Winter Weather - How to deice motorycle? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Winter Weather - How to deice motorycle?

Hey Everyone,

Last night a pipe burst in my garage and I had to move my soaking wet V out into 15 degree weather, where it promptly froze as I turned off the main. I was curious, what is the best way to deice a motorcycle just so I can move it back in? It feels as though the brakes are unresponsive and I cannot get the wheels to move, although I can get the steering lock undone, with much huffing and puffing to get the key out again. Should I simply poor warm/hot water over it and try to melt it quickly? I'm afraid it would only refreeze before I could move it, as it is in the shade where it will only see 20-25 degree weather for days to come. Any advice would be great!

Best,

Reese
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:28 PM

How about you're wife's hair dryer (while she is away, naturally ;>) )
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

haha, although that MIGHT work, I'm afraid it won't be big enough to defrost both wheels before the other freezes. Although its a good backup if my hot water idea fails.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Do NOT use hot water, the 'shock' to some of the parts could cause them to crack. Think hot water on a frozen windshield!

I would do the hair dryer as jcctx suggests, on the front and rear hub. This should free the brakes and the bearings if they got wet. That will allow you to push it back, into I hope the now dry garage.

As it warms up, wipe it down to avoid rust. Disc brakes will go rusty, but will clean up next time you ride it with no adverse effects. If chain has frozen to sprockets, you'll have to hair dry the front drive sprocket.

Don't wrench on the clutch cable to try and free it up, squirt WD down it when it warms up.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Machog,

Yes the garage is completely dry and clean now, and half of it is undamaged. I think I will do a bit of WD40 on the lines, and use warm water to throw on the rotors, chain, and wheels. It'll be luke warm at best, I swear! And I will do that after I try the hair dryer. Do you think running the bike for a few minutes would help as well? Maybe some residual heat or something....

Best,

Reese
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM

RR, I'm just down the road in equally freezing Redmond-currently about 23! Running the engine would be an excellent idea, at least 15 min so it really warms up. You might be able to get the fan to run if bike is stationery, that would blast warm air on everything which wouldn't hurt.
BTW you going to the bike show-there's a few of us Versys types meeting at the Kaw booth tomorrow around 10:30am.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 06:04 PM

If you can get it in direct sunlight, and then trow a clear tarp like material over it.... maybe, just maybe, it'll warm enough underneath to deice it.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 PM

I had the same problem with a 4 wheeler. I pulled an elk through a running stream at 20 mph and -20 degrees. I put a heat lamp on the various parts that I needed deiced. Took awhile but I didn't hurt anything.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Problem solved! Couldn't find the hair dryer, so I went with warming up then engine and cool water. I used cooler than lukewarm, still warm compared to outside and just enough to melt the ice. I still can't say what exact part of the front wheel had it frozen and unmovable, but pouring the water on it did the trick. I'm glad you reminded me not to use hot water...that might have been a very bad idea.

Another plus to the happy ending, the V hadn't been started in a few weeks, was in winter retirement. Put in the battery, hit the starter, two SLOW turns later and it started up sounding slow. Within 2 minutes it was ready to go sounding as good as ever. I was thoroughly impressed with its ability to start in freezing weather covered in ice.

Machog, I was contemplating going, I'll have to play it by ear and see if I can wake up that early.

Thanks again,

Reese
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:49 PM

glad to hear that's resolved.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM

The V is good with the cold. Rode mine home from work at -8 F last winter. The bike had no issues, but it was unpleasant. This year it has snowed early so I haven't been out in anything less than 20 F.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode