Looking to buy, have ?'s - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking to buy, have ?'s

Hey all! I am looking to buy a V and have a few questions. I have looked around this forum and found a lot of info but still wondering about..

I would like to get the bike a little lower, right now I can just touch my toes but can lean a little to one side and get more foot down. I don't need to get flat foot but would like at least both balls of feet on the ground. Would the shorter gel seat be better then a lowering kit? My concern with the lowering kit is loosing some suspension travel and the seat concern is the cost and comfort. Which do you think would be the better way to go? Want to get my wife riding also and this would be a concern for her.

I will be riding on some dirt roads, live on one, so the concern of suspension travel comes in here. How does the V handle on packed to loose gravel bumpy dirt roads? Would it be better with more aggressive dual sport tires?

Want some hard side cases. Would you go with GIVI or Kawi's or is there something else to consider?

Why should I go with the V over a Vstrom? Looked at the Vstrom but leaning more towards the Kawi. I have a 2002 Kawasaki Concours now and have had no problems with it, it is for sale by the way if anyone is looking. So I like the company and their products.

Thanks for you knowledge and help, glad to be here and hopefully a rider of the Versys soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:01 AM

For yourself; if you need the travel for the bumpy road don't lower it, get the seat. The muffler is subject to damage before anything else but the suspension is adjustable for your weight. It is preset from the factory for a 150# rider and I am 220# and really haven't been inclined to stiffen the rear spring but maybe dampen it a little.

I am a novice street bike rider; grew up on dirt bikes and one enduro. I opted for the V because it felt quite a bit more substantial to me on the street over the klr650 which seems to be a great all around bike - which you may consider. The Versys seems to be a great starter bike for anyone learning; perhaps a little heavy up top; so to putting your wife on it you may present a small challenge if she is used to a low cg.

Make no mistake that the tires are street and perhaps a little hard/slick for street tires. Something like Avon Distanzia might work well for your application.

I also looked hard at the Vstrom and chose the Versys based on how it felt to me and I too have always had good luck with Kawasaki products from my motorcycles to mud motors to generators. I did; however, enjoy the heck out of a Gixxer 1000 but that is another story.

Hope this helps,
Todd
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 PM

0-80 uphill on a dirt road

I just posted a video on Youtube.com of the Versys going from 0-80 uphill on a dirt road. I went over the 6,000 mile mark on my Versys this weekend.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 PM

I've had mine on a bunch of gravel and dirt roads lately, I had to soften up the rebound on the shock, but it handles just fine. The stock tires are OK, but for sure they're street tires.

Love my V.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:48 PM

gravel roads

I also adjusted my shocks so they aren't so stiff. I put on Roadsmart Sport Touring tires on my bike at 4,500 miles. I was going to put on a more agressive tire for the dirt but I'm planning on going to North Carolina or Florida on vacation. I have no problem in the dirt with my street tires as long as the dirt is dry. But, if the dirt is muddy, that's a whole different ball game. Very slow and carefull riding as the tire will spin with just a little gas.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 PM

I got caught in the rain yesterday in the mountains of southern PA, the tires did well. I had a hard time seeing so speeds were way down, but no surprises. Braking felt good on the wet roads. I'm up to about 1200 miles on mine, just shy of 2 weeks old.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongobob View Post
I would like to get the bike a little lower, right now I can just touch my toes but can lean a little to one side and get more foot down.
You may find the Wee-Strom better height wise, I can't speak for the lower seat available with the Versys. My wife and daughter are both about 5' 8" and are unable to handle the Versys with any confidence with the stock seat. Point to Wee-Strom here.
Quote:
I will be riding on some dirt roads, live on one, so the concern of suspension travel comes in here. How does the V handle on packed to loose gravel bumpy dirt roads? Would it be better with more aggressive dual sport tires?
The Wee-Strom wins hands down on any gravel or dirt road. Another point to the Wee-Strom.
Quote:
Want some hard side cases. Would you go with GIVI or Kawi's or is there something else to consider?
Kawi's hard luggage is made by Givi. There are cheaper Givi Alternatives such as the E21's that don't look too bad, but sacrifice capacity.
Quote:
Why should I go with the V over a Vstrom? Looked at the Vstrom but leaning more towards the Kawi. I have a 2002 Kawasaki Concours now and have had no problems with it, it is for sale by the way if anyone is looking. So I like the company and their products.
I chose the Versys because I felt that the Wee-Strom was dated looking and didn't handle as well on the street, however, the motor is very strong in the Wee and with it's better off pavement capabilities, the Wee-Strom may be a better alternative. My daughter rides a GS500F and the build quality is no less than the Versys.

I think you'd be happy with either bike, I have ridden my Versys on gravel roads and not sustained any damage to the exhaust, the OEM tires are not adequate for anything other than casual riding off pavement in my opinion. I think it would be more difficult and expensive to try to adapt the Versys to fill your needs than to start out with the Wee-Strom.

Good luck and good riding with whatever you chose.

Zeniac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode