Installing Lowering Kits - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Smile Installing Lowering Kits

Speedy:
Today, I installed the lowering kit, lowered the front end, and lowered the foot pegs; all on a 2009 Versus. Everything worked great. I have a couple of suggestions that would have helped me:

1. To stabilize and raise the bike, tie each side of the handle bar about six feet out to a work bench, and block the front wheel so it will not roll. Remove the bottom cowling. Then place a wood block under the motor and jack up on the block until the rear wheel just clears the ground. Leave the block under the motor for both the lowering kit, and for lowering the front end.

2. When lowering the front end, loosen the top bolt and the second bolt completely, then very slowly loosen the third (bottom) bolt. If you loosen it too fast, too soon, the fork will rapidly move up and past the smooth area. However, with the motor blocked up, one can pull the fork back down with a bit of effort.

3. When installing the lowering kit stainless bolt (tying the block to the swinging arm), it's a bit easier to just lower the bike slowly until the lowering block is against the swinging arm - instead of lifting the swinging arm. This is very useful if you're doing the job without a second person.

I'm very pleased with the kit, the service - and the Christmas card and wrapping. Good Luck with your business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard and thanks for the tips & kind words for Speedy. We kinda like him around here...

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:51 AM

HEY THERE!
This is perfect timing for me; I just got my Speedy kit in the mail and I was wondering how I'm going to get this done all by myself.
I'm not sure if I understand you right; Did you run a tie-down from each end of the handlebar out 6 feet to the left and then 6 feet to the right? Or did you run them out in front of the bike 6 feet apart from eachother to triangulate it?

Thanks from the perceptually challenged....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 PM

*Shew* Sounds tiring. I'm glad a bread-knife to the seat was all I needed.

Good luck with your installs.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
*Shew* Sounds tiring. I'm glad a bread-knife to the seat was all I needed.

Good luck with your installs.
Was that a serrated knife or a smooth knife ? Or an electric knife ? What did you use to take out the staples ? How did you get them back in ?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Was that a serrated knife or a smooth knife ? Or an electric knife ? What did you use to take out the staples ? How did you get them back in ?
I used very sharp serrated as well as smooth knives to cut the foam (medium-pressure sawing motions work the best). I used a thin flat-head screwdriver to take out the staples and both an electric and hand staple guns to put them back in. The shorter the staples you put back in the better as they'll want to go back up through the much shallower foam. Half the time the electric gun was too weak to put the staples through the plastic, but the hand staple gun did a good job.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 PM

Thanx.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Hi Doink1968,
I started to respond and make a keystroke error and lost the reply. Hope this one works.

To clarify, I tied the bike to solid posts; one six feet to the right and another six feet to the left of the bike, using nylon webbing (no stretch) from the handle bar to the posts.
I blocked the front wheel so it wouldn't roll either forward or backward.

I was thinking that you might be interested in the results of the lowering exercise. I needed to get a 30 inch seat height for my feet to touch the ground comfortably. Here's how it went.

Height above the ground in inches:
1. Stock seat: 33 3/8 (1/4 inch higher than spec)
2. Thin gel seat from Kawasaki: 31 3/4 (1 5/8 inch drop; 2 inches is advertised)
3. Lowering Kit: 30 1/8 (1 5/8 inch drop)
4. Lower Front End per instruction: 30 (total of 1 3/4 for the kit, with lower frontend)

So, I got my 30 inch seat height, and am happy with the result, pricy as it was.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Thanks!

HEY SCOTTY!
Thanks for the clarification. That does help a lot, and that's exactly what I assumed when I first read your post, but in thinking about it, it seemed it could make sense either way, and I don't want to drop my bike on the floor of the garage trying to do something bass-ackwards!
I'm hoping to get to mine in the next couple of weeks, but living in Maine, there's no rush. I won't be riding it any time soon, lower or not! (although I did sneak out for an hour or so on Christmas day - thank goodness for heated grips. I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode