Towing my versy on the cheap - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Rik

Towing my versy on the cheap

I have to move again....this time it's a real slog...from Oregon to Florida...I have a VW pickup and the bed/camper area will have to be used for household effects. I've seen these devices that allow you to affix the front wheel to the step bumper and tow. I'm on a serious (arent we all) budget so a trailer is pretty much out of my price range right now. Any and all suggestions welcome and thanks for an awesome site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 AM

It'd be good if you could take the chain off to tow it with the rear wheel dragged on the ground.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Rik

Yes, that was going to be my next question ....necessary chain removal

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:49 AM

Harbor Freight has several very cheap trailers starting at 199.99, they have several stores in Oregon. You could buy a trailer, tow the bike to Florida and then sell the trailer quick on Craigs list. This would be cheaper and saver than a bumper hitch. Good luck!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:07 PM

Check U Haul on both hitches and trailers. They normally would not charge for one way since you are going from/to popular spots. or,

Weld up a pocket for the fork bottoms that will bolt/clamp to the bumper. Remove front wheel and drop forks in a pocket or perhaps use the axle bolt through the welded up bracket. Strap down handlebars to side of pickup. Haul!

Krazo - ride every day there's traction!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:30 PM

I rented a U-Haul motorcycle trailer and it worked well. You would even have some room for you personal effects on the trailer, but I am not sure that they do one-way rentals. Only certain locations handle them, but if you can get one they are only $15 a day. There is a nook in the front of the trailer for the front wheel, a ramp and tie-downs in the trailer.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 03:38 PM

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 03:46 PM

Oops U-haul is not an option. from their web site "Only available for In-town rentals and must be returned to the location from which it was rented" I would give them a call anyway. Maybe they have one too many in OR and short one in FL. BTW trailering the bike with the rear tire down might mean a new rear tire by the time you reach FL. Good luck with the move.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Harbor Freight has several very cheap trailers starting at 199.99, they have several stores in Oregon. You could buy a trailer, tow the bike to Florida and then sell the trailer quick on Craigs list. This would be cheaper and saver than a bumper hitch. Good luck!
What Pegasus said: I bought a Harbor Freight trailer ($240???), towed my bike home, then covered the 'deck' with aluminum 'checker-plate', and sold it for $650 (or a bit more?).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Rik

THANKS GENTS! AS USUAL, AN AWESOME GROUP! I'M PROBABLY GOING TO GO WITH THE SMALLER HARBOR FREIGHT RIG AND BUILD A TIRE RAIL AFTER I SHEET IT IN PLYWOOD. LOOKS AS THOUGH I MAY HAVE A FEW INCHES HANGING OFF THE FRONT AND BACK EDGES IF WHEELBASE MEASUREMENTS ARE ACCURATE.
A LITTE "MCGUYVERING" OUGHT TO YIELD A STURDY RIG.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND MOTORING TO ALL!

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 04:45 AM

How about a hitch receiver mounted motorcycle carrier?

http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600...cle-hauler.htm
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
What Pegasus said: I bought a Harbor Freight trailer ($240???), towed my bike home, then covered the 'deck' with aluminum 'checker-plate', and sold it for $650 (or a bit more?).
What did you think of the Harbor Freight trailer. I have considered buying one, but was sure if it would hold up.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 03:14 PM

While you are in HF picking up your trailer, get yourself one of these, $12.99, you couldn't make it yourself cheaper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97145

Plus there are a lot of 20% off coupons in the back of most car and motorcycle magazines.

I have one of these, paid $29.99 less 20% coupon, it says $45.00, but that's BS.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96349

Machog

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Rick,
When I did mine (48"x36", near as I remember), there was NOT enough tongue weight UNTIL I moved the axle to the rear as much as possible - probably 12" or so. I used the last hole in the frame rails and drilled another. Worked like a DAMN once I did that! Towed my KLR650 from Mesa, AZ back to Didsbury, Alberta on it - 1700 miles over 2 1/2 days
Cheers,
Ed

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-20-2009 at 09:36 PM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 PM

Buy the trailer. Build the tire rail out over the tongue aways for length and weight distribution. If have to write off a rear tire from towing vs selling the trailer for a small loss, the trailer would be cheaper. Not to mention if you have a lapse of concentration and back up with the bike being towed on the ground could cause major damage to the bike if/when the bike jack knifes. Buy a spare tire, so you won't need one :-)

Good luck on your move to FL. Where in FL are you moving to?
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Thanks Bob

Well I'll be in Citrus County at Crystal River for starters and then maybe back down sarasota/Venice area. where are you located?
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:08 PM

Hey Rik, next county from citrus...im in Levy.
have to plan a ride after you get settled in...welcome to Florida.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 AM

I'd go trailer from harbor frieght or a hitch mounted carrier.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:17 PM

yea I would go the harbor freight option too cost same or less than have to worry about damage and rear tire replacement once you get here.

and glad to see another V in Florida we are going to have to get a local ride here soon I see it coming.....

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

I mentioned in an earlier post about moving the axle as far to the rear as possible. Here's a picture of the one I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01070.jpg (69.6 KB, 112 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode