Avoid these Bobbins - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Avoid these Bobbins

Stay away from aluminum swingarm bobbins. I discovered that the left half of the spool that the stand attaches to had broken and separated somewhere on the road. The gouges on the 3rd photo are from vice grips- I needed to lube the chain so I used vice grips to prevent the bike from falling off the stand.

I went to Sonic Cycle (salvage) in London and got a set of proper steel (used) bobbins for $10. Sure, they are black and don't look real pretty on the swingarm, but who cares?... safety first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobbins.jpg (41.0 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg Bobbins2.jpg (38.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Bobbins3.jpg (18.9 KB, 179 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Stay away from aluminum swingarm bobbins. I discovered that the left half of the spool that the stand attaches to had broken and separated somewhere on the road. The gouges on the 3rd photo are from vice grips- I needed to lube the chain so I used vice grips to prevent the bike from falling off the stand.

I went to Sonic Cycle (salvage) in London and got a set of proper steel (used) bobbins for $10. Sure, they are black and don't look real pretty on the swingarm, but who cares?... safety first.
And it wasn't the result of a previous crash ou drop ???

I mean, their's not that much weight on those bobin for them to fail like that

Anyway, I will surely check mine this week-end to make sure that they haven't started cracking

Cheers

LOP
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
And it wasn't the result of a previous crash ou drop ???

I mean, their's not that much weight on those bobin for them to fail like that

LOP
No crash, just normal lifting with paddock stand to service the bike. The aluminum spool is not robust enough to bear the weight that pivots on the narrow stand supports. Look at the wear grooves in the second photo. That's where mine broke, at the thin, weakest spot.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 PM

Garage
Mine are kawasaki blue aluminum, I'm sure that adds about 100 pounds to their weight limit

'09 Versys
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 02:18 AM

Garage
Mine are motowerk aluminium I'm sure they are fine
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 06:48 AM

it's hard to tell from the low resolution photos but that failure looks like a brittle break from a poor alloy grade casting. all the aluminum spools that I've seen have been machined 6061 which would show more signs of a fracture initially followed by stretching and deformation rather than a clean break.

no reason to be afraid of all aluminum, but definately be wary of cast ones like those.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 11:44 PM

I've got some cheap Chinesee aluminum swingarm spools as well. The right side is about 1/2 way cut through, but the left is fine. I strongly suspect my Pack Jack is the culprit. I'll be replacing the spools shortly with....?

IBA 12512
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post

Yeah, an aluminum foundry is an art of a manufacturing process, so you can throw that out the window in China. I have a $10 pearl gold set on my rear just for my shop's use. I should go ahead and replace them, but they look a hell of a lot better than those that are cracked. It looks like using a steel jack and cheesy Chinese cast bobbins are not the ticket. The T-rex spools are about $50 shipped each: about 1/4 of many retail sliders.

Thanks for the pics, since it reminded me of never getting Chinese cast AL safety parts. I've got a centerstand, but I don't want an accident at the shop because I was negligent (and knew better too.) I'll probably let the shop have them if they sign a waiver that I'm no liable for the Chinese cast al items

Last edited by kawdog; 05-16-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode