on their mini. Pretty solid old lump, bit heavy though for any real serious off road stuff, it can sure give a guy a workout. Tried it as a commuter before I got the Versys, survived last winter with it but didn't want to go though another.

I am looking forward to the ride to work now!! (60 miles round trip)

Cheers,

Zeniac
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:55 PM

Zen,
The L is a great serious dual sport machine with full legal knobs when you want to do 80+% dirt roads and trails. Have it geared to walk beside it in first gear and it is a stump puller. Will climb most of the N Ga jeep trails and such in 2nd gear. Do have to run premium fuel the way I lug it down.
It has been on two Pancho Villa Copper Canyon tours with no issues.
I took the Scott Summer approach to the weight and let it be the other guys issue. My ride buddies gave me a hard time about the weight at first, but funny thing, within 2 yrs all of them had the little button!!!

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 AM

I know the L has an almost cult following. But for me, with 100 lbs less to man handle, and quick and nimble, I'll take a CRF-250X or WR-250F any day over the L (Red button included with both!). If I need a stump puller I get out my John Deere.

The L for me has been a love-hate relationship, I love it's simplicity and reliability, but for spirited off-road or street use, it falls short for both. I wish Honda would update the L. If I was looking at more of an off-road dual sport, I think I'd probably look at Suzuki's DRZ-400 to replace the L. As it is, I hope to sell my L and get a CRF-250X or Yamaha WR-250F for off-road stuff and use my Versys for the street.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XR650 Right Side Quick e-mail view.jpg (145.7 KB, 86 views)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 AM

Zen,
Good points all, but in 95 there weren't all the options that we have today and I have gotten used to it.
Don't hold your breath on Honda coming out with something new. MC Div has determined there is no American market for large bore dual sport bikes. They offer as proof the Transalp that they tried in 89. At least that's the last position I heard the VP take.

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 02:26 PM

I would disagree with there being no market for large bore dual sports, the KLR has been one of Kawasaki's best selling motorcycles over the years and the recent update has sold very well. BMW's 650 thumpers have been popular and inspired BMW to come out with their new GS 800. Smaller bike companies like Triumph and Moto Guzzi see the market and both have alternatives to BMW's wildely sucessful GS models, though they are more adventure bike oriented.

I think many of the current L riders would jump at the opportunity to upgrade to a new model. To me Honda is missing out on a great opportunity to market a street legal version of the XR650R. Many R owners have modded their bike to make them street legal. Look at the sucess KTM and Husky have had with their dual sports.

The Transalp was a great bike poorly marketed, and today has a cult like following. I looked at one in Sherman, TX recently that was advertised on Cycletrader, they wanted $5,800 for it, and the dealer held firm on the price. With the Twin mill and all the plastic, it was more of an adventure bike than dual sport, but I think it still would work for me. Kawasaki should have put the 650 twin from the versys in the new KLR, that would be a sweet ride.

Cheers,
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Zen,
My point exactly! There is a market but you actually have to go out and see what people are interested in to figure out what to bring into this country. Don't see that happening with the big H!!! Just look at the number of years from the 650L 93 to the latest and greatest update high tech Dual Sport from them!!! 230L???? Why not at least bring back the water cooled NX 250 in full on dual sport? Very frustrating having worked in a sister div for 21 years with more riders than the MC div!!

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode