Baaad Seat. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Baaad Seat.

I'm a patient person, and I tried my best, but, after 3 years, I've finally had enough of this seat!

What a truly bad design. As it ages (or perhaps as I age), it gets worse! I thought the seat would soften up a bit, like the seat on EVERY OTHER MC I'VE EVER OWNED, but no. I put some washers under the front mount to try to level it, but that was all I tried. It helped a bit, but I didn't like the gap it left between the seat and the body panels, or the obvious stress on the plastic pan of the seat... And it shouldn't be necessary!

Ordered an Airhawk II Medium Cruiser yesterday. We shall see.

Man, what a PITA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor zero View Post
...I put some washers under the front mount to try to level it, but that was all I tried. It helped a bit, but I didn't like the gap it left between the seat and the body panels, or the obvious stress on the plastic pan of the seat....
The "stress on the plastic pan" can't be too much - my '08 has 51,xxx miles of which almost ALL are w/ the front of the seat raised 9/16" (I weigh about 200# suited-up), while my '09 has 47,xxx kms, same set-up.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My opinion the stock seat is okay to ride 300 miles plus with no issues but I do own a air hawk medium cruiser and it does help me to ride for multiple days in a row feeling more relaxed at end of day.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Ya, I know the plastic pan can take it. Just don't think it should have to!

I can ride it about 100km/60 miles before I start to get pretty uncomfortable and need to get off and move a round a bit. That's fine, and expected, and I do that no matter what I'm riding, always have. But on a longer day, I find myself starting to dread getting back on.

Now - it could be a function of aging, for sure. But this is the first bike I've owned that bothered me this much, and it's obvious why - the damn thing tilts forward and down, and is very hard. If I trade with a friend, I invariably am more comfortable on a different bike, and my friends invariably comment about the seat on mine...
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
My opinion the stock seat is okay to ride 300 miles plus with no issues but I do own a air hawk medium cruiser and it does help me to ride for multiple days in a row feeling more relaxed at end of day.
+1 - the stock seat is a one size fits all option for general riding. If you have a rear shape on the outside edge of the bell curve or different riding needs an after market seat tailored for your needs may be in order.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 03:26 PM

I've ridden 16,000+ miles on my Versys, and over 500 miles in one day on the stock seat. In my honest opinion, I think it provides an acceptable level of comfort for me, however, that didn't stop me from ordering a Baldwin tall gel seat the other day.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I for one liked the slope of the seat. I matched perfectly the forward lean and the position of the pegs. When I had my custom seat built to eliminate the passenger portion, I kept the forward slope.

I agree that if you use risers on the handlebars and lowering pegs you should have a cruiser seat like the corbin, but if you ride it like a sport bike (it is a sport bike BTW) then the seat puts you in the perfect position.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

When I first tried the bike, I liked the position of the seat, and I still do - it's just a bit hard for me, and gets irritating after a while - moreso than I thought it would, and more than any other bike I've owned. I've owned more aggressive bikes with thinner seat pads that were more comfortable - for me.

As I said, I thought it would soften up a bit with use, and my butt would toughen up and get used to the seating position. Isn't happening. Bad S#*! happens when you age, and some of it is sneaky.

I'm glad some like it the way it is, Kawasaki wouldn't sell too many of them if that wasn't the case. But If one looks through the forums, the seat is a pretty common irritant item.

I like the rest of the bike just fine, and I eagerly await the Airhawk, and I really hope it helps. I'll ride further, and more often, and that's not a bad thing.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:08 PM

Air hawk 2

I ordered an Air Hawk 2 today. Gonna cost me $140 by the time I get it in Newfoundland, Canada. Hope all the reviews are right.

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 PM

Air Hawk!

You can't beat the Air Hawk! I've tried all of the cheaper gel pads and they suck. I finally coughed up the cash for an Air Hawk (got it at a motorcycle show booth for a little discount) and I don't regret it one bit.

It's worth every dime!

chris
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 PM

I agree, it is a bad seat. baaad seat.

Mines at the upholstery shop as I type getting the seat concepts cover tacked down over the new foam.. Hopefully get it back tomorrow and see how that does.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
DDL, I'm curious what your shop is charging to customize the seat. A shop here in town wnated to charge me $275, and Ifigured I would eventually just spend a $100 more and get a new Sergent seat.

I am one of the offballs out ther that has no real issues with the seat, even on a couple of 250 mile days. I did raise the front slight with 4 washers.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 AM

I went with a bead rider seat cover. It works pretty well, took some getting used but much better for longer rides.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The factory seat sucks.

My apologies to those of you that had your arse modeled so that Kawasaki could make you the perfect seat.

I got the Seat Concepts seat foam and cover. Darned thing raised me a good inch and a half, but it's so much better than the factory seat that it's not funny. Come to think of it, it wasn't funny in the first place. But, I digress.

They charge $20 to install the seat foam/cover on your factory seat and you also pay the shipping. I installed my own and it came out just fine, but I certainly would consider having THEM do it the next time.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
DDL, I'm curious what your shop is charging to customize the seat. A shop here in town wnated to charge me $275, and Ifigured I would eventually just spend a $100 more and get a new Sergent seat.

I am one of the offballs out ther that has no real issues with the seat, even on a couple of 250 mile days. I did raise the front slight with 4 washers.
I asked how much over the phone and the guy said $30-50 depending how long it took.

Picking it up on the way home so we'll see.

I wanted tall and this seat is known for that.. and that's why I chose it over the sarge.. (which I have had several of and they have been great)
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:07 PM

I did a little shaping to mine, and it helped a bit. I also added a Stearns ATV seat cover with the front doubled over to help with the slope. It helped out a ton, but I did get to a point where I could barely stand it. Mind you, I rode 620 miles, so it was a bit of a long day. I'm going to order the seat concepts if a little more shaping doesn't fix my stocker for good.

BAAAD SEAT.

2014 Versys ABS
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
The factory seat sucks.

I installed my own and it came out just fine, but I certainly would consider having THEM do it the next time.
AGREED! High quality stapler did not want to pierce the plastic...
But, after a year with it, I still find myself scooting around to find relief from the pain. My ass just HURTS.. The riding posture is better, and you're not sliding forward on your egg bag, but it is a pretty firm material with defined edges, and my buns hurt on an hour+ ride.

post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Got the seat back last night and it's on the bike. They charged me $75, said it took a full hour and they had to steam the cover to get it soft enough to stretch.

I'm ok with the $75 but they didn't do as good a job as I'd hoped for.. I found a tiny hole in the cover underneath the pan and they were a little stingy with the staples. Also instead of cutting v-notches to remove extra material they folded it up and stapled it down. but it looks good on the bike. The sitting area seems larger, flatter, firmer and higher. just what I was looking for.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
...I am one of the offballs out ther that has no real issues with the seat, even on a couple of 250 mile days. I did raise the front slight with 4 washers.
Guess I must be, TOO. I've done MANY 500 (or MORE) mile days, sometimes in a row, and my butt's OK...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I am one of the offballs out ther that has no real issues with the seat, even on a couple of 250 mile days.
Me too. I really have no idea why this seat gives people problems. It is wide at the back, narrow at the front for standing, and it features soft compliant foam.

What part of the seat is giving people issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode