Shoei RF 1000 helmets on sale at bikebandit.com for $189.00. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Shoei RF 1000 helmets on sale at bikebandit.com for $189.00.

Today only. It says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 PM

http://bikebandit.com Great deal and they have some left as of 5:15 pm! Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM

What to do

Jeez, wouldn't mind getting one, except don't know what size to get...I have a KBC size L (nice a snug), a HJC modular XL(fits perfect), and old Shoei 1000 L , to tight...Well gang Shoei's run small / large? Hard to pass up that price...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

It's late but... I'm L in HJC & Shoei

Maybe a helpful thing to remember is that Shoei fits oval/rectangular heads and Arai fits round heads. HJC is kinda in the middle.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Jeez, wouldn't mind getting one, except don't know what size to get...I have a KBC size L (nice a snug), a HJC modular XL(fits perfect), and old Shoei 1000 L , to tight...Well gang Shoei's run small / large? Hard to pass up that price...
I own a Large RF-1000, and when trying on KBCs a Large felt comparable to that of Shoei.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:23 PM

Bike Bandit's closeout sale on the RF-1000 is still on for now... Add coupon code "DUCATI123" and the price goes down to $178.94 shipped.
http://www.bikebandit.com/shoei-rf-1...ll-face-helmet

Competition Accessories has the RF-1000 Diabolic TC-5 in XL for $224.99.
http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1201001/p/17907
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Maybe a helpful thing to remember is that Shoei fits oval/rectangular heads and Arai fits round heads. HJC is kinda in the middle.
I think that is actually mostly backwards. Arai is the only company that differentiates clearly between the product lines/helmet shapes and, therefore, the only one that reliably advertises which one is which.

Signet/Profile/Viper are the long-oval shaped helmets. I know, because that's what my head looks like and it used to be the only helmet that fit me properly.
Vector/Corsair have an intermediate oval shape.
Quantum has a round-oval shape.

I've found most Shoei's to be somewhere between intermediate-oval and round-oval, except that the new RF1100 is more long than intermediate-oval (but the RF1000 is definitely more round - I could never get a good fit in that, even with different thickness cheek pads).

HJC's are mostly round-oval, but the AC series used to be between long and intermediate oval (I have an AC-X3 dirt helmet that fits perfectly, but can not wear most other HJC's I've tried)

I wear a medium Arai and same size Shoei (when they fit ). But, this will vary depending on how well your head fits a particular helmet shape.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 AM

$189 is an outstanding price for an excellent helmet. Arai's are great too but they're a proper b*tch to change visors on. Fitting is as Gustavo describes: Shoei fits rounder shaped heads, Arai fits most any head depending on the model line.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 05:52 AM

It is a real good price . But I wear a size small and snell changed some of their standards for 2010. I think these helmets are still the snell 2005l . But still an excellent price.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
I think that is actually mostly backwards. Arai is the only company that differentiates clearly between the product lines/helmet shapes and, therefore, the only one that reliably advertises which one is which.

Signet/Profile/Viper are the long-oval shaped helmets. I know, because that's what my head looks like and it used to be the only helmet that fit me properly.
Vector/Corsair have an intermediate oval shape.
Quantum has a round-oval shape.

I've found most Shoei's to be somewhere between intermediate-oval and round-oval, except that the new RF1100 is more long than intermediate-oval (but the RF1000 is definitely more round - I could never get a good fit in that, even with different thickness cheek pads).

HJC's are mostly round-oval, but the AC series used to be between long and intermediate oval (I have an AC-X3 dirt helmet that fits perfectly, but can not wear most other HJC's I've tried)

I wear a medium Arai and same size Shoei (when they fit ). But, this will vary depending on how well your head fits a particular helmet shape.

Gustavo
I could be mostly backwards. Because I do indeed get most things backwards. But I do know that I have a narrow long head and the RF 1000, in a large, fits me perfectly. The Arai I tried on was right in the front and back while you could shove a couple of Pirelli Diablo Stratas up past each ear. I'm passing along what the helmet salesman told me a out what helmet is round or long and narrow.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
But I do know that I have a narrow long head and the RF 1000, in a large, fits me perfectly. The Arai I tried on was right in the front and back while you could shove a couple of Pirelli Diablo Stratas up past each ear. I'm passing along what the helmet salesman told me a out what helmet is round or long and narrow.
It's possible that the Arai you tried on was a Quantum which is rounder than all other Arai models - you are right, they do not fit people with longer oval heads properly. If you have a long-oval head, next time try an Arai Profile, they should fit a lot better.

Gustavo

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's possible that the Arai you tried on was a Quantum which is rounder than all other Arai models - you are right, they do not fit people with longer oval heads properly. If you have a long-oval head, next time try an Arai Profile, they should fit a lot better.

Gustavo
It was a Quantum. The Quantum contributed to one of my complexes. I felt I should have had brains fillin' in that area where the Pirellis were. They looked funny too.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 06:45 PM

There's recently been some pretty bad press for Arai, Shoei, and Snell 2005 in general.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=dexter+ford
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
There's recently been some pretty bad press for Arai, Shoei, and Snell 2005 in general.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=dexter+ford
Seems fishy to me. The original article is on helmet testing is 4 years old. The NYT article that supposedly got Ford fired is a regurgitation of that same info. There is nothing new there, so why would helmet manufacturers (especially two that are introducing a whole new line of helmets that meet the new and "better" Snell 2010 standard) be up in arms about it? I'm not sure what Arai and Shoei had to do with his firing. Maybe Motorcyclist got pissed that he was using their data to sell articles to the NYT?

Gustavo

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Seems fishy to me. The original article is on helmet testing is 4 years old. The NYT article that supposedly got Ford fired is a regurgitation of that same info. There is nothing new there, so why would helmet manufacturers (especially two that are introducing a whole new line of helmets that meet the new and "better" Snell 2010 standard) be up in arms about it? I'm not sure what Arai and Shoei had to do with his firing. Maybe Motorcyclist got pissed that he was using their data to sell articles to the NYT?

Gustavo
Suppose 4 years ago Shoei / Arai say "If you ever bring that up again we'll pull our advertising".
Fast forward to the present and a Motorcyclist editor brings it up again.
Arai / Shoei make a stink again and Motorcyclist says "It's not our fault this time, we'll sack him"

As to what they have to lose, this whole thread is about snell 2005 rated helmets being dumped at a fraction of their usual prices.

I'm not saying they're bad helmets, but I've long believed that all you get for paying more for a helmet is additional comfort, not safety.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
As to what they have to lose, this whole thread is about snell 2005 rated helmets being dumped at a fraction of their usual prices.
Shoei has a new RF1100 out. The old RF1000 are being "dumped" at a fraction of their price as they are at the end of every model year by the distributors that have excess stock. Probably at better prices this year due to the slow economy. There are even nice discounts on the new, just released (and Snell 2010 compliant), RF1100 due to the same reason and not only at the web based discounters, all my local dealers have the similar deals. I think you are reading too much into this year end sale.

Gustavo

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 PM

They are $285 today, and unless you are a small, your choice is royal blue or wine.

My Album:
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 08:08 AM

I bought a RF1000 at cycle gear a few months ago,I REALLY like that LID

AMA EAA STN
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 06:42 AM

I just got a new flip face Scorpion for X-Mas. It was $263 and real pretty. In fact, too pretty. I'm afraid to take it outside.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM

i know its not that helpful now but i love my RF-1000. very comfortable and quite at speed as long as it is in clean air.

2008 versys red with full luggage

"when in doubt ghetto it out"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in