bike insurance compared - AZ to BC.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
bike insurance compared - AZ to BC....

Just renewed the insurance on BIG RED in AZ for another year. Pretty much FULL coverage including collision ($500 deduct) at $195.

When I did the GREEN HORNET back in April here in BC, it cost me $322 for the gov't REQUIRED minimum (including vehicle registration) for SIX months, PLUS another $320 (for the full year) for collision ($1,000 deduct) and comprehensive - fire and theft - so it's covered while it's stored and we're away in AZ.

So that comes to $53.50 per month (but ONLY covered to RIDE for six months!) here in BC, while my AZ 'tab' comes to $16.25US per month, good for ALL twelve, even tho' I can't be there for twelve....

Consider yourselves LUCKY if you do NOT live here in BC!!!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
There is a huge difference in the coverages in insurance between the US and Canada which is why there is a price difference. It is not the same product. For instance you can purchase car insurance with as little as $10,000 liability coverage in the US however in say Ontario $1,000,000 is the minimum required for liability coverage. The difference in liability coverage is just part of it. Also civil legal actions in Canada often have payouts of several hundred thousand dollars to millions if there is an injury or death resulting from an at fault driver.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-28-2014 at 02:05 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I quit doing full coverage on the bikes. Liability to cover any damage i do. Then un-insured,under-insured to cover if some one steals a car hits me or an illegal alien or just some dumb-azz without enough insurance. If i wreck my bike my damage is on me. Saved a lot of money that way.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When you still have loan to pay off the insurance is highest. But I'm paying over $500 per year, whereas my Vulcan was $220
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandopen View Post
When you still have loan to pay off the insurance is highest. But I'm paying over $500 per year, whereas my Vulcan was $220
True but you can also take out a personal loan for the money to pay cash for the bike. Then you don't have to worry about full coverage. The amount of time you have the bike financed you'll have wasted enough money to pay for about a third of the bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 01:49 PM

Ah touchè. I should be paying it off fairly soon anyway
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 02:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandopen View Post
Ah touchè. I should be paying it off fairly soon anyway

I'm paying $311.00 on the FJR in Cali. As you know they bend you over out here..I went with extra coverage on the un-insured, under-insured because the Sheriff of Los Angeles wants illegals to be able to use a library card as a forum of I.D. to be able to drive to and from work....:ba didea:

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-28-2014 at 02:36 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM

Fasteddie, if you're paying that much at your wise age for a relatively sedate, several year old bike I can't imagine what a 20 something with a new R-1 would pay!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
Fasteddie, if you're paying that much at your wise age for a relatively sedate, several year old bike I can't imagine what a 20 something with a new R-1 would pay!
That's why a lot of young guys around here take big risks breaking the law and riding without insurance. Happens too often.

I'm at $697 this year, full coverage on my '09 V. My permit is an extra charge at $48. I push my riding season to about 8 months, with only a few rides possible on each end of that in March and November.

Always trust your cape.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 09:46 AM

I'm in Southern Ontario.

$617/year - $1,000,000 liability, comprehensive and collision coverage. Would be roughly $400/year without collision and some specified perils.

No tickets for 20+ years, licensed and have owned at least one bike continuously for 40 years.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
There is a huge difference in the coverages in insurance between the US and Canada which is why there is a price difference. It is not the same product. For instance you can purchase car insurance with as little as $10,000 liability coverage in the US however in say Ontario $1,000,000 is the minimum required for liability coverage. The difference in liability coverage is just part of it. Also civil legal actions in Canada often have payouts of several hundred thousand dollars to millions if there is an injury or death resulting from an at fault driver.
FWIW - when I moved to BC from Alberta (3 years back), I was paying aprox. $450 per year for my bike. Imagine my surprise to find that BC was charging about $100 per MONTH for the same coverage!

BC has gov't run insurance, and the $ go to "general revenues", making it a 'cash-cow' for the gov't. They are proposing a 5.x % increase for next year, which along w/ the last few years' increases, comes to aprox. 25% over 4 years...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:54 PM

Ouch... When I called my insurance company (Rider Ins.) the woman on the other end said "Oh this is a dual sport bike" and then gave me a rate for a dirt bike. I wasn't about to correct her...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
That's why a lot of young guys around here take big risks breaking the law and riding without insurance. Happens too often.

I'm at $697 this year, full coverage on my '09 V. My permit is an extra charge at $48. I push my riding season to about 8 months, with only a few rides possible on each end of that in March and November.
That's about what I'm paying here in Ottawa as well.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

And here's ANOTHER for you.

The AZ broker handling our home and auto insurance phoned to ask me to request a "review" of my auto-ins. charges, which I did. Just got the bill for a year (Nissan Maxima, full coverage). $547.50 now, compared w/ $743.20 last year.

- -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode