Buffeting help! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Buffeting help!

Ok here is the question, does a quality helmet make a difference with wind buffeting or is it just in the windscreen. I have the 18" Givi windscreen, a full face helmet (HJC), and wear ear plugs, but still get a tremendous amount of buffeting. It really takes the joy out of riding. I would like to fix this problem without spending a lot of money but not sure what to do. I know other people on this forum have this problem so how have you fixed this problem and is there a particular helmet style or brand that has improved it? Thanks in advance for any advice. Oh. I'm 6 feet tall and have a 2012 Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Your windshield is either too high, or not high enough. You are in the turbulent air that goes around the shield. I prefer an aerodynamic helmet and a lower screen.

You might want to conduct an experiment with screen height. Set it on the highest setting and start lowering yourself until you are just barely looking over it and see if the buffeting goes away. Also, put the stock shield on to where the wind hits you in the chest and see if you still get the buffeting.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:41 PM

Garage
Take the screen off. I'm 5'7" and found the Vario screen in the highest position best for me

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 PM

Garage
I found the standard screen worked best on the highest position. I also purchased the Vario screen. In the highest position, the wind was blowing right into my eyes. It was better in the middle position, but I'm still experimenting. I just bought a new Bell helmet and lowered the screen right down. I just haven't had time to try this combination.
I'm 6"3, but I'm more body than legs. Everyone if different, so experiment with what you have before you spend more money.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:19 PM

Is there any noticeable performance difference at speed between lower and higher settings? Like does the highest setting seem to need more throttle to maintain speed etc?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
2007 Versys-

The main problem is that the windscreen is mounted too upright... I had severe buffeting and wobbling when I switched to a taller 16.5" Mike's Shields windscreen. I just cut the mounts in two, milled them down, and remounted them with bolted metal plates. I adjusted them so the windscreen is as tilted back as possible, without hitting my handguards at full steering lock... Problem solved.

Last edited by invader; 08-28-2014 at 03:55 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Take your screen off and go for a ride naked - YOU will be quite surprised how good it is - but freeways speeds suck!

I suffered a lot of buffeting from the Stock Tall Screen
I'm 6' 4.5" (195cm) tall
I even raised my screen with a riser I made which did help reduce top buffeting but then it introduced bad side buffeting:

So I bought a MadStad 20" (you can get 18" screens as well) Sports Screen locally in Australia rather than ship from overseas. I considered California Science but uses stock 3 position adjustment - no way.

MadStad with adjustable Robobrackets are so adjustable up and down and forward and backward you will find a good screen position.
Buffeting is now gone...

Downside with ANY larger screen - you have less airflow over your helmet which means less cooling if you are wearing a full face helmet - so you can heat up a bit more.
BUT I can ride now at freeway speeds with the visor cracked open.

My View:

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:09 PM

I just installed an Ermax in the top position and it completely eliminated the buffeting of my Givi. The shield sits well below where my Givi sat. I believe the higher position not only reduces the approach angle, but also allows more air to travel underneath the windshield. That air is then allowed to aerodynamically mix with the air coming over the top and reduce or eliminate the buffeting. Try the top, you may like it. The only down side is I now get more bugs that hit my face shield.

jf
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:54 PM

Hi there folks... I put on a Puig screen on my Versys... I found that I placed some spacers on the top 2 holding bolts and brought the angle (of the screen)forward and made a huge difference! I played around with it a couple of times until I found the perfect spot (about 8mm thick rubber spacer)... no head bufferting at all - I wear a flip helmet and really enjoy the screen.... check my photos and you'll see the Puig screen... thanks Andreas
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandopen View Post
Is there any noticeable performance difference at speed between lower and higher settings? Like does the highest setting seem to need more throttle to maintain speed etc?
No
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. My Givi is mounted on the top two holes but can put in back down to the lower and try that out but I am not holding my breath. I may try the stock screen again too but not sure I will like the wind hitting my chest either. So it seems like most people agree it is the steep angle of the Givi that is causing the problem and I am not sure how lowering it will help that. There also seems to be a lot of different windscreens now so its hard to decide which one would work best. Seems as though the Madstad has the best versatility but a bit on the costly side.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The main problem is that the windscreen is mounted too upright... I had severe buffeting and wobbling when I switched to a taller 16.5" Mike's Shields windscreen. I just cut the mounts in two, milled them down, and remounted them with bolted metal plates. I adjusted them so the windscreen is as tilted back as possible, without hitting my handguards at full steering lock... Problem solved.
Right now (hot part of the year) I'm using the stock screen (on my Madstad) tilted quite far back towards me - NO buffeting. 5' 10".

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Is the only place to purchase a Madstad directly from them or is there somewhere else online that sells them. Also, it looks like you have to buy the bracket and screen together, you can't just buy the bracket?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Gees I wish people would with Mk1 bikes (07-09) would stop posting fixes to Mk2 bike screen issues when the OP topic is for Mk2 (10+).

The screens and mounting brackets are different - we cannot use you advice on how it works for you.

so upside down stock screen and doubled up stock and givi's will not work on a Mk2 Versys

/rant

it makes it really confusing when searching. This is the 2nd thread like this for Mk2 problems.

I confess I have jumped in to a Mk1 thread but then the OP thread did not state it and I apologized.

/tough day at office and liquor induced attack on the keyboard as I didn't win an R1 Shock auction
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 AM

All good ideas and advice. One thing I do is keep the front fairing and stock screen polished and my helmet as well. The stock screen works fine for me even at interstate speeds. But my tolerate level is different than some, it just doesn't bother me as much.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by layduke15 View Post
Is the only place to purchase a Madstad directly from them or is there somewhere else online that sells them. Also, it looks like you have to buy the bracket and screen together, you can't just buy the bracket?
Bought both my Madstads from the "FOR SALE" section in this forum.

BTW - when I posted up what works for me regarding buffeting, it was that tilting BACK the screen did. The airflow hits the upper part of my chest, my helmet in "clean" air. THAT will work on either Gen 1s or Gen 2s, once you figure out HOW to tilt your 'shield....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Bought both my Madstads from the "FOR SALE" section in this forum.

BTW - when I posted up what works for me regarding buffeting, it was that tilting BACK the screen did. The airflow hits the upper part of my chest, my helmet in "clean" air. THAT will work on either Gen 1s or Gen 2s, once you figure out HOW to tilt your 'shield....

I understand what works and thanks for sharing the tip - but on a Mk2 the screen has only 3 positions Low, High and tilted slightly forward.

All the aftermarket screens for the Mk2 Versys use the same mount position EXCEPT the Madstad Robobracket. (unless there is some other bracket)

The RoboBracket allows for more adjustability than you need - so you will find a position you will like. Also it is quick and easy to adjust with just 2 knobs to undo and the screen is free to slide around into whatever position you need.

Here is my current position - it is quite raked back:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode