New 800 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New 800

Seems to be a good source out there... EU.. claiming that Kawasaki is working on a new Versys...Supposedly it will be a rival to the Triumph and BMW 800 It also states it will most likely have a beak...and the 650 motor will be punched out to 800 to directly compete in the DS style success story! Hope it makes it over to this side of the pond...stay tuned....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 PM

If it's not sold in the States (hello V1K) it's irrelevant.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:21 PM

If you get Hoghead' s beak your 650 will fly - no need for the 800.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Did notice on Kawasaki NZ web site that the V1000 is no longer listed so it has not sold here so maybe a 800 would be a better idea
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would only want the 800 if they made other improvements than just a larger engine. Driveshaft, electronic aids, TPMS, etc., and keep the same fuel economy.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 PM

I am more than satisfied with my 650 and my fuel economy. I just don't need more motor than that. It's a waste, as least for me.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
If it's not sold in the States (hello V1K) it's irrelevant.
^^^^^^^ World series baseball ..... only played in USA
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Did notice on Kawasaki NZ web site that the V1000 is no longer listed so it has not sold here so maybe a 800 would be a better idea
It's still on Kawa aus website. Z800 was a flop?
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:19 AM

2015 Z800

Unleashed Performance: Engine

• With its larger displacement, the Z800 engine offers increased performance at all rpm. The greater performance is especially noticeable in the low-mid range, adding to greater everyday usability as well increased riding exhilaration.
• Responsive liquid-cooled engine with efficient 4-valve, DOHC cylinder head displaces 806 cm³ from a bore and stroke of 71.0 x 50.9 mm. With bore increased from 68.4 mm to 71.0 mm, the new engine offers greater performance at all rpm.
• Longer intake ducts (36.5 mm >> 41.5 mm) also suit the increased engine displacement and help to move the peak torque to a lower rpm. The ducts are also wider to accommodate the larger-diameter throttle bodies.
• Cylinder is an aluminium die-cast piece with plated bores (previously gravity cast with steel liners). Its open-deck construction (previously closed deck) contributes to a weight savings of approximately 1 kg.
• To offset the weight gained by larger-diameter pistons, piston height was reduced (47.2 mm >> 40.2 mm). The new pistons are approximately 10% lighter, reducing reciprocating weight.
• Larger oil jet diameter (0.8 mm >> 1.2 mm) increases piston cooling capacity, contributing to increased piston durability.
• Crankshaft journal fillets have a wider radius (1.5 mm >> 2.0 mm), offering increased durability to cope with the engine’s increased power.
• Oil pan features redesigned internal ribbing for increased durability.
• New cam chain with smaller side plates reduces the amount of the chain that contacts the chain guide for reduced operating friction.
• New intake valve seat material offers increased wear and heat resistance.
• Shorter final gearing care of a larger rear sprocket (43T >> 45T) contributes to stronger acceleration.
• Finishing treatment for 1st output gear and 5th input and output gears (dry cut >> shaving) deliver increased gear tooth durability.
• Revised layout for the clutch release shaft (5 mm longer, rotated 5° clockwise) offers improved clutch operation.
• Stronger spring setting load for the transmission’s position lever contributes to improved shift feel.
• Revised shape for the change shaft’s over-shift stopper offers increased durability.

http://www.kawasaki-la.com/la-en/pro...5-z800#color-2

Last edited by invader; 08-27-2014 at 03:22 AM.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
It's still on Kawa aus website. Z800 was a flop?
A real good riding buddy of mine rides the last of the Z750 but it has a terrible seat and ergonomic position, its not a lot different in weight than my Ninja 1000 but the Ninja is far better bike and he now wants a bike like that, I am going to upgrade my 2011 ninja for the upgraded 2014 Ninja 1000.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reniram View Post
Supposedly it will be a rival to the Triumph and BMW 800 It also states it will most likely have a beak...

and the 650 motor will be punched out to 800 to directly compete in the DS style success story!

Hope it makes it over to this side of the pond...stay tuned....
1. A Beak? What is the purpose of a beak? I get it folks, it is all about the style. I made a little filler panel for my Versys because I thought the fairing seemed incomplete. But in the end it is a piece of plastic. I guess that is what it takes to sell an adventure bike these days.

2. The bigger the engine, the more power. Duh. I would welcome it if the 800 weighed the same as the 650. I was talking with the Kawi rep the other day. He told me that the sport bike crowd has really accepted the Ninja 300 as a legit sport bike, and it has really cut into the Ninja 650s sales. The 300 has a dismal 40hp, but it is 100lbs lighter than the 650. Many people are starting to view the 300 as the step below the super sports. (ZX6, ZX10) It might be logical to drop the 650 platform all together. When you think about it, they could produce a ER3N based on the Ninja 300, which should sell well. Then produce a ER8N and a Versys 800 as a mid weight platform (Chain drive, Traction Control, ABS, with similar performance numbers to the Vstrom 1000). Then they would be in a good position to develop a heavy weight adventure tourer based on the shaft drive Concourse 14 that would open a can of whoop ass on all the 1200s of the world.

3. If you mean in North America, good luck. Unless they make a chromed out version.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 AM

2015 ER-6f/Ninja 650 does have a new double pipe frame and swingarm...

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/product...Q4MWVBcDlhRC1E
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Although I live north of the border, I'm a long time baseball fan and I will tell you why, as I understand it, that it's called the World series. Many years ago the series was sponsored by a newspaper called the New York World. It was not meant to be world in the global sense, and the name stuck.

Now back to meaningful Versys talk.

If the 800 becomes a real bike, I bet we get them here in Canada first- just like the original V and the 1000.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
It might be logical to drop the 650 platform all together.

Doesn't make sense to develop a new frame for a model that they intend to drop.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM

New 800

If they get the V 650 for 2015 with ABS, TC, auto brake balance, driveshaft and a dash board similar to the V1000....then guys Hallelujah: I will buy it and keep it until they put it with me in my grave....!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Purificator; 08-27-2014 at 10:57 AM.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:

With the notable exceptions of 1992 and 1993 when the Toronto Blue Jays brought the Fall Classic to Canada.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKyle View Post
I am more than satisfied with my 650 and my fuel economy. I just don't need more motor than that. It's a waste, as least for me.
Me TOO...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKyle View Post
This 650 is like lightning compared to what I'm used to - don't need or want any more giddyup.

Crossed shopped V's against the CB500X and might have gone that route except they're all new and a couple year old pre-farkled Versys is such a deal by comparison. But the 500 motor would have been a-ok by me.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post

True enough.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
2015 ER-6f/Ninja 650 does have a new double pipe frame and swingarm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post

That 2015 bike is the same as the 2012, it is far from "a new platform", it will be the 4th MY of the double tube frame.

Lets recap a bit on the Ninja 650 ER6 history:

- 2006 to 2008 - First MY, it was the solid mounted frame that also had the breaking issues.

- 2009 to 2011 - All new fairings, the frame is almost identical but it has the rubber mounts.

- 2012 to date - Double pipe frame.

If you look closely, Kawasaki has devoted very little money into R&D:

- The engine remains the same.
- Frame geometry is the same.
- Wheels, brakes, forks, suspension remain the same

All they did were plastics, a new frame/swingarm and a few tweaks to the electronics.

800cc? Doubt it:

1. The 650 engine can't be bored, end of story. For larger bores, to increase capacity, Kawasaki would have to design an all new engine.

2. Doesn't make sense to make the engine more powerful if the next big thing are A1 / LAMS bikes. ER6n twins fit in there just fine.

3. They already have the ZX-6R for people that want a race replica or more power than the ER6 twins. The sole bike using this 800cc twin would be the Versys, which has been traditionally a slow seller.

There is just not enough money there to develop a 800cc twin.

Z800 based Versys? That would be more likely, but given the fact that the Versys 1000 has been a royal flop, I don't see that happening.

And would you buy a Z800 based bike? At least the 650cc twin is a very modern engine. The Z800 engine would have looked modern... in 1980.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode