SW-Motech Center Stand for the 650 - Page 4 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I ordered and got one. There was a lot of plumbing, parts, and pieces involved along with the weight. I sent it back. It was well made and well engineered, but thought hard about how much I would really use it. I ended up with spindles on the back swing arm, the bike has threaded bosses installed from the factory. When I do chain cleaning and bike washing / detailing, i just pop it up on the track stand and go for it. On the road trips I have a small spray can of chain wax and move the bike by hand to lube the chain. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker either.
Enjoy!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Retraction / Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhogg View Post
They mount differently (H&B to the peg mounts and SW-M uses the lower engine mount) which from what I can see from the pictures here and on the supplier web sites the SW-M mounts further forward so the foot pad is in a different position, however the bike shown on the site isn’t actually a Versys.
Actually, I meant the SW-M seems to be mounted further back, which I believe is why it interferes with the side stand, while the H&B does not. But that is all gathered from pictures, dealer websites and forums. I haven't seen either on a bike around here.

I think I'm going to go with the SW-M centerstand and skid plate. I think I can handle the "side stand first" procedure. As for the arguments for or against having one, if I never ventured very far away from civilization I'd skip the expense and weight. However I plan to ride my Versys to Prudhoe Bay Alaska (as far north as roads go) and somewhere in the middle of nowhere I might have to pull off a tire. With a center stand you can elevate either tire (OK, so you have to weigh down the rear to do it on the front, but it does work in a pinch). I don't want to be 100 miles from the nearest town (which could either be Moosejuice, Canada or Buttdeepnsnow, Alaska) sitting on the side of the road thinking about how much I'd be willing to pay for a center stand. It's like insurance. You pay for it and might never use it, but if you do need it you'll be very glad you have it.

Last edited by Skyhogg; 02-08-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:

I think I'm going to go with the SW-M centerstand and skid plate. .
I have the Sw-Motech and it works great. the interference with kick stand is no big deal once you are accustomed to it. Center stand is well made and super stable.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:41 PM

FWIW, I had my dealership install a SW-Motech center stand while they were prepping the bike. I was aware of the center stand interference situation, but it doesn't bother me. I have my bike on the center stand in my storage area so the bike takes up a slightly smaller footprint. I have no buyer's remorse.
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:49 PM

I know this was like almost 2 years ago, but I haven't messed with this forum much so I just noticed that you quoted me. But to provide an update, after I posted that in '17 I rode from NC to Nova Scotia and back and the skid plate saved me when I had to jump a curb (stupid cars) and the plate took a hit. It may or may not have impacted the engine case, but it was nice not finding out the hard way. As for the center stand, it works great and I never give the side stand anything more than a fleeting thought as the drill of moving it out of the way has become natural. The SW-Motech gear seems to be top quality. The skid plate has to be removed to change oil filters, but that's no big deal either. If you can't remove it then you shouldn't be changing your own oil.
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM

Can you rock it off the center stand while seated, and then move the side stand out of the way with your foot? Or can that only be done while standing next to it?

Quote:
I know this was like almost 2 years ago, but I haven't messed with this forum much so I just noticed that you quoted me. But to provide an update, after I posted that in '17 I rode from NC to Nova Scotia and back and the skid plate saved me when I had to jump a curb (stupid cars) and the plate took a hit. It may or may not have impacted the engine case, but it was nice not finding out the hard way. As for the center stand, it works great and I never give the side stand anything more than a fleeting thought as the drill of moving it out of the way has become natural. The SW-Motech gear seems to be top quality. The skid plate has to be removed to change oil filters, but that's no big deal either. If you can't remove it then you shouldn't be changing your own oil.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:18 PM

I'm vertically challenged (5' 7) and never really thought about doing that. (I can do that on my ElectraGlide but the seat hight is only 27"). I don't think it would be an issue for someone taller. I may try that now that I have installed crash bars for my engine and saddlebags.
Doug Just Doug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode