Shop needed in NE NJ - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Shop needed in NE NJ

Hello, 09 versys owner here. I posted a while back about a knock that my bike developed. Never fixed the issue, and the bike has been standing around. So far every shop I contacted either doesn't work on sports bikes or doesn't want to do the work. One shop called circle cycle is actually giving me the run around and even told me to buy a new engine and install it. Last option is a dealer near me that I haven't contacted yet because I'm afraid they'll charge an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
Hello, 09 versys owner here. I posted a while back about a knock that my bike developed. Never fixed the issue, and the bike has been standing around. So far every shop I contacted either doesn't work on sports bikes or doesn't want to do the work. One shop called circle cycle is actually giving me the run around and even told me to buy a new engine and install it. Last option is a dealer near me that I haven't contacted yet because I'm afraid they'll charge an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mat
I have a 2013 V and I bought it from these guys. I have never brought it in for service though, I'm a DIYer. They are the closest that I know, I live in Bergen County.
http://www.pomptonsportcenter.com/

Have you tried BergenBMW/Harley Davidson? They sell all brands of used bikes, so I asssume they would service them too. Then there's motorcycle mall in belleville.

Good luck!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Motorcycle mall is the dealer I'm afraid will charge a lot. Pompton is one of my contacts I didn't call yet.

Thing is the bike needs an engine tear down and I'm not mechanically inclined to do that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the shop that told you to swap motors was speaking the truth. it's not economically feasible for you to have a shop do a tear down and rebuild on your trashed motor. at their shop hourly billing rate, plus their normal margin on parts, you would have more in the motor than the entire bike is worth with the rebuilt motor.

sell it as is, or part it out.
I understand you are trying to help by supplying your opinion but it didn't help me one bit. Defending the shop and throwing out words like 'trashed' seems like an attack towards me. I used this bike as a commuter to work without any beating done to it. You don't know my financial situation either and my information provided that I'm not willing to spend an arm and a leg doesn't mean that I'm being cheap on the fix, means that indie shops provide a better price compared to dealerships. Also, for the shop that's telling me to buy an engine, they are not being helpful at all. They are basically saying that I'm SOL without providing any leads on where to look for said engine.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres an engine on ebay...but shipping is up there..http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-Kawasaki-...b672fa&vxp=mtr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you weljo. I appreciate everyones help.

The motor isn't necessarily trashed, it is running but has a knock to it. There is a video in the thread I posted when the bike broke.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Type in your zip code...http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...installer.aspx .It will take you to shops in your area. Most of them do more than install tires. I found a really good shop with fair prices out here in California using the link...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I understand you are trying to help by supplying your opinion but it didn't help me one bit. Defending the shop and throwing out words like 'trashed' seems like an attack towards me...

Your getting good advice from the shop and jdrocks if you'd just listen.

If you pay somebody to take the motor out and cases split, you will quickly get into it for more than it's worth.

With a little legwork/searching/driving for a parts bike, you might break even if you sell the leftovers.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I understand you are trying to help by supplying your opinion but it didn't help me one bit. Defending the shop and throwing out words like 'trashed' seems like an attack towards me. I used this bike as a commuter to work without any beating done to it. You don't know my financial situation either and my information provided that I'm not willing to spend an arm and a leg doesn't mean that I'm being cheap on the fix, means that indie shops provide a better price compared to dealerships. Also, for the shop that's telling me to buy an engine, they are not being helpful at all. They are basically saying that I'm SOL without providing any leads on where to look for said engine.
Mamut - a LOT of guys here are trying to help you, saving you $ in the process.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Understandable. Help is always appreciated and I thank you for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode