Test road Triumph TIger 800 XC - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Test road Triumph TIger 800 XC

Got to do a 2 hour test ride recently on a Triumph Tiger XC. It was interesting as this bike is everything the Versys is only better in almost every way, and well, more expensive too.

The engine and transmission were spectacular. The transmission shifts smoothly and precisely. The engine sounds are amazing and has a strong linear pull to it putting out 95 HP.

The long travel suspension is firm and well damped. The bike never wallowed at high speeds on pavement and had great pavement handling. The only issue was the tires. A 150 dual sport tire on the rear and a 90/90-21 dual sport tire on the front do not provide the same level of confidence in a corner on pavement leaned over at speed as the 120 and 160 sport touring the Versys rides on. It does not have the pavement handling quirks of the BMW 800 GS. There is a much greater selection of dual sport tires in the rim sizes the Triumph is shod with. This is a much superior off road bike than the Versys without making many trade offs in on pavement performance.

Brakes are great.

Weight is about 20lbs more than the Versys but you do not really feel a difference riding the bike. In fact because the center of gravity feels slightly lower it feels lighter during low speed agility maneuvers. Seat height is about 1/2 inch higher than the Versys.

Build quality is excellent and a level or two higher than the Versys. It exudes quality construction.

My only issue is that while it is ~60% more expensive than the Versys it is maybe only ~20% better. IMO the Versys still has it beat in value, especially if you are not a frequent off road rider.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-11-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's why it got the Moty Bike of the year in 2008. Same smile, 1/2 the cost.

I'll bet parts for the V are cheaper than the Triumph too.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
My only issue is that while it is ~60% more expensive than the Versys it is maybe only ~20% better.
You can play with those percentages a bit and reach the same conclusions that I have reached in not replacing my '08 Versys or my '03 ST1300. There are newer, more advanced bikes in each category, but the dough I don't have to spend replacing them buys me gas, tires and (being self-employed) time off from work to ride far away.

There's always a new motorcycle that's "better" in some aspect than what you're riding now. Sometimes there's a bike that a lot better in ways that matter to you. Then maybe it'll be worth it to take the plunge, but don't let anyone else decide for you what "worth it" means to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 03:03 PM

I Agee with Bones 100%. I have contemplated selling my Versys several times over the years and what has held me back was the fact that my V does everything pretty darn good. And the fact that it is paid for is a bonus. I am leaning towards a slightly larger sport touring bike and one that keeps coming to mind is is the 2003-2006 Kawasaki Concours 1000. Good long distance tourer and easy on the bank account.

Back on topic... the Tiger 800 XL is a beautiful , bike. Never rode one, but have drooled over them on the showroom floor.

Last edited by Merlin3e9; 08-26-2014 at 03:06 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got a half hour ride on one of those (friend's bike). It's nice. Lots of power. Feels light, and more.

I have two problems with it. The extra $$$ - and the fact that Triumph dealers are far and few between.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:21 PM

I have a 2013 Street Triple R and the sound of the motor is amazing.

The sound of the triple has got to be worth something!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 PM

I have an 08 versys that I paid cash for from the local dealer. He has an 07 1050 Tiger that he took in on trade. I rode it, but was not impressed enough over the Versys to make a deal. It was quite a bit faster off the line, but felt strange in the front end. I don't know if it was a different rake in the front end or the tires, but something felt different in the was that it handled. He was asking $5999, not to bad a price.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wampuspacker View Post
I have an 08 versys that I paid cash for from the local dealer. He has an 07 1050 Tiger that he took in on trade. I rode it, but was not impressed enough over the Versys to make a deal. It was quite a bit faster off the line, but felt strange in the front end. I don't know if it was a different rake in the front end or the tires, but something felt different in the was that it handled. He was asking $5999, not to bad a price.
The Tiger 1050 is a road bike and a completely different design than the Tiger 800 XC which is a dual sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode