SW-MOTECH Alu-rack Toprack - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

SW-MOTECH Alu-rack Toprack

Folks,

I did a search, but I can't find a clear answer. I have the Givi PL447 side racks. Does anyone know if they are compatible with the SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack? That toprack looks like the OE which I know won't fly with the OE Givi side mounts, but I don't know about the PL447s. I'm not interested in getting a topcase...I just want a stable place to mount some extra fuel. I could go with the Givi Fz447, but it has a big hole in it and it isn't flat.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 AM

From what I understand they are not compatible. However, you can use the Monokey panniers with the SW-Motech Evo rack and it is compatible with the tail rack.

That was the direction I went with mine, but I went with the Trax panniers.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appler View Post
Folks,

I did a search, but I can't find a clear answer. I have the Givi PL447 side racks. Does anyone know if they are compatible with the SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack? That toprack looks like the OE which I know won't fly with the OE Givi side mounts, but I don't know about the PL447s. I'm not interested in getting a topcase...I just want a stable place to mount some extra fuel. I could go with the Givi Fz447, but it has a big hole in it and it isn't flat.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.
The adapter plate on the FZ447 is removable. If you want a flat plate, you could just get some steel plate, drill the appropriate holes, and attach it.

I have a Kappa KZ447 rack, which I believe is equivalent to the Givi rack. The Kappa plates that are compatible to the rack are the KM11, KM5, and KM5M.

So, you could get a KM11, and still have the option to use a Monokey topcase in the future.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Maloy, I dig the Motech Toprack so much because it replaces the cheezy plastic grab rails and looks great with nothing on it. Your's so far is the best picture yet I can find with that rack installed. It looks like it might be that small vertical piece that slips under the back end of the OE grab rails on the Givi that keeps the two from working together.

However, thanks to Dave for letting me know that adapter comes off. I hit your link and saw the .pdf instructions and it looks like it would be easy to cut a flat plate an bolt it down. I'd still have the bolt heads sticking up, but could find a spacer I'm sure.

I wish the MOTECH would fit, but the GIVI/KAPPA looks like it should do the job.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em. Thanks!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 PM

The SW-Motech ALU-Rackack (same as the OEM rear rack) will mount with any side rack that has a flat surface where the side rack mounts to the subframe assembly, under the seat. If the rack you intend to use is flat (at that point, since the rack mounts "swoop" aft), then it will work. You will just need to source some longer bolts that will reach through both the side rack and rear rack.

If the PL447 sideracks maintain the mounting of the stock grab handles, then they should allow for the mounting of the SW-Motech ALU-Rack.

Just as both the stock side racks and rear rack can be made to fit together with a little cutting and grinding, I don't doubt you could get the PL447 and the SW-Motech racks to go together with the same.

Hope it works out.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloy View Post
That was the direction I went with mine, but I went with the Trax panniers.
Do you have the model number of the Trax panniers in the picture? I have the EVO side-carriers and looking for top rack solution like that.

-Tyler
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 AM

I have these side cases: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5450/788/ that are bolted right on top of the SWMOTECH rack. Seat still works just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 AM
oby

is this on 2010 model or older? I have on mine 2010 side Evo rack with alu cases and I'm googling for confirmation that top rack can also be installed (but unrecommended by sw motech ).

I wrote to SW motech and ask them why all racks can't co-exstist, but all I got was some shaddow answer that it's impossimble to mount it??!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
I have these side cases: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5450/788/ that are bolted right on top of the SWMOTECH rack. Seat still works just fine.
Would you mind posting some closeup photos??? I have been tossing the idea of adding side racks (have the SW Motech alu-rack). You mention bolting it right on top??

A parts list from TT would be great along with your photos. I just might take the plunge!

Thanks in advance
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Would you mind posting some closeup photos??? I have been tossing the idea of adding side racks (have the SW Motech alu-rack). You mention bolting it right on top??

A parts list from TT would be great along with your photos. I just might take the plunge!

Thanks in advance
Yeah, I'll try to get that done today.

IBA # 49372
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'll try to get that done today.
Great!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 03:13 PM

PARTS LIST FOR 2010 KAWASAKI VERSYS
SADDLEBAG SUPPORTS $229.99
GIVI V35 SADDLEBAGS $490.50
SW-MOTECH ALU-RACK $149.99

TOTAL: $870.48 (Plus S&H)

The cut out in the seat for the factory grab handles doesn't quite clear all the brackets, but I'm sure it would if you shimmed up the seat brackets with a couple washers.

Just use the spacers supplied with the ALU-RACK (to keep rack off paint), and bolt the GIVI mounts right on top of that. The bolts supplied with the GIVI racks do go through both sets of brackets and into where the factory handles were mounted, however, you should get new, longer bolts that use all of the available threads in the bike frame. USE BLUE LOCKTITE ON ALL OF THIS!!!!! You don't want to be, oh lets say, 1200 miles from home on a pass in Colorado without the right tools and have a saddlebag bracket come loose.

By the way . . .the trunk in that last picture is for sale.

IBA # 49372

Last edited by Motopsycho; 07-10-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: More pictures
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 AM

good info, so the side cases DO work with the top rack, just a little spacing work...this helps alot.

Thanks

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the parts list and photos!

Maybe SW says they cant be used together because the seat is a little tight and you must use longer hardware. But the proof is in the pudding!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:51 AM

well the actual reason swmotech and givi topracks dont "work" with their sideracks is a legal issue of over weighting the rear of the bike.
Kawasaki's legal does not allow companies to make both available or advertise them as compatible. Even though, thanks to a couple brave pioneers, we know that they will work together.
If you give twisted throttle a call they will explain it a little better but its not that it wont work as much as they have prohibited marketing of both being compatible.

It makes sense, when i have my soft bags loaded and my top rack loaded and my wife on the back... it makes it very wheelie prone.

1997 KLR 650

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 AM

The only thing I don't like about my set up is that you have to take off the left bag to get the key in the lock for the seat.

IBA # 49372
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about my set up is that you have to take off the left bag to get the key in the lock for the seat.
Can you get one of the smaller steel keys made and grind off the plastic head and maybe slide it in that way?

Photo copied from this thread.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
If you give twisted throttle a call they will explain it a little better but its not that it wont work as much as they have prohibited marketing of both being compatible.

Damn, that's the opposite of how I understood it...

Re: Contact Us by email
Thursday, July 7, 2011 5:43 PM
From: "Paul XXXXX" <[email protected]>View contact details
To: "Info twistedthrottle" <[email protected]>

Well, damn! But thanks for the info! :-)

--- On Thu, 7/7/11, Info twistedthrottle <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Re: Contact Us by email
To: [email protected]
Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011, 2:29 PM

Paul,
They physically do not fit together. They would occupy the same space.

Regards,
Rich

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
Name:
Paul XXXXX

Telephone number:
727-8XX-XXXX

Your Bike Color/Year/Make/Model:
2011 Kawasaki Versys

Your Comments or Questions:
I spoke with someone there briefly about this... I just want to clarify compatibility between the SW-Motech top rack (Alu-rack) and the quick-release side racks. Both items' page clearly states they're incompatible with each other. My question is, are they PHYSICALLY incompatible, or is it that the top and side racks will bolt up, but SW-Motech (and Givi) believe that the Versys subframe has insufficient strength and don't want the liability? Thanks!

--
401-284-4200 (phone)
401-223-6954 (fax)
[email protected]
http://www.twistedthrottle.com

2011 Versys

Last edited by ag_streak; 07-12-2011 at 07:42 AM.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:19 PM

- ag streak-
well per this thread and others evidence, we know that to be untrue... the swmotech side rack and top rack do fit together, just like with the givi siderack because they mount on that back bolt the same way.

They technically do "occupy the same space" but what psycho has done is stack them and use a longer bolt, making them work together. So TT didn't lie to you, they are not made to work together, but rather the opposite. but they WILL WORK with slight mods

This image is the two "occupying the same space"

1997 KLR 650

Last edited by BAMF; 07-11-2011 at 03:22 PM.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
- ag streak-
well per this thread and others evidence, we know that to be untrue... the swmotech side rack and top rack do fit together, just like with the givi siderack because they mount on that back bolt the same way.

They technically do "occupy the same space" but what psycho has done is stack them and use a longer bolt, making them work together. So TT didn't lie to you, they are not made to work together, but rather the opposite. but they WILL WORK with slight mods.
You know what I think? When I mounted my SW-Motech quick-release side racks, the spacer under the rear bolt that rides in the circular well on the bike seemed really long. It raises the mounting tab WAY off the plastic. About the thickness of a second, stacked mounting tab (for the rear rack)! It even makes the grab rails a little uneven.

I bet they started shipping the side racks with a "too thick" spacer to discourage people from stacking the mounting tabs! A "third" thickness of mounting tab would definitely interfere with the seat, but if the spacer were thinner by the thickness of one mounting tab, as I think it should be, then the mounting tab of the rear rack would be in the exact same position (height) as is the side rack alone now!

I sent Rich at Twisted Throttle a link to this thread. It will be interesting to see what they think.

Thanks all! This helps me make my decision to buy the rear rack and experiment, if necessary. (I'm thinking a stack of washers less high than the thickness of the supplied spacer should do the trick. Same bolts, even!)

2011 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode