Shipping a motorbike.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Shipping a motorbike..

to Hawaii, have any of you done this?
Just looking into options for a good trip next year... I found one company that advertises "as low as $825," it was JC Motors.
Any advise on where to look, who to talk to, what to expect... etc...
Just being curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Contact your local The UPS Store. They can ship almost anything. They should have a freight vendor that can take care of it. I you can't find anybody, call me @ 843.667.4404. I work at a The UPS Store in SC & can put you in contact with someone.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

cool deal.
thanks,
do you know... how do prices fair at the UPS store in comparison to other shippers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 06:06 PM

az, unless you are going to live there, $800.00 (and isn't it 800 each way?) would give you about 10 days of renting, unless it was a Harley.

Machog

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
az, unless you are going to live there, $800.00 (and isn't it 800 each way?) would give you about 10 days of renting, unless it was a Harley.

Machog
well you see... living there may be in the plans
it's just up in the air, but I'm down for some kind of new adventure after school in May.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 07:17 PM

In a similar thread on a different forum, these were the suggestions made:

- Allied
- Fun Transport
Jackie Taylor
Manager Motorcycle Transportation
Federal Warehouse Company
800 747 4100 or 309 694 4500 ext 210

- idtransport
- Freight Center
Jessica, 800 716 7608 x1024
- Haulbikes

HTH.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Where in Hawaii? I helped a friend move there, but that was ages ago, so the info is not current. It wasn't simple, he was moving to Kona and at the time there were no direct routes there from the NW. His stuff went to Oahu first, then to Kona.

Took quite a while, which is typical of most shipping that isn't air freight, so if you are going for on vacation, it would require you to ship well in advance (or a long wait after you arrive), especially if it needs to be picked up from your place in AZ (as opposed to delivering it to a air/sea cargo terminal). That's the biggest problem I've encountered with motorcycle (and some times cars too) shipping on a budget. They collect your bike, store it in a central location until they have enough bikes/cars going in that direction and only then they move it. The arrival date isn't as solid as they make it seem. If you are willing to pay more, that's typically not an issue.

Forward Air is usually one of the cheaper and most reliable options, but I don't think they deliver to HI.

I've gotten good deals on U-Ship, but the price is really slow delivery. Depending on how much you are willing to pay, you may be able to get faster service.

Also, try these guys:
https://www.pashahawaii.com/POVBooki...cleHawaii.aspx

But, as Mac said, unless you plan on being there a really long time, or better yet, are ready to move, I wouldn't ship my bike there yet. For the $1500-$2000 the round trip would cost you can rent a bike for quite some time without the hassle of shipping (or damage - forget anything they say about insurance, unless it's a total loss, trying to collect on cosmetic damage is usually more hassle than it's worth)

Good luck,

Gustavo

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Where in Hawaii? I helped a friend move there, but that was ages ago, so the info is not current. It wasn't simple, he was moving to Kona and at the time there were no direct routes there from the NW. His stuff went to Oahu first, then to Kona.

Took quite a while, which is typical of most shipping that isn't air freight, so if you are going for on vacation, it would require you to ship well in advance (or a long wait after you arrive), especially if it needs to be picked up from your place in AZ (as opposed to delivering it to a air/sea cargo terminal). That's the biggest problem I've encountered with motorcycle (and some times cars too) shipping on a budget. They collect your bike, store it in a central location until they have enough bikes/cars going in that direction and only then they move it. The arrival date isn't as solid as they make it seem. If you are willing to pay more, that's typically not an issue.

Forward Air is usually one of the cheaper and most reliable options, but I don't think they deliver to HI.

I've gotten good deals on U-Ship, but the price is really slow delivery. Depending on how much you are willing to pay, you may be able to get faster service.

Also, try these guys:
https://www.pashahawaii.com/POVBooki...cleHawaii.aspx

But, as Mac said, unless you plan on being there a really long time, or better yet, are ready to move, I wouldn't ship my bike there yet. For the $1500-$2000 the round trip would cost you can rent a bike for quite some time without the hassle of shipping (or damage - forget anything they say about insurance, unless it's a total loss, trying to collect on cosmetic damage is usually more hassle than it's worth)

Good luck,

Gustavo
Thanks Gustavo, that link you gave me is quoting $525, which is making it seem more of a reality at this point...
Where? I don't know yet, I'm gonna go next summer for a month or so and kinda scope out the feel... who knows, maybe I'll hate the place!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
Where? I don't know yet, I'm gonna go next summer for a month or so and kinda scope out the feel... who knows, maybe I'll hate the place!
You may hate it. At least as far as riding is concerned. Like I said, I have this friend who retired to Kona, I've there there only a couple of times, and by now I can ride around the big island without a map. I can't imagine what you'd do with your bike on one of the smaller islands...

If I were moving to Hawaii, I'd buy a large dual sport single, like a DR650, so you could explore some of the more rugged roads. Keep in mind that even those are limited, there are a lot of dirt roads on maps (of the big island) that actually are on private property, so they are not open to the public.

Don't get me wrong, there are some spectacular roads on Kona, it's just that if you are determined, you can see all of them in two days of riding...

The road to Mauna Loa:

Kua Bay:

I'll be there the week after next again, I'll tell you if I changed my mind after this cold snap we just went through in the PNWet...

Gustavo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode