Must have equipment…? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Must have equipment…?

As a newbie to Versys, and just starting Hwy.rides, I wonder what a Must Have equipment would you recommend to have….?? e.g. Air-Pump, chain repair etc. ???
Also, as a rule, I always stayed away from gravel Roads- with my touring bikes…..is it safer to go on with the Versys??
Thank you,
W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:00 PM

Yeah, plug kit and pump. Versys handle dirt and gravel O.K. probably not best bike for it.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:35 PM

I carry a plug kit, with CO2 cartridges from AeroStich, chain lube, bungee net, "light" rain gear, ear plugs, tire pressure gage, cell phone, VISA card.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
As a newbie to Versys, and just starting Hwy.rides, I wonder what a Must Have equipment would you recommend to have….?? e.g. Air-Pump, chain repair etc. ???
Also, as a rule, I always stayed away from gravel Roads- with my touring bikes…..is it safer to go on with the Versys??
Thank you,
W.
Yes, you will need a good tire plug kit. Check out the Stop and Go kit with the Co2 canisters. A 12V pump is a good option if you have your bike wired for it.

Chains can break, but its rare. I wouldn't bother.

The Versys does well on gravel roads. You have a bit more travel than your typical touring bike.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Thank you,
W.
Here's my must have list
SW-Motech engine bars - these will pay for them selves the first few times you drop the bike

Givi top box or other luggage - a motorcycle you cannot carry stuff on for commuting or trips is not very functional

As for flat tires, my CAA/AAA card covers me for towing. Flat tires on a motorcycle are about as common as flat tires on a car.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-30-2014 at 04:43 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 PM

Other than a tire repair set up until you know what you're going to be doing with the bike I'd just ride it. You can waste a lot of money building up a great long distance bike that you end up riding short trips on. And the other way round as well.

Ride a bit then decide what you want.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I carry a tire plug kit and mini pump, but in 51 years of riding I've never had a flat. Argh, I probably shouldn't have said that! The flat tire demons will be after me now.

In my opinion, the first and most valuable items to invest in is good riding gear. As "Time" mentioned you can consider bits for the bike as you sort out what type of riding you'll actually be doing with it. Unless, of course, you have tons of money then you can go nuts at full speed - engine guards, more comfortable saddle, larger wind screen, panniers, tail bag, tank bag, louder exhaust, and other great stuff.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-30-2014 at 10:10 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 01:44 AM

Garage
Like Arion said invest in riding gear first, but I don't think having a plug kit and some way to inflate the tires isn't a bad idea. A bungee net comes in really handy as well, I have one on my bike (I do mostly commuting at the moment) for when I run quick errand. I have been looking at a Gears navigator tail bag there around $100, not sure if anyone on the forum has experience with it. At the moment I'm using a bag pack for carrying my extra stuff, gets old having to haul stuff that way.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I carry a tire plug kit and mini pump, but in 51 years of riding I've never had a flat. Argh, I probably shouldn't have said that! The flat tire demons will be after me now.

In my opinion, the first and most valuable items to invest in is good riding gear. As "Time" mentioned you can consider bits for the bike as you sort out what type of riding you'll actually be doing with it. Unless, of course, you have tons of money then you can go nuts at full speed - engine guards, more comfortable saddle, larger wind screen, panniers, tail bag, tank bag, louder exhaust, and other great stuff.
I've had three flat front tires and four rears. Two of the front flats were while riding, one with a tubeles tire after hitting some debree on the highway, the tire carcass broke and pinched the tube. The second one was coming into a toll booth, slowed down, tried to change lanes and felt the bike very stiff, so I stopped and foudn the front tire was very low. Plug kit saved the day.

Out of the rear flats, only one has been while riding, but it wasn't the tire, it was the valve stem that broke. Replace them when you get new tires, don't cheap out on those!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 PM

Plug kit, mini pump, multitool, and if I'm going very far a bottle of water. I have roadside assistance but that doesn't slake your thirst while you wait for them. I also have the owner and service manuals on my mobile device.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 AM

The item I use the most while traveling is a microfiber rag and small (1 oz) container of water. Clean your helmet shield, headlight, windscreen etc.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 AM

It never hurts to keep a few strategically placed $20s on your bike. You never know when you might run out of gas or need cash to help out another soul when an ATM is out of the question.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I carry a tire plug kit and mini pump, but in 51 years of riding I've never had a flat.
My thoughts exactly... but glad I carried them a couple of years ago when in the middle of Nowheresville, OK they saved my day.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk9151 View Post
The item I use the most while traveling is a microfiber rag and small (1 oz) container of water. Clean your helmet shield, headlight, windscreen etc.
I carry a rag and a can of "Lemon Pledge" for this purpose. And ALL my face-shields still look brand new.

Also have a compressor, plug kit, AND a bottle of "Slime", just in case, along w/ tools.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
...and a 55 gallon drum of industrial strength WD40.
tell the truth, for pete's sake.

I've tried, but the 45 gal. drum makes my V a little rear-biased HEAVY (MAYBE if I weighed 300# or so it MIGHT work...), so I ONLY carry a couple of those I gallonUS cans of "holy water" when I head out, as I'm pretty sure you SHOULD remember....

(Look for a PM on ADV...).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Have you ever had a flat at speed? Tire pressure monitoring system will make most flats a "non-event".

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 AM

Garage
For the tire needs I picked up these during sales at cyclegear. the Dynaplug tool And CO2 inflator. Nice and compact for both.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I carry a rag and a can of "Lemon Pledge" for this purpose. And ALL my face-shields still look brand new.

Also have a compressor, plug kit, AND a bottle of "Slime", just in case, along w/ tools.

Hi Eddie

You use the slime in what circumstance as oppose to a plug kit ?

What's the draw back ??

Have a slow leak cause by a small brad nail and was thinking of a product like slime to fix the problem

LOP
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Hi Eddie

You use the slime in what circumstance as oppose to a plug kit ?

What's the draw back ??

Have a slow leak cause by a small brad nail and was thinking of a product like slime to fix the problem

LOP
Slow leaks. Draw-back...? BIG mess when it's time to change tires. I've NOT ever used it - it's just there as a back-up.

Look for a MEMBERS RIDES on my ride yesterday, to touch on this SAME subject...

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 AM

Big Bags

I have some Happy Trails panniers and they're good sized so I can carry tons of stuff. I carry:
at least 1 bottle of water and a few granola bars

blue shop towels rather than microfiber cloth

Plexus (b/c it's way better than water...aside from not being able to drink it)

can of fix a flat

bungee cords

small tool set (mainly just a few allen wrenches and box wrenches etc. - only metric obviously)

I actually keep my air hawk in one of my bags (my bags lock) *air hawk is a must for longer rides*

I have my phone hard wired to my bike but I remove the usb adapter when not in use to ensure it doesn't drain the battery. (and it's not very water proof)

wallet - b/c I can't stand it in my back pocket on the stock V seat.

I used to carry rain gear but now I just check the weather and avoid it when possible. If I get wet, I'll dry.

I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode