first issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
first issue

Leftover '13 and about a month old and 625 miles. Just yesterday I decided to do the 600 mile service myself and discovered an accumulation of green and white powder around some of the bolts on the water pump. There were also a couple dried droplets on the inner part of that small faring, and nothing on my floor, which tells me it is probably forming droplets whilst riding at normal operating temps. Maybe a gasket failure?

image hosting adult

Anyway, called the dealer so they can take care of it. And they had better warrant my claim instead of feed me bs for not handing the 600mi service to them.

During my check-offs I also adjusted idle, clutch play, chain slack, and of course oil change. I also added several small neodium magnets to the drain plug which were just the right size to fit inside the bolt head's circle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Use to be a problem with 09's weeping so the dealer should be aware of the problem..If anything you should ask for the dealer prep fee they charged since it was overlooked when delivered..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:24 PM

Mine came with 1 mile on it, and the coolant started leaking out of the top of the engine on the left side. Green all over the motor and on the lower cowlings. It ended up emptying the reserve tank entirely.. I filled it up, and now it leaks very minimally, but theres still green crust around the hose... The dealers have to learn about heat and expansion. That with a new bike, or fresh hose-clamp, you must get the bike to operating temp, shut off and let cool to room temp, and then re-tighten these clamps.

Let's see what they say about this one, though..

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I was nearly tempted to clean the area and go for another ride, but decided to just clean inside the faring first. After the ride I saw some spots show back up.

If they can't/don't fix it under warranty I'll deal with it myself anyway. I have a longstanding non-relationship with dealers and general mechanics alike. Many stories. Most were redeemed but the hassle and waiting is not worth it
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
They should take care of it..If they give you a hassle look in the back of the owners manual. There should be a number for you to call if the dealer doesn't take care of the problem. I had to do it with a Ford Mustang Cobra once and the dealership jumped through hoops to get me taken care of also provided me with a very nice loaner car.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 PM

Always take a new bike on for the first service...

Good luck.

Hooligan
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
Always take a new bike on for the first service...

Good luck.
I used to feel that way. But with the amount of time I spend in and under my vehicles I doubt that anyone else knows what's going on with them better than I do. Who's to say this wouldn't have gone overlooked by the mechanic had I taken it in for the 600mi service? I had the time at home to scrutinize every part of that bike, unlike the mechanic that has a finite period of time till the next job
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Document the work that you do, photos, reciepts for oil and filter etc and there is no legal reason to deny warranty claims. Nowhere does it state that a dealer must do the work.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandopen View Post
But with the amount of time I spend in and under my vehicles I doubt that anyone else knows what's going on with them better than I do. Who's to say this wouldn't have gone overlooked by the mechanic had I taken it in for the 600mi service?
Totally agree. A close buddy took his brand new Honda crf250r back to the dealer this week for its first service. Shortly after getting it back, he notices an unusual amount of chain noise. He found they had tightened the chain to different tick marks on each side. He took it back and they fixed it. Then a coolant leak occurs and he discovers the cap sitting on the reservoir but not screwed on.
I've had similar issues with cars as well. Unless you have no inclination to turn a wrench, ever, or REALLY like hanging out at your dealership, then it's definitely not worth the extra time, money, and hassle to take the bike to someone else.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Im taking her in tomorrow for work to be done (hopefully) tuesday, so ill update with the verdict then.

And im planning on driving it over so i can also see how difficult it is for me to get it in the truck. Sometimes i hate having only a 6' bed
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 PM

Garage
Quote:

And im planning on driving it over so i can also see how difficult it is for me to get it in the truck. Sometimes i hate having only a 6' bed
I fit my V in my Honda Ridgeline with a 5' bed no problem.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I fit my V in my Honda Ridgeline with a 5' bed no problem.
Couldn't get the gate up

Update: they ordered parts, sounded like a new seal, which will be in 5-7 business days.

Of course this is right when the weather is getting real nice around here
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Couldn't get the gate up
Never closed the gate in my Ridgeline, Colorado, my dads Tacoma or his Ranger.
Never had any problems with the gates or cables. Only problem ever was when towing a trailer behind the Colorado with the gate down and to short of a draw bar. The jacknon the trailer dented the tailgate while turning.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

In any case I was ultimately testing the actual procedure of putting the bike in the bed of the truck . It wasn't necessarily bad, I only missed closing the gate by a few inches

I have no plans to travel that way unless I'm going to the dealer for warranty items, which I did this last trip
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

So the dealer called me yesterday....to tell me the license plate was in. I said "great! Want to put it on for me? The bike will be there for at least the next week"

Getting so antsy because the weather is so nice. It's going to rain the day they tell me its done, I know it
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Got her back. Here is the itemized, and warranted list:

-ring-o, case-housing
-ring-o, 33.2mm
-seal-oil, 12x28.55x5
-seal-mechanical
-ring-o, housing-pump c

So it was an internal leak in the water pump. When I dropped it off two Saturdays ago they tried to tell me it was still breaking in
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
well glad you got it back hope you dont have any more problems
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Got her back. Here is the itemized, and warranted list:

-ring-o, case-housing
-ring-o, 33.2mm
-seal-oil, 12x28.55x5
-seal-mechanical
-ring-o, housing-pump c

So it was an internal leak in the water pump. When I dropped it off two Saturdays ago they tried to tell me it was still breaking in
Just gotta love dealerships....at least they did take care of it for you.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 AM

So - a mechanical seal problem.

For the 'benefit of the doubt' crowd - since I've had such good luck with my local dealerships over the years... they aren't all devious schemers after your money...

Is it *possible* that the dealer was honestly thinking it was a break-in issue - since mechanical seals can be held open by a tiny bit of grit that could eventually flush out, or perhaps a surface imperfection on the seal itself that would eventually "wear in", and the problem correct itself?

These sorts of issues do pop up with mechanical seals, and sometimes they fix themselves. Seen it a hundred times. They are surprisingly simple devices that perform quite a complex task under a wide range of conditions - usually quite well.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor zero View Post
So - a mechanical seal problem.

For the 'benefit of the doubt' crowd - since I've had such good luck with my local dealerships over the years... they aren't all devious schemers after your money...

Is it *possible* that the dealer was honestly thinking it was a break-in issue - since mechanical seals can be held open by a tiny bit of grit that could eventually flush out, or perhaps a surface imperfection on the seal itself that would eventually "wear in", and the problem correct itself?

These sorts of issues do pop up with mechanical seals, and sometimes they fix themselves. Seen it a hundred times. They are surprisingly simple devices that perform quite a complex task under a wide range of conditions - usually quite well.
I see where you're coming from, as I like to play devil's advocate just to get the other side of things. They first cited a Honda bulletin about leaking or "weeping" seals or areas around water pumps, but right then I asked the service writer to indulge me and look at the area I was talking about. Without saying much more than that they will take a look at it they took the bike and I went on my way

I suppose they could have just as easily told me they looked into it and found it to be normal that following tuesday, but obviously they decided to order parts to replace instead

And then of course you have to wonder if that was done because it was genuinely needed, or they may be trying to get me to return again because my concern was addressed and fixed in a timely manner

Either way this issue has been settled. I'm sure the next 10 or so months left on warranty will go by just fine and any issue after then will be dealt with by me and my plethora of tools and resources....except tire mounting lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode