Buying a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Buying a Versys

I am in east coast Canada and can buy a leftover new 09 Versys for $7800CDN or a used 09 Versys with ~700 miles for ~$6800CDN or a new 00 Versys for ~$8300CDN. What should I do? FYI the exchange rate is ~$1CDN = $0.90US
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All those prices seem a bit high even after the conversion, but I suppose taxes and tariffs take their toll.

I'd go with the used one but it's your money and you can see the bikes in person.
You'll have more warranty if you buy one of the new ones but I wouldn't base a purchasing decision too heavily on that.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 03:48 AM

thats a very personal question
there are people I know who will only buy new cars or bikes because they want the new vehicle experience or they don't want a vehicle (ab)used by others.

theres others I know who wont buy new becuase of th all the tax and other stuff that depreciates the vehicle from new.

ultimately its down to you.

If I had so much money I didn't know better I think I'd be tempted to buy new, mind you if I had that sort of money I'd be tmepted with soemthing else. as good as the Versys is, its only good for the money. if you take the cash out of the equation then other bikes become as attractive.. Ducati Mulistrada anyone. fantasy motorbikes can be so attractive and theoretically expensive

however as I bought a second hand Versys last year I'd go with the used one and pocket the extra C$1000.

I'd agree those prices seem high to me. I think the new 09's will get cheaper closer to the launch of the new one. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2010 model gets a little more stuck on it when it finally hits the road

ulitmately its your bike, you know your finances. the premium to have a new bike is C$1500 or approximately 20%. is taking a hit of 20% just to ride a bike that has done 700 miles less worth it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 AM

My vote is for the used one. If you can afford the new one, you can afford to buy the used and then get every accessory you could possibly want and still spend less.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 AM

If you like the new look go for 10.
If you like the old look buy the used one. 700 miles is nothing. This bike is so reliable that nothing can go wrong.

know, color is a different thing
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 AM

If it were me, I'd buy the used '09 and spend the difference on farkles.

You know you will spend the farkle money, even if you buy new.

Also the '10 models may not have the accessory availability for some time.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:52 AM

As said, it is just a personal preference, most of the differences are minor. That said, I prefer the styling on the 09, but have not ridden an 10 yet. Here is what I would do, I would make a low offer on the new 09; that is one the dealer should be most willing to make discounts on.

My Album:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I am in east coast Canada and can buy a leftover new 09 Versys for $7800CDN or a used 09 Versys with ~700 miles for ~$6800CDN or a new 00 Versys for ~$8300CDN. What should I do? FYI the exchange rate is ~$1CDN = $0.90US

For our southern friends - everything is more expensive in Canada, not just becasue of the FX rate.

Hi TwooWheels: You don't say which Provence you are in, so i don't know if you have a HST or a PST. In BC you have to pay GST (5%) and HST (7%) on a new bike, but only PST on a used bike

Since the used bike is MILES, I am guessing it is a private import from the US, therefore the pricing should be US pricing times 1.06 (current FX rate) plus $150 (importation cost) plus a bit for effort. I am not sure if you get a Canadian Warranty on a 'grey import'.

The speedo can change from kph to mph at the push of a button or two, so that isn't a worry.

If it is a grey import, its value when you sell it will be lower than if it is a Canadian bike. For about $60 you can do a VIN check from http://www.CarProof.com to find its full history.

Goodluck with the decision

I bought a fully farkled 07 for $C6,000 with 12,000 kms (Give side & top cases, gel seat, fog lights, exhaust & controller, adjustable screen & handguards, etc).

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
For our southern friends - everything is more expensive in Canada, not just becasue of the FX rate.

Hi TwooWheels: You don't say which Provence you are in, so i don't know if you have a HST or a PST. In BC you have to pay GST (5%) and HST (7%) on a new bike, but only PST on a used bike

Since the used bike is MILES, I am guessing it is a private import from the US, therefore the pricing should be US pricing times 1.06 (current FX rate) plus $150 (importation cost) plus a bit for effort. I am not sure if you get a Canadian Warranty on a 'grey import'.

The speedo can change from kph to mph at the push of a button or two, so that isn't a worry.

If it is a grey import, its value when you sell it will be lower than if it is a Canadian bike. For about $60 you can do a VIN check from http://www.CarProof.com to find its full history.

Goodluck with the decision

I bought a fully farkled 07 for $C6,000 with 12,000 kms (Give side & top cases, gel seat, fog lights, exhaust & controller, adjustable screen & handguards, etc).
I'm in Nova Scotia. I am also looking at the possibility of travelling to Maine, New Hampshire or even as far as Mass. to buy a bike and ride it home because of the better prices. It would a fun trip I could do in a day. I'm only a 2 hour drive and 1 hour ferry ride from Portland, ME.

One thing I wanted to clarify is that the bike will require not changes to register in Canada. You say it is only a switch setting to convert the speedo/odometer from miles to kilometers, can you confirm?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You say it is only a switch setting to convert the speedo/odometer from miles to kilometers, can you confirm?
Since I am only a Newby / Noob I will let you do your own research. You can download the manual from here...

If you Google “importing a motorcycle from usa to Canada” you get lots of hits that tell you the how to's and what not to's, and most will link you to Transport Canada's site which says all US Spec Kawasaki's can be legally imported - specifically at http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeV...Section8_0.htm

I don't know if any members have imported bikes into Canada and can tell us if the warranty is honoured up here or not.

PS I have just looked up the online manual - just pust MODE & RESET to change from KPH to MPH and viceversa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPH KPH.JPG (88.6 KB, 34 views)

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."

Last edited by bigaussie; 12-20-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode