Can you tell me afew things about the Versys:
1) What are the lights like...strong candle..or like daytime?
2) How good is the seat for long journeys? ..>200miles
3) How good is the wind protection..screen and fairing?
4) Rain protection?
5) How does it handle with luggage?
6) What sort of mpg can you get from a tank?
7) Does the instrument panel display the time?
Looking for info that i have not read in a brochure, from real riders!
Okay, I'll pile on some more:
1) The lights are very good (IMO) after you adjust them properly. Mine were pointed down and to the left from the dealer. A bit of playing with them got them to be very good as far as I'm concerned. I do a lot of riding after dark.
2) YMMV - I consistently do >300 mile days and don't have an issue, but then again, I do a lot of long distance riding and driving (in a cage) so I might just be used to it. You'll probably have to try different things to get it the way you like. (Mine is completely stock.)
3) I think the wind protection is just fine (mind you not anywhere near as good as a full-fledged tourer), but many people seem to have buffeting issues. (I'm 6'2")
4) Get good rain gear.
5) I have the hard luggage (Givi V45 and E470 top box) and when loaded down the front gets a little bit lighter
(due to the top box - I don't have that feeling when running without the top box). It handles just fine, though.
6) I get between 45-48 mpg. I live in a very
windy area (daily wind speed average: 14mph) and at sea level. On my trips through the mountains, like in Colorado, I get around 52mpg. Worst - 43mpg. Best - 54mpg.
7) It only display one of these at a time: trip1, trip2, clock, odometer. I am a bit disappointed with that -- I would prefer it to display the clock all the time and let me select from the other three.