Unleashed Performance: Engine
• With its larger displacement, the Z800 engine offers increased performance at all rpm. The greater performance is especially noticeable in the low-mid range, adding to greater everyday usability as well increased riding exhilaration.
• Responsive liquid-cooled engine with efficient 4-valve, DOHC cylinder head displaces 806 cm³ from a bore and stroke of 71.0 x 50.9 mm. With bore increased from 68.4 mm to 71.0 mm, the new engine offers greater performance at all rpm.
• Longer intake ducts (36.5 mm >> 41.5 mm) also suit the increased engine displacement and help to move the peak torque to a lower rpm. The ducts are also wider to accommodate the larger-diameter throttle bodies.
• Cylinder is an aluminium die-cast piece with plated bores (previously gravity cast with steel liners). Its open-deck construction (previously closed deck) contributes to a weight savings of approximately 1 kg.
• To offset the weight gained by larger-diameter pistons, piston height was reduced (47.2 mm >> 40.2 mm). The new pistons are approximately 10% lighter, reducing reciprocating weight.
• Larger oil jet diameter (0.8 mm >> 1.2 mm) increases piston cooling capacity, contributing to increased piston durability.
• Crankshaft journal fillets have a wider radius (1.5 mm >> 2.0 mm), offering increased durability to cope with the engine’s increased power.
• Oil pan features redesigned internal ribbing for increased durability.
• New cam chain with smaller side plates reduces the amount of the chain that contacts the chain guide for reduced operating friction.
• New intake valve seat material offers increased wear and heat resistance.
• Shorter final gearing care of a larger rear sprocket (43T >> 45T) contributes to stronger acceleration.
• Finishing treatment for 1st output gear and 5th input and output gears (dry cut >> shaving) deliver increased gear tooth durability.
• Revised layout for the clutch release shaft (5 mm longer, rotated 5° clockwise) offers improved clutch operation.
• Stronger spring setting load for the transmission’s position lever contributes to improved shift feel.
• Revised shape for the change shaft’s over-shift stopper offers increased durability.