Boom noise from engine - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Haluk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Boom noise from engine

Hi guys,

I do have a question regarding the noise coming from the engine.

I have a bad habit which kept to me from my old bike. (Drz400SM) I like to hear exhaust noise, when I be on the really congested traffic, I pull half of the clutch and gun up little bit for hearing the exhaust and moving. But sometimes when I do that, there is a noise coming from engine like a "BOOM" Also sometimes it happens while I do the downshift.

It's exactly boom. What do you guys think, is that normal or not?

Exhaust is stock by the way.

Thank you very much.

'13 Kawasaki Versys 650
Haluk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exhaust backfire, nothing to worry about.
Süsser Tod is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,673
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
NEVER had anything like that in the roughly 80,000 miles I've ridden my two Vs....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haluk View Post
I pull half of the clutch and gun up little bit for hearing the exhaust and moving.


Thank you very much.
Stop doing that. Sounds like it would wear the clutch out prematurely, and are dumping fuel into the engine.

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Haluk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Exhaust backfire, nothing to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
NEVER had anything like that in the roughly 80,000 miles I've ridden my two Vs....
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Stop doing that. Sounds like it would wear the clutch out prematurely, and are dumping fuel into the engine.
Thank you very much guys. As I mention it, that's my bad habit I know, I should not suppose to do that. I'll try not doing that again hope so..

Thanks..

'13 Kawasaki Versys 650
Haluk is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haluk View Post
Hi guys,

I do have a question regarding the noise coming from the engine.

I have a bad habit which kept to me from my old bike. (Drz400SM) I like to hear exhaust noise, when I be on the really congested traffic, I pull half of the clutch and gun up little bit for hearing the exhaust and moving. But sometimes when I do that, there is a noise coming from engine like a "BOOM" Also sometimes it happens while I do the downshift.

It's exactly boom. What do you guys think, is that normal or not?

Exhaust is stock by the way.

Thank you very much.
OK, first of all, like Eddie mentioned, you're needlessly fanning your clutch. Don't do it.

"It's exactly boom." doesn't help us much... They're just random words on a screen. It sounds like you're referring to a transmission clunk maybe when shifting. Poor use of the clutch lever and throttle, which may need adjusting.

Last edited by invader; 08-02-2014 at 08:19 PM.
invader is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Haluk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
OK, first of all, like Eddie mentioned, you're needlessly fanning your clutch. Don't do it.

"It's exactly boom." doesn't help us much... They're just random words on a screen. It sounds like you're referring to a transmission clunk maybe when shifting. Poor use of the clutch lever, which may need adjusting.
Sorry about my English. I did my best actually for explaining the situation.

Thank you very much, I'll contact with dealer for asking adjusting.

'13 Kawasaki Versys 650
Haluk is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can adjust your clutch lever cable slack and lever distance from handlebar yourself. You can also adjust your throttle cable slack. It's all in this forum if you do a search... Don't be sorry. Just have more mechanical sympathy, and learn to ride properly and precisely. It'll make a much better impression.

Adjustment instructions are also in your owner's manual.

Last edited by invader; 08-02-2014 at 08:39 PM.
invader is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Haluk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Don't be sorry. Just have more mechanical sympathy, and learn to ride properly and precisely. It'll make a much better impressiion.
invader, Thank you very much for helping me every time. But, for me I never tell someone learn to ride properly and precisely. I'm just new on Versys. That's normal the take some time to discover the bike I guess. As you know, I'm asking a lot of questions. That's why I'm being a member of this forum actually as everyone. Thank you very much anyway.

'13 Kawasaki Versys 650
Haluk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome