Versys vs Connie 14 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Versys vs Connie 14

I probably know the answers to this but I would still like to hear it from actual Versys owners. I like both of these bikes (Versys and the new Connie 14) and what I am wondering is this: Full loaded w/hard bags, top trunk, tail bag on the passenger seat, tank bag, etc, and 210 lb me plus all my personal riding gear: do you ever feel like the Versys is underpowered, undersized or wish it had more umph?

I think for most of my riding the Versys would be perfect (and obviously it's about half the price of the Connie) but the only thing I am not sure about is how it would feel taking trips from Minnesota to Texas and Minnesota to western Montana to visit my friends. Since I have taken no extented trips on either of these I would assume the Connie would be the better highway trip bike, big, stable and smooth or would I never think twice about it if I did it on the Versys??

Obviously you riders love your bike but I would still like to hear it from you.

Thanks!

Motorcycles, can't live without them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:54 PM

I've done plenty of interstate (300 mile+) days 2 up, fully loaded, on the Versys. Never felt underpowered to me. If you do go cross country often though, then the connie is obviously built to handle that better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 PM

I've taken a couple of short trips with my Versys, including some 400 and 500 mile days (with the stock seat). I haven't tried two up, but I did go with a good load of soft luggage (saddle bags, tail trunk, and tank bag). You can feel a difference when it's fully loaded, but I never felt like there wasn't enough power. Just a bit less than before.
I've never ridden the Connie, but I would also guess it would be the better mount if your primary use is cross-country excursions.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 AM

Small is beautiful. The Versys has enough to get the job done, and will be easier to use in just about every other situation than the interstate.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:18 AM

underpowered - no
undersized - maybe
wish it had more umph - no
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:29 AM

Wow this is a real apples and oranges question,But I have had the opportunity ride from Pa to western Colorado,fully loaded with my (then 230#) body on it.It had plenty of power even going over 11,000 foot passes,it goes 75mph all day long,it gets great mileage.It does need a bigger windshield ,which I installed before the trip.Some like the seat,some hate the seat,the seat as all seats are is subjective to your butt,everyone is different,I don't mind mine with a tribo pad on it.
My point is its a great bike but comparing to a full on sport-touring machine is difficult ( and a little bit nuts) its really an apple and orange.

AMA EAA STN
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:58 AM

It really needs more power for passing situations on country roads. That is with my wife and luggage aboard. She is 100 pounds, I weight 160 and I am guessing that the luggage weights 25 pounds. All day on the interstate with the Versys would not be pleasant. All in all though I think this is the best bike I have ever owned. The connie also comes with standard hard luggage so you can plan to spend quite a bit to outfit for touring. I doubt that I will actually switch but I am anxious to take a look at the Honda NT700. I am pretty sure that if it was available when I bought my 09 Versys that I would have chose it.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 AM

I had an 08 C14 for a year. The only thing similar between these two bikes is that they are made by Kawasaki. The Connie would do 100 in 2nd gear. It weights a ton and feels like it too. It has none of the personality of a twin. If your only criteria was how much weight you could load on the tail, then the c14 wins easily.

The c14 handles great, just feels heavy. Mine was ABS model. A nice feature when your riding on a sketchy surface. The bike has fantastic brakes.

If I remember right the C14 revved about 4K doing 70mph. If my trip from MN to TX was for only a week I would pick the Connie. If I could use 3 weeks to do it I would take the versys.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:00 PM

I had a 2001 Concours. Beautiful bike- most miserable machine I have ever ridden. I am 6ft 4 and could never get comfortable. In fact on a long trip I went to an upholstery shop (during the trip) and tried to work on seat) I tried handlebar risers, peg lowers anything, everything. Finally gave up and sold it. I honestly never liked the gearing either. Of course, this is not the Connie 14. I wouldn't ride an older Concours if you gave it to me. I do however love the power and ride of the V. *minus the seat*
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!

I'm aware the Connie and the Versys are two completely different machines but I would be using them for the same thing, hence the question. No question the Versys would be the best for my day to day usage (70 mi cummute and errand runner) but I am also really looking forward to hitting the road for a few trips so my next bike has to make me want to do that, not just tollerate it. My friend and I did a 5400 mi trip in 2000, I was on a 99 ZRX1100, but since 05 I have had an R1 and even though I ride it almost daily (when its not snowing) I miss being able to put some miles on. I did a 420 mi all highway day on it last summer and I won't lie, it wasn't too fun.

I know its relative to the rider but I still like hearing your input.

Motorcycles, can't live without them!
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:03 PM

I did a 730 mile day last August on my Versys....fully loaded for a 5 day trip including camping gear. The only thing I wished for that my bike didn't have was a set of bar risers....I was on the interstate all day and there was never a point where I wished for or needed more power.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Smurf, what do the bar risers do for you? I'd like to get a little lower and closer to the windscreen to get out of the wind a bit more. Would the riser do that or do I have it backwards? I read another forum where I think it said higher actually meant lower. I'm kinda confused.

With my son on the back it lowered the riding position enough in relation to the windshield that it was perfect.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 PM

I faced the same question in 08. The final decision breaker was when I asked myself "What percentage of the time would the bike be loaded for bear Verse commuting?". I bought the Versys rather than have to manhandle the C-14 day in, day out commuting. The Versys has proven a very capable medium tourer and a very fun ride to work.
I did pick up a used C-10 for heavy touring. It tows my trailer and carries two up a bit more comfortable than the V. (Not used for this much as the wife rides her own)

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:04 PM

I ditched my FJR last year for the V. Although the FJR was a nice bike, for the VAST majority of my riding the V is just so much more fun. Light weight, easy to flick around, can run down the occasional dirt road, etc etc. I'm at a point in my life where 1/4 mile times no longer matter, and the V has all the power I've needed, even 2-up. I've also read plenty of reports of guys heading cross country on their V's with no complaints. But to each his own...

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 PM

You can't always get what you want.

Your pushing it at 210# and a full load, but if your doing back roads and not interstate all the time, then the V is fantastic. If you plan on major miles and still want all that suspention travel, think about getting a 1250GS.
I have owned them all and I love the V, for me, not so many miles, it's perfect and a blast to ride.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
With my son on the back it lowered the riding position enough in relation to the windshield that it was perfect.
The obvious solution is to keep reproducing until the static sag is correct.

I've seen a connie 14 in person and those things are flipping massive.
The versys has more in common with a Hypermotard than a C14.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:06 AM

I've wondered about the C14 vs. the Versys as well. They are two totally different bikes. The end. The Versys is more suited to the MAJORITY of everyone's riding style whereas the C14 is designed for long cruises at (above) legal speeds. My .02

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM

It's interesting how people insist in comparing the Versys with a motorcycle that has more than double the price and power. It's like trying to compare a Chevy Malibu with a Corvette. The Versys and the Connie have two wheels and is made by the same manufacturer that's about as close as they get.

BTW I'm considering the Connie as an upgrade in the not too far future. The problem is I love my V and might not want to depart from it. I think they make a great duo. V for everyday commute and the Connie for long tours. If I can just convince my wife to let me have both I will be a very happy man.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 AM

I did a small "review" of this bike on ADV ( http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=480233&page=4 )
This is a great machine and I wouldn't hesitate to get one , not a canyon carver at all , *yes some guys can do it , but this isn't the best bike for knee dragging , she is a bit heavy in the tight stuff . I consider it a continent cruiser , if you want to eat up the miles of NA then this bike can't be beat . Still fun enough for day tripping through the rockies or touring with the wife around your state/province , but this ride is built to travel ............I liked the smooth and easy way it takes on the road in front of you , you never have to rev the crap out of it , it's vary stable even at speeds of..... "questionable legality", ( I would never of course ) . The V at half price of the C14 , with less cost to insure as well is still a great machine that can do all of the above , but has advantage of better fire road ability and maybe even better handling in the tight stuff ( rider dependant ) , in the end, the only bike that really matters is the one your ass is on ..........

** This space for rent **
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Hi I,m from Co.Durham ,England I,m a little baffled,whats a Connie 14? Cheers. Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode