Long term Versys maintenaince - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Long term Versys maintenaince

Hello all. I am considering moving from a Ducati Multistrada 620 to a Versys because of the following:

1.Multistrada has timing belts that must be changed every two years

2.Multistrada has 6,000 mile valve adjustment intervals

3.Very poor dealer network in my area (Houston, TX)

4. Expensive parts & accessories

I think the Kawasaki dealer told me the Versys valve adjustment intervals are 15,000 miles. Is this correct? What about timing belt/chain adjustments? Are there any other frequent maintenance issue I should consider. I put about 6-7K on a bike per year. I can do oil changes myself, but leave larger issues (like valves) to the dealers.

Any help/advice would be welcomed!

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 AM

I own an Italian bike (Husqvarna), thus my next bike purchase was Japanese (Versys). A woman on another forum I visit had her Duc catch on fire when she laid it down, it messed her up BAD! She was pinned under the bike when it caught fire. The pics were pretty horrific, she's lucky to be alive. But Ducs are cool! I've never ridden a Multistrada, but the Versys is a LOT of fun and really comfortable.

While we're on the subject of maintenance, if I'm reading the manual correctly, it calls for oil changes on the Versys every 7,500 miles. Is that correct? Seems like a really long time to go between oil changes.

Luke
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 AM

I can tell you the maintenance cost for the Versys is a lot cheaper than my BMW was. I paid $140 Canadian for my first service and I paid between $400 and $600 dollars for service on my BMW. Some of those were basic oil changes and tighten the bolts type.

I moved to Versys to escape this situation. I'm much happier with Kawasaki and although the Kawi has it's quirks and the build quality is not as good as my BMW, I still like the Kawi better. It's more comfortable on long trips, has a better and quieter engine and the parts and accessories are much cheaper.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Also ducati's have to have motor rebuilt every 60 thousand miles.Ask dealer about this.And that costs some big bucks.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker View Post
Also ducati's have to have motor rebuilt every 60 thousand miles.Ask dealer about this.And that costs some big bucks.

I am aware of that. However, I usually trade bukes at around 25K. Thanks for the comments so far....please keep them coming1

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Luke, how do you like your Husqvarna? I've thought of getting their TE610 as just a fun dual sport bike as I keep the Versys for my serious riding.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Also, has anyone seen, or read about a direct comparison between the Multi 620, and the Versys? I have been able to find comparisons of the Versys and V-Strom, and V-Strom and Multi, but not a Versys / Multi 620 head to head.

Thanks!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Luke, how do you like your Husqvarna? I've thought of getting their TE610 as just a fun dual sport bike as I keep the Versys for my serious riding.
I LOVE it, it's a great bike, mine is an '06 TE450. I use it for hardcore offroad riding.

I got the Husky because they were the only dirt bike to come with a plate at the time (except for the DRZ). A plate opens up a lot of riding options around here, and it allows one to connect the trails. Husky makes a really nice bike, the motors are sweet and their bikes are really easy to work on. Just don't expect to find any parts online, you've got to make a phone call for just about anything. There are some really good dealers out there, and some real duds. Where do you live?

Luke
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Luke, great pics.

Question 2: You answered a lot. I heard valve adjustments are easy to do on the Husky. I have a dealer in Austin just a few miles from my house and he said he could lower the bike a bit for my shorter legs.

I want the bike as a local dual sport and don't plan on long rides with it, but...in the event my Versys is down and out for some reason, then it must work as my backup bike for long rides that I do weekly. I'd be happy if they can cruise even just at 75 without the feeling of pushing it to its limits.

The TE610 I heard meets those needs, but I want the lightest, smallest cc bike that will fill the bill. According to the local dealer he said the 610 is best but maybe the 510 could do it. Seems to me that a 510 or 450cc bike should do that easily.

What's your input?

Thanks.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM

Be careful with those guys, they are really expensive. They were quoting me over $1k more than I paid in Irving.

Todd
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 05:00 PM

IMHO, the TE450 and 510 are not designed for the street, they will run fine at speed but start to feel buzzy up there at 70+mph, plus it's not good on the dirt bike motors to pull steady higher RPMs for extended periods of time. If you intend on using it for more on road than off, definitely check out the 610 (I've never ridden one). There is a decent Husqvarna section at Thumpertalk.com . You should be able to answer all of your questions there.

I used my Husky for 99% dirt riding until I moved out into the country last year. The roads out here are so fantastic that I began riding my TE on the road more and more and more until I knew I needed a dedicated street bike. If you do wind up with a TE450 or 510, I've read that having the wheels balanced makes all the difference in the world. For some reason, off road you don't feel that they're not balanced, but on the street the whole bike shakes (no give I suppose). I would guess I've got about 2500-3000 hard miles on my Husky, and the valves are still in spec. They're easy to check, but you need to buy new shims which is a pain in the ass. Everything on my Husky is actually very easy to maintain and repair. The seat pops off with a dzues connector allowing access to the air filter, battery and fuses. 3 more bolts and the tank is off allowing access to the valve cover and a whole lot more.

Luke
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 PM

I don't think anyone answered the valve adjustment interval, so I checked the owners manual.

You are correct, valve clearance should be inspected every 15,000 miles. To be honest, if a valve required an adjustment that soon, I'd be surprised. I'd guess 90% of valves would still be within spec at 15,000.

Other items from the owners manual

Also, steering stem bearings should be lubricated every 15,000 miles or 2 years.

Oil and Filter should be changed every 7500 miles or once per year.

Coolant should be changed every 24,000 miles or every 3 years.

Break fluid every 15,000 miles or every 2 years.

Spark plugs every 7500 miles or once per year.

My commentary

I can't see going 7500 miles on 2 quarts of oil, so I'll do it every 5000 miles.
I'll do brake fluid and coolant every year when I do my track bike.
I also can't see changing spark plugs every 7500 miles, so I'll probably do that every three years.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Luke, thanks. I'll check out that site you sent.

On YouTube I've seen the TE610 go through some amazing stuff, so it looks like the bigger cc is the way to go.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Luke, thanks. I'll check out that site you sent.

On YouTube I've seen the TE610 go through some amazing stuff, so it looks like the bigger cc is the way to go.
It depends, a 250F will kick a 450's but in the REALLY gnarly tight stuff. A heavy bike will really give you a work out if you plan on doing some serious off roading. If you're going to take mostly open trails, fire roads, desert riding, or you plan on riding more roads than dirt, the 610 is the ticket.

I don't know about any of the dealers in TX. Hall's Cycles, Up-Tite Husqvarna (he runs teams of Huskys in the Baja 500 and 1000), and Bottones are all great Husky dealers. I get most of my stuff from Bottone's and Halls, they usually have everything I need in stock and shipping takes a day or two. Not as easy as driving to your local shop, but when you call you get a real pro on the phone who knows his stuff, not some pimple faced punk with out a clue who could care less.

Here's a direct link to the Husky 4 stroke section on Thumpertalk.

Don't forget to shop around, KTM make nice bikes, an old XR650 might get the job done, Aprillia is making some fast twins... and of course, there's the KLR650.

Me? I'm keeping my Husky. It's one comfy bad ass fast as heck dirt bike and it hasn't ever let me down on the trails.

Luke
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Luke, I don't know if I should thank you because with your info and the sites you so kindly included, now I'll be glued to reading the net even more.

Yeah, the KTMs are sweet too. I just picture that the Husky and KTMs are superior to most the other brands big name brands as far as bigger cc dual sports go.

Later this month I have to ride up to Chicago for some work and if I could swing by Springfield on the way back to stop by Hall's, I'll try.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode