Bluetooth - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Bluetooth

Does anyone here use bluetooth in the helmet?
I ordered some bluetooths to experiment with, rather than spending 100-150 on a specific helmet I googled diy helmet bluetooth.
Got some ideas and will continue with this commitment.
I will keep you guys up to date and let you know if it works and how well it works.
I bought elcheapo bluetooths for $10/ea. on www.newegg.com
that includes the (free) shipping.
Scheduled to get them tomorrow.
anyway, if someone here has done something like this, please give me some pointers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:26 PM

Keep us updated. I for one am interested since I have a friend I ride with and we want to get some sort of headsets for communication while riding.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Im not sure if the headsets will connect but I plan on putting the cell in the inside pocket of my jacket or tankbag window to see the caller ID....

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 AM

I am interested in this too, as I hope to get a Garmin Zumo 550, and use it with Bluetooth.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok, got the bluetooths today, charged them up and paired with each of the phones, now I will have to hack them to do some soldering...gonna need to find some headphone speakers for the helmet and either hack the mic or try the mic that comes on the unit.
wish me luck....hopefully I will get this done by sunday.
I am impressed with how they work.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, take pictures of your hack job!! I love these types of projects!!

Tim 'the Toolman' Taylor, anyone???

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA-V View Post
Ok, got the bluetooths today, charged them up and paired with each of the phones, now I will have to hack them to do some soldering...gonna need to find some headphone speakers for the helmet and either hack the mic or try the mic that comes on the unit.
wish me luck....hopefully I will get this done by sunday.
I am impressed with how they work.
Was thinking of doing the same but wife said I must stop being I cheap ass and bought me the interphone F4 stereo headset which works very well.
One thing to keep in mind is to check the ohm's of the bluetooth speaker and the one you want to use. To high or to low can damage the power management chip inside the bluetooth module.

Another thing is also the qaulity of the headset as some of them the noise cancellation is very poor and thus the other person on the line will just hear a bad hissing sound on their end.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 AM

I got a Vega V-tune helmet with stereo bluetooth. Much easier that farting around with a soldering gun. However i would love to replace the speakers with something a bit more efficient (louder) and more bass. Might end up with the sldering gun anyway.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ht=vega+v-tune

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

bluetooth update

Ok, spent some time hacking my helmet, I started by removing the faceshield and popping out the removable liner, you will see the snaps.
Then I proceeded to remove the thin membrane on the front of the helmet.
I cracked open the bluetooth module and turned up the volume and removed the buttons to control the volume. I fit the module to the helmet where I wanted it. and cut away about 1/4 inch deep of the styrofoam.
Then soldered the speakers on, the wires were of the same gauge.
I proceeded to cut small holes where the charging will be accessed, and on/off button, also the leds will be visible thru this hole. Before epoxying anything I turned on the bluetooth, paired with the phone and made a call. Everything worked fine.
So then I just epoxied and taped into place each item. Waited an hour or so and tested again with the helmet on, all worked fine.
Now for a final I need to try on the road, for safety I will set the phone for auto answer. I just had hand surgery a week and a half ago and need to wait a few more weeks before getting back on the bike. I pushed it to do the project but I am satisfied with the results so far. Just took my time and took some breaks, this is something that you shouldnt rush thru anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3258.JPG (199.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3260.JPG (85.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3261.JPG (184.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3262.JPG (158.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3263.JPG (77.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3265.JPG (138.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3266.JPG (156.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3268.JPG (157.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3269.JPG (136.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3271.JPG (132.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3272.JPG (176.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3273.JPG (144.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3274.JPG (140.0 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3276.JPG (168.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3278.JPG (153.9 KB, 122 views)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 PM

FLA-V
Thank you very much for the photos. I applaud you on your venture. Do you think the sound level will be loud enough to hear your phone over road noise? What about if you ride with foam ear plugs?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Nice job!!!!!

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

the test I did today was helmet on with open shield with the tv turned up, and talked with the wife who was in the other room with the house phone.....I will eventually get to do the final test on the road hopefully in a week or two and will report back here on the results, I dont think it will be used for any lengthy conversations, just a quick call coming in and tell them I will call when I get to my destination.As long as I can understand the other party I will have achieved my goal.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM

laid up for a while? uhhh when can I drop my helmet off for the FLA-V-BT-Mod

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Wait till you see it, I think youll be impressed.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
FLA-V
Thank you very much for the photos. I applaud you on your venture. Do you think the sound level will be loud enough to hear your phone over road noise? What about if you ride with foam ear plugs?
I'm always interested in ventures like these, but I bought a set of Shure in-ear speakers precisely to address the issues above. They come with several kinds of tips (foam, silicone, etc.), they're sound attenuating, and the sound quality is exceptional. Wireless is no advantage to me if sound quality suffers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 AM

I use the Scala Q2 with ear plugs, and the sound is fine. Music comes through and is enjoyable (I don't need high fidelity or anything on my bike just something to help pass the time), and phone calls are clear. So if yours are at least that good (which by some people's standards isn't that great) you should be fine.

Great looking install. Looks very factory.

Last edited by camaroz1985; 01-05-2010 at 09:57 AM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 AM

I use the Chatterbox XBI2 with helmet speakers and I always wear earplugs! I won't ride without earplugs...my ears already ring enough! The speakers actually sound much better with the earplugs in because the earplugs block the wind noise. I stream music and phone calls (don't get very many) from the Zumo 550 to the XBI2. Using the Zumo for the phone I get caller ID and can generally ignore the call and call them back when I can stop.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 PM

FLA-V I like your hack. If you find that the speakers you used don't don't sound good try using a set of iASUS helmet speakers. I have a set of them in my helmet and they work great. Well great with a headphone amp. I use a boostaroo to give the speakers some extra power. I've been meaning to post a thread about my setup but I haven't gotten to it yet and it's still a work in progress.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking if I wasnt satisfied with the speakers that I might do something like a earplug speaker.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA-V View Post
I was thinking if I wasnt satisfied with the speakers that I might do something like a earplug speaker.
if you got that route check out SkullCandy earbuds

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/all-p...FRQKswodfxJYQQ

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode