2010 price increase!? WTF? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

2010 price increase!? WTF?

I just found out (later than most of you I'm guessing) that the 2010 Versys has gone UP in price AGAIN!? WTF is going on? Didn't this thing hit our shores 2 years ago? Maybe I'm blind, but I usually don't see manufacturers raising prices on their bikes every damn year! Ok...I digress. Anyone else ticked over this?!

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 AM

You see, what happens when you dump billions of dollars into the economy is there are billions more dollars floating around than there were last year.
Then each individual dollar is worth less than it was the year before.
Thusly, you need more of them to purchase the same given item.

I believe this is called 'inflation' or more popularly, 'change'.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:59 AM

par pricing

keep in mind that they reduced the price the second year to help it sell, they're just gettting it back up to the pricing they budgeted it at when it was first dreamed up............Japanese think in terms of where will prices be 10 years from now and use a sliding scale....lol

BTW anyone who thinks pricing is going to go down anytime soon isn't looking at the big picture.... Japanese and chinese imports have been lower and lower for the last 15-18 months because of the "recession". There-fore there will be less used units available for the next few years driving up used prices, and there are less new ones sold and less new ones sitting on a dealer's floor that they want to bail on. If you want something new, the costs of import, warehousing, advertising etc is now spread out over less imported units, so buck up and pay the piper.................the cost per unit is going to be alot more .............just my 2 bits

Last edited by scooter650; 12-06-2009 at 12:07 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 12:31 PM

Have a look at the Yen to USD exchange rate, it isn't a price increase, it is a price adjustment, it takes more USD these days to equal the same amount of Yen. Add to that the price of everything is going up, ie selling less means you need to charge more for the same rate of return and it just makes sense.

This is basic economics.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 12:31 PM

because they can. though i do feel the new one is getting a bit expensive thought. it is going to be more than the other bikes in its class. at the same time it does probably have the best suspension.

2008 versys red with full luggage

"when in doubt ghetto it out"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Just read an interesting article on the "Amero". Looks like they are going to try to push a common currency for Mexico, the US, and Canada. I do not like the looks of this.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
I just found out (later than most of you I'm guessing) that the 2010 Versys has gone UP in price AGAIN!? WTF is going on? Didn't this thing hit our shores 2 years ago? Maybe I'm blind, but I usually don't see manufacturers raising prices on their bikes every damn year!
I'd schedule an eye exam soon in that case, because prices go up all the time, every year... The 2008 MSRP was $6899 it went up to $7099 for 2009 and there no changes other than available colors. I think you miss some of the changes because they are not very large, but look at all other manufacturers, you'll find a similar increase.

As mentioned above, it's a combination of inflation, devaluation of the USD, increase in commodity prices, etc. etc. It's not just in the US, prices go up all over the world, even the UK and European prices went up for 2010.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
I'd schedule an eye exam soon in that case, because prices go up all the time, every year... The 2008 MSRP was $6899 it went up to $7099 for 2009 and there no changes other than available colors. I think you miss some of the changes because they are not very large, but look at all other manufacturers, you'll find a similar increase.

As mentioned above, it's a combination of inflation, devaluation of the USD, increase in commodity prices, etc. etc. It's not just in the US, prices go up all over the world, even the UK and European prices went up for 2010.

Gustavo
yup UK price went up earlier this year (spring 2009), however they couldn't make the price rise stick. It will be interesting if they can make the 2010 rise stick.. time will tell,. theres a bit more on 'their' side this year with a distinct model change as opposed to changing the colourways
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 PM

Uh....dude if you already own a Versys this is good news. Your bike will be worth more.

I am surprised that they raised the price because standard motorcycles are often hard to sell in the USA. Perhaps the price went up because it sells better than other standards.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:24 PM

If the Versys price gets too close to the Z-1000 then people might get the Z-1000. I would.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:26 PM

Yep, looks like it got hit with the 'ugly tax'.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:25 PM

The dollar is down nearly 20% against the yen in two years. All other things equal, the price increase for the Versys is comparatively low.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:54 PM

Plenty of 09s left over and dealers will be anxious to clear them out of inventory and off
the floor plan. Plus, the 09 isn't (as) ugly.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
I just found out (later than most of you I'm guessing) that the 2010 Versys has gone UP in price AGAIN!? WTF is going on? Didn't this thing hit our shores 2 years ago? Maybe I'm blind, but I usually don't see manufacturers raising prices on their bikes every damn year! Ok...I digress. Anyone else ticked over this?!
I'm pretty sure MSRP prices go up every year. But that is not the price you will pay for the bike! Conservatively the dealers around here knock a grand off of MSRP on the inexpensive bikes like the Versys.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
yup UK price went up earlier this year (spring 2009), however they couldn't make the price rise stick. It will be interesting if they can make the 2010 rise stick.. time will tell,. theres a bit more on 'their' side this year with a distinct model change as opposed to changing the colourways
Prices in the US are a lot more fluid than they are in the UK (or Europe). You guys get bundled accessories more often than we do to move bikes (like the Touring Versys). As Mark mentions, unless you are buying the latest model to come out in the first few months on the market, very few people actually pay MSRP for their bikes. Sometimes even new models can be had at discount, I bought the only bike available in the PDX metro area in August '07 (first shipment of Versys in the US) and I still got a nice discount from MSRP.

Gustavo

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
The dollar is down nearly 20% against the yen in two years. All other things equal, the price increase for the Versys is comparatively low.
As the US dollar goes down your prices for goods will go up. Welcome to our world....

Interestingly the buying power of the Canadian dollar has been going up. Go figure...
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
As the US dollar goes down your prices for goods will go up. Welcome to our world....

Interestingly the buying power of the Canadian dollar has been going up. Go figure...
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 AM

Suzuki had two price increases in 2009 alone. It's lousy. Prices for motorcycles in general are going up big time across the board.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Prices are going up on everything not just bikes. Love the comment on dumping billions of dollars causing higher prices and nothing was said about living beyond ones means and being involved in two wars at the same time!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM

The "Amero"? We already have a common currency in the Americas. Is called the US dollar. However, the other day I was trying to get my change in Euros. Just trying to ride the exchange rate wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode