Pirelli Scorpion Trail or better? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pirelli Scorpion Trail or better?

Almost 1 year of Versys (2013) ownership here and still rolling around on the factory rubber, 8900 miles! These things are starting to scare me so I'm shopping for a new set.

Looks like the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires come pretty highly recommended. Reviews on retailer's sites are all glowing while the comments here are positive but more critical. The threads are kinda old so just wondering if there is anything new on the market worth looking at. I'd say I'm 95 street 5 dirt. I live in southeast Michigan the roads here are pretty flat. As far as dirt performance goes all I really need is something that will hook up well on dirt/gravely roads. I ended up buying a KLX250 this summer to get my dirt fix when I need it.

Another thing i see regarding the Pirelli Scorpion Trail's is people saying they tip in a lot faster. I'm pretty happy with the over all feel of the bike stock, just want more traction. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0446.jpg (23.6 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0447.jpg (43.4 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0448.jpg (42.9 KB, 234 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:54 PM

Good day GreenT.

I have had the Scorpion Trail on the rear for the last 7600km and the front for 5000km. The front looks as it did when I rolled it on, but the rear is almost done. I expect to get 8500km (5500 miles). I will never get the 8900 miles that you have gotten with the stocker... not even close. It really depends on how you drive and how much load you carry.

I have no complaints with the tire. I have always believed that the softer the tire is, the more traction you will have. The trade-off is that it will not last as long. It is a really good 95/5 tire. Here is a pic of the tire @ 7600km.

If traction is your priority, go for it. It turns well, like any high end sport bike tire. If you want to match the longevity of the stock tire, try something else. I would really like to get my hands on the new "Tourance Next". The "Next" is a true dual compound 95/5 tire that looks a lot like the Scorpion Trail, but it is not available in North America... in 160/60-17

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...nce-next-tires
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:02 AM

From the looks of the O.E.M. tires you are not pushing them real hard. Either will work well. I have PR4s on the Versys and Scorpion Trail on the KLR. The Scorpions work a little better on dirt the PR4 work a little better on pavement. Since you spend much more time on pavement I would go PR4. You won't be unhappy with Scorpions, though.

If you have ambitions of knee draggin' the PR4 will work better.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
From the looks of the O.E.M. tires you are not pushing them real hard. Either will work well. I have PR4s on the Versys and Scorpion Trail on the KLR. The Scorpions work a little better on dirt the PR4 work a little better on pavement. Since you spend much more time on pavement I would go PR4. You won't be unhappy with Scorpions, though.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

Yeah, mileage is last on my list of concerns (within reason). I'm after performance and safety and if I have to get 2 tires a season to achieve that, so be it.

Are these the PR4's your talking about? If so they have to be better than stock on the few country dirt roads we have around here. I used to go exploring on the V, but too many close calls and a KLX later and don't use them much. Its just nice to know you have the option.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...d-4-rear-tires
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 PM

Those are them.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:46 AM

One fun thing about the Pirelli's is that they have little scorpions around the tire in the chickens strip zone. The fun part is trying to rub the little buggers off in the twisties. I have barely nipped the tails a couple times, but I'm getting there....
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I find that my Metzler Tourances are GREAT on pavement AND dirt, so I really like 'em.

I'll be posting up a ride I did yesterday, on MEMBER RIDES, probably in about an hour.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 03:13 PM

I replaced my Scorpion Trails this summer with a Tourance in the back and a Distanzia in the front, and have loved the setup. I do most of my riding on-road, but love venturing down forest roads or whatever else winds back into the forest.I've found the setup is just as good on the road as it is off. -Chad
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post

I have the Pirelli Scoprion trails on my Versys, and I really liked them but after only about 7K km the rear doesn't look so good. I give it another 500 - 800km and I wlll absolutely have to change. The problem here in Bali is what is available. I could put another set of Pirellis on but am appalled at how quickly they treads have scrubbed right down. I had PR2s on before and they lasted a bit longer, and they weren't bad on pavement. I hear the PR4s last quite a bit more. What's your take, running them side by side?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:18 PM

based on the comparisons of the Tourance tires and the shink 705's for the price i'm looking at the shinko 705's for my next set.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:02 AM

So I went with the PR4s. . Once I scrubbed them off a bit for about 20kms on tarmac, I put them through their paces. My initial impression, on the road they are great - the first set of twisties had me grinning, they just roll in and out with the slightest urging. Then I took them on to a packed gravel road (see pic) and I have to say I felt less confident than on my Scorpion Trails by a long shot. It wasn't that they were bad but with a bit of hard gravel they get skittish. I contemplating letting some of the air out, but far haven't done that yet.

But once again, I really am happy on the dry tarmac so far, and they are better than the Pirellis on the dry road. The rains will be here in a few weeks or maybe sooner, so then i will see how they are then (I hear they shine in the wet, so to speak).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0629.jpg (32.8 KB, 145 views)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I find that my Metzler Tourances are GREAT on pavement AND dirt, so I really like 'em.

I'll be posting up a ride I did yesterday, on MEMBER RIDES, probably in about an hour.

Fast Eddie - the Tourances come in 17" front and back?

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
Almost 1 year of Versys (2013) ownership here and still rolling around on the factory rubber, 8900 miles! These things are starting to scare me so I'm shopping for a new set.

Looks like the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires come pretty highly recommended. Reviews on retailer's sites are all glowing while the comments here are positive but more critical. The threads are kinda old so just wondering if there is anything new on the market worth looking at. I'd say I'm 95 street 5 dirt. I live in southeast Michigan the roads here are pretty flat. As far as dirt performance goes all I really need is something that will hook up well on dirt/gravely roads. I ended up buying a KLX250 this summer to get my dirt fix when I need it.

Another thing i see regarding the Pirelli Scorpion Trail's is people saying they tip in a lot faster. I'm pretty happy with the over all feel of the bike stock, just want more traction. Any thoughts?
I had a set of Scorpions and later went to a set of Michelin PR3. When new the Scorpions grip dirt and gravel better but the wear faster and the rear flat spotted rather quickly due to the lack of dual compound rubber. They are not much of an advantage in the dirt after the tread starts to wear. They also do not feel as secure or handle quit as well on pavement as a sport tour tire. The PR3s last much longer and wear more evenly due to dual compound rubber (front and back) and are better handling on pavement, on the downside they are more slippy on dirt even when new. Have you considered other dual purpose tires like the Contis, I think they make this in sizes for the Versys. Since my off road was limited to short runs on dirt roads I found the PR3s were fine for this, then again my use was 99% pavement.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-27-2014 at 11:42 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 08:19 PM

Love Conti tires but seems they don't make a 160/60/17, if they do it's not available in the US today.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 01:35 PM
djg

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
Fast Eddie - the Tourances come in 17" front and back?
I run REAR Tourances on BOTH ends - 130/80x17 on the F, 150/70x17 on the R, correctly mounted so that the arrows BOTH ends point forwards, and 36F, 42R.

The bigger front tire takes about 100 miles to get used to - it's slower to turn-in - but has about the same overall OD as a 19".

I started running those after reading jdrocks and Gary (in South America).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:13 PM

pr 4 trail

I love my scorpion trails, too, but the wear could be better. Now that I'm getting old and cheap, I'm thinking the pilot road 4 trail is the way to go. I'm running 99% road/1% trail these days. Revzilla says the diff between the pr4 and pr4 trail is hard/med compound for the former and med/soft compound for the latter.
anyone run the trail version of pr4's?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
They do not make the PR4s Trails in sizes for the Versys. The PR4 trails were designed as a street only tire for big adv bikes like the BMW 1200 GS. They have higher load ratings.

Pirelli has announced a new dual compound, longer wearing Scorpion 2 Trail for the new year. As the Scorpion Trail is being discontinued, look for clearance prices.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-04-2014 at 05:57 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 06:59 PM

excellent info, twowheels.

no info on Pirelli's website, but this site has a blurb http://www.nieuwsmotor.nl/persberich...motorband.html

Versys stock sizes are listed.

Last edited by tomla; 11-04-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode