New Corbin seat installed - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

New Corbin seat installed

Greetings Fellow V's,

Received my corbin seat about 10 days ago and couldn't get it on. Well had to leave for work for 10 days and got back and went straight for the bike and seat and still couldn't get it on. Called corbin customer service which fyi they kind of seem rude. Maybe its just because im used to southern hospitality. any ways trouble shot it with them for 30 mins then got transferred to Cal support from FLO support and no one has any ideas why its not fitting. Turns out that the front tab that fits under the tongue was put on upside down from the factory. Called em back and let them know that quality control needs to be made aware

Merry Christmas guys

Redeemed by the Grace of God
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Seems a common thing with them, the upside down tab & poor customer service, or so I've read...

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 PM

For the price of their seats they should be nicer. I have owned several over the years but had the same customer rudeness even talking to them at the BMW ralleys. Is a shame as they put out a pretty good product most of the time. Keep us posted about what you think of the seat after some miles.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:04 PM

i bought a corbin seat for my r1150rt bmw, damn thing didnt fit worth a crap and was miserable to sit on, and like many others i had no luck with customer support, so i sold the seat..later sold the bike.....and bought my V
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 12:55 AM

Complain to the owner of the place.... If that didn't work, stop buying from them!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 03:33 PM

Funny, I just got mine about 5 days ago.

I had a great experience with Corbin. Between the emails and phone calls, my CSR named Jessica was great. They made the seat about 1 inch higher for me, walked me through the whole process and it actually was built and delivered about 2 weeks sooner than I was expecting. I would rate the whole buying experience as really quite good and had no problems or rudeness whatsoever.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with them ttudesperado, As you know there really isn't much choice of saddles for us Versys pilots out there. I felt that the Corbin was the best option as it didn't reuse the stock seat pan which is likely the partial cause for the discomfort in the first place. I've heard about more bad than good experiences with them, however. For me, that was simply not the case.

As far as fit, when I put it on, it wouldnt fit either. The front tab went on OK, but the rear wouldn't latch. Searched on here and see that it is quite common to shim the rear loop with a couple of washers. Did that and it fits snug. Also found out from someone on here that if you add those 'lil felt pads to the rubber stop bumpers at the rear of the seat, it will actually fit better with a Givi rear rack. The seat is of very high quality. The mods were not a big deal, but I too kinda thought it should clip right on out of the box

From sitting on it in the garage, the seat feels like it will be way better than the stocker.
The only problem I have with my Corbin now is that we're getting about 35 cm of snow tonight, on top of the 5 we already have and I haven't been able to ride with the new seat yet at all!!!

Last edited by Trailslapper; 12-21-2009 at 08:10 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 03:56 PM

Has anyone compared the "thin" Versys seat with the Corbin Seat - for comfort?
And how does the thickness of the Corbin seat compare with the stock Versys seat?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

i looked at the kawi low seat but it was actually more that the corbin!! I have ridden about 100 mi on it and it hurts my back from the slight change in seat angle but no butt pains. Researched that it would take 1000mi to break in. No prob, im in Texas so the weather is usually friendly during the winter, however were getting an oh so rare white christmas during my time off that i could be riding

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:44 AM

Does the Corbin get rid of that slide-forward/wedgie/squish the nuts thing the stocker gives some of us? And is it easy to slide forward if you need to?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 AM

It sure does, you can go all day pain free, it is great
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Does the Corbin get rid of that slide-forward/wedgie/squish the nuts thing the stocker gives some of us? And is it easy to slide forward if you need to?

I actually think I slide more with my Corbin but it is not a slow creep slide and nut wedgie.... it comes from I sit all the way back and get SOME support out of the lip between the driver and passenger seat. So when I brake hard I slide up to the tank but that maybe the leather conditioner I use now that I think about it?

I picked mine up last month from the Corbin store in Daytona the service was great the sales guy told me to help with the break-in and care I should use a leather conditioner on the seat once a week, rub it in with my bare hands. and then at least once a month after that. feels good to the bottom so far and feels better the more I ride.

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

it took care of mine completely. Its a very nice seat, just gonna take some time to break in. Its very level at the posterior seat pan and a bit wider near the tank

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

motocop thanks for the info about the leather conditioning, i will start putting some mink oil on mine immediately

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode