SW-Motech Center Stand for the 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
SW-Motech Center Stand for the 650

Just saw this on their facebook. Seems pricey?
http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/4052572028346.htm

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:21 AM

It doesn't seem pricey. It is! Sure, they're convenient. But outside of lubing the chain and removing the rear tire, what would you use it for? At the right price, I'd love to have one assuming they fit aftermarket exhaust. But at that price think about how many tires you could have the dealer change vs us, to offset the cost of the stand. I purchased a rollastand a while back, and it works great for lubing the chain and cleaning the rims, plus its small enough to fit in the factory bags if I ever wanted to carry it. All for 40 bucks. And my buddy just picked up the older model at cycle gear on clearance for 20.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I use the pack jack, love it! I was surprised when I saw this is all.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I wonder how this will work with the SW-Motech crash bars and bash plate?
This centerstand mounts use the same main rear bolt the crash bars do.
the crash bars replace the factory specific bolt spacers (with longer ones)... and looks like the mounting plates and spaces for this centerstand might not work in the same space.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6RTraded View Post
But outside of lubing the chain and removing the rear tire, what would you use it for?
There's plenty more--including chain cleaning, chain adjustment and chain replacement.

A center stand is more convenient than a swingarm stand because it's always there, and more useful because it unweights the rear suspension. So it makes it easier to remove the shock, or even to adjust the preload for people who find the adjuster hard to turn when the weight of the bike is on the shock.

On the downside, there's the weight. And sometimes a centerstand will limit cornering clearance. I wonder how far this one retracts.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 05:16 PM

Never mind

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 08-09-2014 at 05:20 PM.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I wonder how this will work with the SW-Motech crash bars and bash plate?
This centerstand mounts use the same main rear bolt the crash bars do.
the crash bars replace the factory specific bolt spacers (with longer ones)... and looks like the mounting plates and spaces for this centerstand might not work in the same space.
Also will it work with different exhaust options like our beloved LeoVince
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
There's plenty more--including chain cleaning, chain adjustment and chain replacement.

A center stand is more convenient than a swingarm stand because it's always there, and more useful because it unweights the rear suspension. So it makes it easier to remove the shock, or even to adjust the preload for people who find the adjuster hard to turn when the weight of the bike is on the shock.

On the downside, there's the weight. And sometimes a centerstand will limit cornering clearance. I wonder how far this one retracts.
Just stick a jackstand under the frame opposite the sidestand if you need to service the swingarm.

The centerstand is useful for those who tour and don't want to pay the dealer's service costs.

I only use the centerstand on my Concours when changing tires.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Buy a KLR, a big rock works just fine as a center stand. As far a changing a flat goes...just flop the bike on the side in a ditch and have at it. Or hang it from a tree, I've seen it done!

They don't call us cheap for nothing!

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Buy a KLR, a big rock works just fine as a center stand. As far a changing a flat goes...just flop the bike on the side in a ditch and have at it. Or hang it from a tree, I've seen it done!

They don't call us cheap for nothing!

So the solution is "But a KLR". OK. Pay attention people.

Didn't you know you would be happier with a motorcycle from the era of Boy George and Wham. Not only because it handles and accelerates better than a Versys (!), but we can use rocks as center stands, and throw it down on its side in ditches. Something you clearly can't do with a Versys. Yes, its from the 80s, but in 2008 it received the worlds most attractive front fender.

FORGET TIRE PLUGS PEOPLE!!! ITS TOO EASY!!!

We should all be using the extra hour to take wheels off, peel our tires to replace inner tubes, as a trip down memory lane. Clearly changing a motorcycle tire is much more fun than riding one. The world would be a better place if could all relive the good old days of bias ply tires, chokes and petcocks on our street bikes. Wait a minute... I'm sputtering. I have to switch to reserve.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
So the solution is "But a KLR". OK. Pay attention people.

Didn't you know you would be happier with a motorcycle from the era of Boy George and Wham. Not only because it handles and accelerates better than a Versys (!), but we can use rocks as center stands, and throw it down on its side in ditches. Something you clearly can't do with a Versys. Yes, its from the 80s, but in 2008 it received the worlds most attractive front fender.

FORGET TIRE PLUGS PEOPLE!!! ITS TOO EASY!!!

We should all be using the extra hour to take wheels off, peel our tires to replace inner tubes, as a trip down memory lane. Clearly changing a motorcycle tire is much more fun than riding one. The world would be a better place if could all relive the good old days of bias ply tires, chokes and petcocks on our street bikes. Wait a minute... I'm sputtering. I have to switch to reserve.
Nurse! Nurse! It's time for his meds!

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Nurse! Nurse! It's time for his meds!
Just messing with you Time. What can I say I'm in a weird mood.
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Just messing with you Time. What can I say I'm in a weird mood.

I was kidding about it was well. I've haven't had or need a center stand in years on a bike and the last one was on a Honda CX650 Silverwing,,,shaft driven!?!

I think people get too wound up over a centerstand, the Jiffy Stands work great and take up very little space and weight next to nothing. AND I have yet to drag one when cornering!

BUT I have flopped the KLR over to fix a tire. I have been lucky on the Versys and haven't flatted yet. I noticed years ago I have better luck if I keep good tires on the bike rather than wearing them to paper thinness.
david3921 likes this.

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 10:05 PM

Love the center stand on my other bike. I hadn't had one in years, but it's a truly awesome thing to have.

I've changed shocks on both bikes, and it's simpler on the other one. Not that big a deal on the Versys. But not as simple as with a centerstand. If I didn't have a garage it actually might be a big deal on the Versys.

Similarly, chain maintenance is just simpler. With the other bike I don't have to trade it in for a KLR which I then prop up on a rock.

If I didn't have a chain oiler on the Versys I might order the centerstand. I might consider it anyway, but I'll wait to hear from other owners.

As was pointed out it looks like it might not fit with SW Motech or Givi/Kappa crashbars. HB crashbars wouldn't be a problem, but it looks like those would impede removal of the right side cover--the one covering the top of the shock. By itself that may not be a big deal, but it looks like it would more than make up for any advantage the centerstand gave you in doing a shock swap.
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I was kidding about it was well. I've haven't had or need a center stand in years on a bike....
I had a center stand for my KLR for awhile, then the fact that it would contact the ground on a big dip (9" clearance under the engine BEFORE adding the stand, on a bike w/ 9" suspension travel...!) suggested to me that I pull it off and sell it (which I did).

Personally I don't wish to reduce the ground clearance I have on my Vs....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The only positive I can get out having a centerstand on a versys would be for taking nice photos.
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 06:51 AM

Thinking about it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
The only positive I can get out having a centerstand on a versys would be for taking nice photos.
After having a flat recently bad enough that I had to leave the bike and take the wheel home to change the tire and take it back I noticed that the swing arm was slightly askew from being supported on my pack jack for such a long time. The axle was way more difficult to line up and slide through while reassembling.

After that experience, if I can swing it. I might not be such a bad purchase. Cheaper than replacing a warped swing arm.

Cheers!

post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 AM

Mine arrived today.
Looks well made & thought out, and integrates with SW-Motech bash plate & Crash bars.
Now to get around to fitting it!
May be a while, I lost out in a joust with a ute in Dubbo last Friday - totalled a mate's Super Tenere, busted R wrist, L2 damage to MCL/meniscus & ACL of R knee - and severe muscle strain in lower back.
Emergency staff on scene, & in Hosp kept looking for other injuries!
ATGATT pays of......

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93TigerBill View Post
Mine arrived today.
Looks well made & thought out, and integrates with SW-Motech bash plate & Crash bars.
Now to get around to fitting it!
May be a while, I lost out in a joust with a ute in Dubbo last Friday - totalled a mate's Super Tenere, busted R wrist, L2 damage to MCL/meniscus & ACL of R knee - and severe muscle strain in lower back.
Emergency staff on scene, & in Hosp kept looking for other injuries!
ATGATT pays of......
Wow! Good thing you were on your mate's bike instead of the Versys. You would have surely died!

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 07:43 AM

so most of those injuries were from the mate after crashing is tenere?

get well soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode