Abnormally short shift lever? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Abnormally short shift lever?

Is it just me or is the shift lever on the Versys super short? Coming from a dual sport, I like to keep the shift lever very high. I tried that when I first got my versys but the lever is so short that I had to ride around with only my toes on the left peg or else I would bump the lever all the time.

So now I moved the lever to a lower position like I see most people do, so my toes can extend over the top of the lever. This works ok but my feet still get hung up all the time. Sometimes I bump the lever downwards when trying to upshift and sometimes my foot just gets stuck and I have to awkwardly wriggle it out from under the lever.

So whats the deal? I don't have huge feet.... Only size 10. And I'm not wearing MX boots or anything.... I'm wearing the lightest boots I feel safe in. They are practically high top sneakers. Is this a design flaw or is there some magic trick to shifting a "street bike" that I don't know about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
It was too short for me too. Straightening it out a bit helped slightly. I then lengthened it by at least 1/4" when I welded on a folding shift lever

Last edited by invader; 07-28-2014 at 04:54 PM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Why did Kawasaki even bother with this complex linkage? If they would have just attached the lever directly to the shaft and faced it rearward it would have been infinitely adjustable on the splines and there would be no problem.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote-Morado View Post
Why did Kawasaki even bother with this complex linkage? If they would have just attached the lever directly to the shaft and faced it rearward it would have been infinitely adjustable on the splines and there would be no problem.
your method makes a shorter lever and then leverage with your toes would be harder.

Longer the lever the easier to rotate.

Also the rod allows for fine adjustment of lever height. The gear box selector shaft does not have very fine splines so then adjustment at the toe might be 1in distances.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
your method makes a shorter lever and then leverage with your toes would be harder.

Longer the lever the easier to rotate.

Also the rod allows for fine adjustment of lever height. The gear box selector shaft does not have very fine splines so then adjustment at the toe might be 1in distances.
I shift using my entire foot. Not my toes. This is the way to do it if you actually wear riding boots- and I mean real riding boots with adequate ankle support, not those goofy soft Napoleon Dynamite moon boots that AlpineStar sells. Because of this leverage and fine adjustment have absolutely no value to me. Attaching the shift lever directly to the splines works perfectly fine on many motorcycles (Including the other Kawa I own). About the only advantage I can imagine from the linkage on the Versys is that you can easily shift with a wiggle of your toes when wearing flip flops. I am actually unable to ride the Versys wearing proper motorcycle boots and have had to start wearing a very light pair of hiking boots. A motorcycle that prohibits the use of proper safety gear? Brilliant.....
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:18 PM

Just remove your shift lever and take it to a welder to have it lengthened... You could easily remove and reinstall it on location.

Last edited by invader; 07-28-2014 at 08:20 PM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Just remove your shift lever and take it to a welder to have it lengthened... You could easily remove and reinstall it on location.
Actually what I've been thinking after playing with the damn thing all evening. I just got back from a 700 mile ride through Washington and British Columbia and I fought the shift lever the entire way. It is really getting on my nerves.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I shift using my entire foot. Not my toes. This is the way to do it if you actually wear riding boots- and I mean real riding boots with adequate ankle support, not those goofy soft Napoleon Dynamite moon boots that AlpineStar sells. Because of this leverage and fine adjustment have absolutely no value to me. Attaching the shift lever directly to the splines works perfectly fine on many motorcycles (Including the other Kawa I own). About the only advantage I can imagine from the linkage on the Versys is that you can easily shift with a wiggle of your toes when wearing flip flops. I am actually unable to ride the Versys wearing proper motorcycle boots and have had to start wearing a very light pair of hiking boots. A motorcycle that prohibits the use of proper safety gear? Brilliant.....
It's not a 20K sports bike with rear sets.

I have US13 flippers.
I raised my lever so I can toe shift in my Boots - has hard capped toes.
It is too tall for my in my everyday shoes.
I deal with it.

If I need to adjust height - it takes 15 secs.
Would love a longer lever - just not bothered to fix it yet.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
It's not a 20K sports bike with rear sets.

I have US13 flippers.
I raised my lever so I can toe shift in my Boots - has hard capped toes.
It is too tall for my in my everyday shoes.
I deal with it.

If I need to adjust height - it takes 15 secs.
Would love a longer lever - just not bothered to fix it yet.
Do you ride with your toes pointed down? I really cant figure out how anyone uses this shift lever. I cant get the soft toes of my trials boots under the shifter when its at its highest point. So how are you getting hard toed boots in there?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 AM

Garage
You have to remember, they design these with a generic person in mind. It won't fit everyone all the time. It won't be liked by every one. But most will like it and can adjust to fit. Then there are those like Speedy who like it so much, They make products to "enhance" it for those it doesn't fit. Maybe ask him what it would cost to machine a longer "custom fit" lever for you. That mans products are great.

But yes I think the design was for a slightly downward pointing boot. Arch of foot on the peg, natural rest, toes kinda point down. That way its an even split of moving foot above to downshift or below to up shift.

Last edited by mikej; 07-29-2014 at 02:53 AM.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Do you ride with your toes pointed down? I really cant figure out how anyone uses this shift lever. I cant get the soft toes of my trials boots under the shifter when its at its highest point. So how are you getting hard toed boots in there?

I have MotoWerks Front peg lowering blocks. This helps me.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a bit of trouble when I wear my MX boots (shifting UP), but I ride w/ the balls of my feet on the 'pegs and NO problems w/ other riding boots. Mine are size 10 to 12, depending on the boot.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 PM

I have detected no difficulty whatsoever with my shifter after 20k+ miles... Boot size 8.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I don't know what the deal is here. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and my toes pointed forward. Since the shifter, at it's highest adjustment, is level with the peg, I have to dip my toes down below the peg to grab the shifter. That is simply not possible with boots on. Do I have to heel shift this thing like an MX rider?
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:02 PM

You guys quit your aimless bickering. Just take your damn shifter to a welder and have it lenghtened.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

I just want to know if there is a trick to it before I start hacking things up and spending money.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 05:44 PM

I really like my knurled aluminum shifter tip, which is also folding. I get better shifter feel and control compared to with the stock protruding end with lousy ribbed rubber that wears out. The slightly increased leverage with longer shifter helps as well.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don't need a folding end if you don't stack it!
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Ok ok ok. Hold everything.... I think those little punch marks used for initial set up were in the wrong spot on my shifter. It goes WAAAY higher now. But I want to be sure its on the right spline.... I don't want to bend anything. So on a properly assembled Versys, what happens first? Does the adjustment rod hit the shifter on up shifts or does it just fall off? Before everything would just fall apart just as the shifter came above the peg. Now I can get the shifter up high enough that it bangs on the adjuster during up-shifts. Which is the right spot?
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 PM

Fall apart?? It should definitely not bang on adjuster on upshifts. What the hell are you attempting to achieve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode