Suzuki Freewind - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Suzuki Freewind

Anyone heard of this bike? I found about it a few days ago and really fell in love with it. I've since learned it was made from 1997-2004 and never sold in the US. It was supposed to be Japan's answer to the BMW F650.

Review here: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ind-16289.html

Thoughts? Comments? Do you guys think this bike would sell well is Suzuki brought it to market in the US today?

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think it would sell in big numbers. Guys like us would probably buy it, at least the shorter guys, but probably not the main stream...

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

...Might make a good Hill Country bike eh, Bear?

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Oh yeah!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

So did you get a Versys yet or are you looking else where?

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I had a trade all worked out until I saw the 2010 Versys and decided to wait. I contacted several UK dealers about purchasing the Solar Yellow body panels to put on a US model if I get one. Kawasaki USA can't friggin offer decent colors in my opinion!

My Multistrada's fuel tank is expanding due to the ethanol in our gasoline. It'll go into the shop here in Houston next week for a warrenty replacement. Apparently it is very common with most all Ducs made in the last 9 years.

So yeah, I'm still looking for another bike. The FREEWIND caught my attention and I got all excited until I saw it was a short-lived, non-USA bike. The Yammy FZ6 is discontinued for 2010, but there's an FZ8 coming out....sometime. So yeah...I'm still all about the Versys...just waiting for the moment. I need to sell the Multi, so I may buy next spring after the Multi sells and I've read some reviews of the 2010 Versys! This was a long post!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

I agree about the colors. The 2010 yellow/black looks WAY better than the black offered in the USA.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 08:19 PM

How bout importing that Honda Varadero...One hell of a bike...VTwin, 1000 cc and a seat that doesn't look like it'll pulverize the boyz

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
How bout importing that Honda Varadero...One hell of a bike...VTwin, 1000 cc and a seat that doesn't look like it'll pulverize the boyz
Yeah, I was big into the Varadero a few years ago but finally gave up hope it would be imported here. Plus, the damn thing is expensive! It'd be close to $16,000 if they brought it here. Canada got them last year, so maybe who knows...we may see them eventually. I can't make myself pay that kind of money for a bike that doesn't even have an inverted front fork.

Now, if I can just find a Freewind for my 2nd bike.....

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Not a big fan of the Varadero.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Not a big fan of the Varadero.
...ya know, it almost looks like a larger version of the Versys.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

I think it looks more V-stromish. There's just something not right about it. I can't pin it down, but something looks odd. Same with the new Multistrada 1200. It has a nice rear end & seating area, but the front end is freaky looking. I know, I know, the Versys has one weird headlight, & that's true. But I give them credit for being different...

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the looks are 'eh', but I dug up a little more info on it, and the Varadero has the linked brakes like the VFR1200. The early Varaderos suffered from reliability problems and issues with the linked brakes.

I still want a Freewind.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 AM

I was seriously considering the Freewind some years back. Received great reviews, wasn't expensive, but only sold in small numbers here in Denmark. Had a short demo ride on one, but don't really remember too well or can compare it to anything. (Now rides 6n, not Versys )
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfghf55y5h View Post
I was seriously considering the Freewind some years back. Received great reviews, wasn't expensive, but only sold in small numbers here in Denmark. Had a short demo ride on one, but don't really remember too well or can compare it to anything. (Now rides 6n, not Versys )

Yeah, it's too bad it wasn't sold longer or sold in the US. Everything I've read makes it sound like a great bike. I've not run across ANY reason why it was discontinued. Really weird. For Suzuki to make a bike of that type and discontinue it after only a few years defies all sales/marketing logic. It seemed like a stable platform with an excellent motor that performed just like a BMW 650F for a fraction of the price without the costly and frenquent BMW services. Total bummer. Wish they'd bring it back....I'd add one to the garage tomorrow if they were available!

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 PM

Can you say KLR?

Looks basically the same to me and I have one, a KLR.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode