Your First Time Refueling & Airing Up - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Your First Time Refueling & Airing Up

First motorcycle (loving my Versys) and just filled up for the first time. I got kind of dizzy, watching my fuel poor in, ensuring I allowed the air to settle as the fumes arose. My little complaint has to do with airing up . . .

Those gas station air stations leave you no room. What a task fitting the air station nozzle to my valve stem. Anyone else attempt fitting an air station nozzle to your Versys' valve stem?

I'm definitely going to purchase a personal pump tonight that is both compact for travels and so I can air up from my driveway. In fact, both my tires were at around 20psi today before airing up. Now they're at 33/37 (I know the OEM is 32/36). What a difference in handling and acceleration.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience as a newbie and check in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Straight tyre valves are hoplessy awkward to use, especially on the front wheel when the rotors get in the way.

Best thing to do is fit 90deg metal tyre valves... point them to right hand side of bike (easier to access when on kickstand and you don't get your hands dirty from the chain)
Never have to worry about rubber valve stems again.

If you are looking into getting a Motorcycle pump - look at http://www.motopumps.com and their Mini Pro pump. this one can also do Car and Truck Tyres.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I got one of the 90 degree valve extension for the Versys to use to fill the tires. On the FJR i got the 90 Degree Valves Stems..http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=90+degree+valve+stems

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-28-2014 at 07:31 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I got one of the 90 degree valve extension for the Versys to use to fill the tires. On the FJR i got the 90 Degree Valves Stems..http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ee+valve+stems

The problem with the angled add-on extensions is if you leave them on the valve the added weight can compromise the rubber stem.
Also you have added another potential point for failure - you are relying on a now 2 seals in the valve stem (with extension) rather than 1 (without) to hold the air in.

The valve Extensions are cheap and you can put them on without taking the tyre off - but when you do get new tyres, get the 90deg metal valve stems at the same time - they have to replace the stem anyway.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
The problem with the angled add-on extensions is if you leave them on the valve the added weight can compromise the rubber stem.
Also you have added another potential point for failure - you are relying on a now 2 seals in the valve stem (with extension) rather than 1 (without) to hold the air in.

The valve Extensions are cheap and you can put them on without taking the tyre off - but when you do get new tyres, get the 90deg metal valve stems at the same time - they have to replace the stem anyway.
I just used the extension when i needed air. Didn't leave it on the valve stem.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

I went ahead and put an order in for the CyclePump air compressor just a moment ago, as many members were swearing by its efficiency. Though, I recently read somewhere that the CyclePump's air clamp may have issues securely clasping onto Dunlop tire stems, which just so happen to be my stock tires. If this is true then I will cancel my order and go with the MotoPump.

What's you're .2cents on the CyclePump having issues with Dunlop tire (valve) stems?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 AM

Garage
When you replace the OEM tyres put these in

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 AM

This is my 7th year riding my V - I've never had an issue adding air to my tires or checking the pressures. I just hold the air hose about 10 degrees out of line of the plane of the wheel. ??? It's just a space/angle thing. Think in 3 dimensions and you've got it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM

I purchased the slime air compressor...Works great! http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406642728&sr=8-3&keywords=slime+air+compressor
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
The ONLY flat I've had on my Vs was when I'd replaced my valve stem w/ a rubber 90 degree one... and it leaked (from the centrifugal force trying to pull it OFF to the side) around where it comes out of the wheel.

Be SURE to get the metal 90 when you do!

Or just put the air-hose on from the side, like I do.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg1 View Post
First motorcycle (loving my Versys) and just filled up for the first time. I got kind of dizzy, watching my fuel poor in, ensuring I allowed the air to settle as the fumes arose. My little complaint has to do with airing up . . .

Those gas station air stations leave you no room. What a task fitting the air station nozzle to my valve stem. Anyone else attempt fitting an air station nozzle to your Versys' valve stem?

I'm definitely going to purchase a personal pump tonight that is both compact for travels and so I can air up from my driveway. In fact, both my tires were at around 20psi today before airing up. Now they're at 33/37 (I know the OEM is 32/36). What a difference in handling and acceleration.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience as a newbie and check in.

Last tire change I replaced the valve stems with these. They make it much easier to air up. Note these should face out to the right on both wheels so as to be accessible when the bike is leaning to the left on the kickstand. I use these in combination with a cheap 12V pump I carry in my car. It has a pressure gauge built in to the pump. No issues over 10,000km with my valve stems. Just make sure these are tightened up correctly when installed. Mine are the metal ones shown below, they are a high quality part.

The valve stems sell for about $7 to $14 on Ebay and at motorcycle parts places.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-29-2014 at 09:53 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 01:44 AM

For me, upright bicycle pump at home, or I use my compressor with tire inflater fitting. If it's early or late I'm not gonna start the compressor. Or if I only have one tire to do, usually simpler just to pump it with the bike pump.

The only times I remember inflating the Versys at a gas station was after flat repair.

Bicycle mini-pump under the seat along with tools, tire plug kit, etc.

I second the recommendation for right angle valve stems. Especially in front.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:16 PM

You'll get used to it. The biggest PITA I find is when you roll the bike out of the shed to air up the tires is that the two valve stems never end up in a place where you can access them. Usually one of them ends up behind the caliper.
Why is that???
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
...Usually one of them ends up behind the caliper.
Why is that???
NEVER happens to me...

'Course mine's on stands...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 02:38 PM

30 gal compressor at home. I never stop at a station because i wont have a true cold tire reading at that point. I check weekly

My first fillup was last week, got 49mpg. Im wondering if filling while upright yields the most fuel since i swear that first bar went away a lot sooner than when the dealer left me with a full tank
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:07 PM

Yes, fill upright increases the amount of fuel you will get in the tank. I think you are supposed to only fill to the bottom of the baffle but when I'm on the road I fill I to the bottom of the neck and get another 1/2 gallon or so in it.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Yes, fill upright increases the amount of fuel you will get in the tank. I think you are supposed to only fill to the bottom of the baffle but when I'm on the road I fill I to the bottom of the neck and get another 1/2 gallon or so in it.
Some of us fill to the TOP of the neck, and get around .4 to .5 galUS extra. IF you have the charcoal cannister - DON'T fill like I do UNLESS you remove it (as I did...).

I ONLY fill up when I will ride AT LEAST 10 miles before stopping.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Some of us fill to the TOP of the neck, and get around .4 to .5 galUS extra. IF you have the charcoal cannister - DON'T fill like I do UNLESS you remove it (as I did...).

I ONLY fill up when I will ride AT LEAST 10 miles before stopping.
My exact procedure! I removed my canister, but I still don't like the idea of a super full tank getting baked in the sun. I always ride off a little of the excess. That extra half gallon or so is nice for the long trips though.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

I've used the CyclePump and it did fine. I'm happy with it and I'm sure it will come in handy when doing my first tour. I do like those 90 degree valves though.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 AM

I only fill up to the baffle on the filler neck when upright. The only models with evap equipment should be cali models right? Otherwise during expansion in the sun doesn't raw fuel just get dumped down the tube?

My Vulcan had a side mounted filler so I always filled whilst on the kickstand but I swear I saw what looked like an overflow drain hole built into the filler neck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode