long leg people, help me.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
long leg people, help me..

I have been looking for a Versys thinking it would make a nice light, low budget sport tourer, all the review talk about it being tall and sitting on one in the dealership for 2 minutes it seemed ok.

So I just got back from taking my first 20 mile ride on one, an 08. Motor - great, smoother than I'd heard and plenty of power. gear box nice and tight and stock fairing seemed very good. I was very happy with all of the above, exceeded expectations.

Seat and seat to peg ergonomics - horrible. It could be a deal breaker.

For me the seat is way too low, way too soft and angles forward. I'd be hurting in 50 miles. If I could make it 2-3 inches taller and flatter I think it would be ok. I'm not looking to spend $500 on a tall Baldwin right out of the gate.

stats - 6'2" 33" inseam. What are cost effective mods to fix this? Seat concepts maybe with extra foam? lowered pegs.. I'm a solid 3" off from being comfortable enough for touring. Seems like most of the seat mod stuff I can find is about lowering.. which seems crazy. My butt was sport-bike close to my boot heels when toes on the pegs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 11:28 AM

The motorwerks will lower the pegs and really help the legs out. There is a mod if you search that shows how to add a few washers to the front of the seat and level it out. The number one best investment for long tours is the airhawk seat cushion. I'm 6 5" so I understand trying to get things to fit.

Last edited by King.Versys; 07-26-2014 at 11:31 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 6'2" 33" inseam also..I went through about all the seats out there. First thing get the Motowerks Lowering Peg Blocks, Seat Concepts Seat. That should take care of it ....But i would also get the Motowerks Highway Peg Mounts for some highway pegs so you can stretch out if your are doing any longer distance rides. I added handle bar risers to mine and the bike was really comfortable for me..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 03:12 PM

The seat this is the worst thing about the bike. There is a mod on this site somewhere that fixes it with washers and some new bolts but for a quick fix you can remove the seat and put something at the front where it slips into the metal hook fastener. . . thingy. That takes out the slant. I used an old boonie I had rolled it up and stuck it in there. You cant secure the front of the seat but I did that for 1000 miles and never had a problem. The seat went from unbearable after 20 minutes to all day comfortable. Hope that helps I also have lowered the pegs with the aforementioned motowerks kit.

Last edited by Flanny; 07-26-2014 at 03:14 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 04:47 PM

6"9' here. I've become accustomed to the seat. It's probably the worst feature of the V, but being as tall as I am, I have to accept a certain level of discomfort in damn near everything.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 05:05 PM

I ended up with the Seat Concepts seat with +1 firmness foam. The Motowerks peg drop AND bar riser. I find the cockpit is larger than my KLR now. I not sure but you can call Seat Concepts and see if they offer a tall saddle for the Versys. I know they have one for the KLR.

BTW after these upgrades I can roll all day long without discomfort. Before I was done at an hour.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 07-26-2014 at 07:02 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I have been looking for a Versys thinking it would make a nice light, low budget sport tourer, all the review talk about it being tall and sitting on one in the dealership for 2 minutes it seemed ok.

So I just got back from taking my first 20 mile ride on one, an 08. Motor - great, smoother than I'd heard and plenty of power. gear box nice and tight and stock fairing seemed very good. I was very happy with all of the above, exceeded expectations.

Seat and seat to peg ergonomics - horrible. It could be a deal breaker.

For me the seat is way too low, way too soft and angles forward. I'd be hurting in 50 miles. If I could make it 2-3 inches taller and flatter I think it would be ok. I'm not looking to spend $500 on a tall Baldwin right out of the gate.

stats - 6'2" 33" inseam. What are cost effective mods to fix this? Seat concepts maybe with extra foam? lowered pegs.. I'm a solid 3" off from being comfortable enough for touring. Seems like most of the seat mod stuff I can find is about lowering.. which seems crazy. My butt was sport-bike close to my boot heels when toes on the pegs.
I'm 6' 2" with a 36" INSEAM and have been able to make it reasonably comfortable with seat (Adcock & Airhawk)) peg lowering (Motowerk) bar risers 3" combined (ROX and Motowerk) It is possible. I've done a 1400 mile weekend and didn't feel too bad...

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 09:25 PM

I am 6'2 and have the lowered pegs, the first couple of test rides on the V without them were Bru-tal I do not ride more then 2 hrs. anyway because the neck surgery I had makes my hands go numb if I ride longer then that, so I can tolerate the seat that long.
I think the design of the seat is to keep weight forward and lower, that position seems more natural to me if I am pushing it into twisties.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I guess I'm one of those strange people who like the sport touring riding posture on the Versys. I even kept the forward lean on my custom seat. I've done 800 miles days and 7000 miles during a 3 week vacation. I put the ball of my foot on the pegs and am very comfortable.

5'11" with 33" inseam.

Before lowering the pegs I would recommend a sheepskin pelt on the seat with maybe an airhawk under it.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
OMG Danny, a Versys? at least you know first hand that they run pretty good.
Well I can see they'll let anybody join this forum.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions, sounds like leg room solutions are working for you guys.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 02:34 PM

my two bits worth

I added a gel seat pad which gives about an extra inch of height, a set of speedy footpeg lowering brackets (another inch) and a set of speedy hyway peg brackets (for road trips)and it works much better. IMO if you took the seat into an upholstery guy and had him make the bucket style into a bench (old school style) seat so you could move around alot more, that's all it would really take to make it fit taller riders.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
darn near anyone, heck, they just let you in, a thumper dude of all things.
A dirty smelly one at that!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Seat and seat to peg ergonomics - horrible. It could be a deal breaker....
Shouldn't be a "deal-braker" - 'peg lowering blocks from Speedy, several washers and two longer bolts to raise the font of the seat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
The motorwerks will lower the pegs and really help the legs out. There is a mod if you search that shows how to add a few washers to the front of the seat and level it out. The number one best investment for long tours is the airhawk seat cushion. I'm 6 5" so I understand trying to get things to fit.
Listen to the "KING"....

Quote:
Well I can see they'll let anybody join this forum.
There's TRUTH in THAT statement..., BOTH ways...!

Quote:
darn near anyone, heck, they just let you in, a thumper dude of all things.
Dave, Dave, Dave - we ALL had to start SOMEWHERE...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
now he's on a Versys. no, he's not building a rat, just wants a light touring moto.
Show good taste. That what my Versys was built up for. Of course a hospital stay shot down the plans for this year but next year, HELLO Florida!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 10:06 AM
djg

6'3", 34" inseam. Rox risers, Speedy peg lowering kit and a Baldwin tall gel seat for me. The Baldwin seat is really nice and subjectively worth the price for me, but if I were doing it all over today, I would look at the Seat Concepts product, based on what forum members have said.

I bought my '09 new, and the seat really was very uncomfortable for me, sliding forward. An Alaska Leather sheepskin helped a bit, but the new seat did wonders.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Was able to hit DMV Saturday for tags and reg. Got in my first ~50 miles on bike Sunday, half with the wife on the back. fun and zippy but ergonomics are terrible. Legs are cramped and that stock seat is so thin and soft my butt is still angry. Seat Concepts (firm) and footpeg lowering brackets on the way.

I am completely un-lowered now and also waiting for a KLR650 side stand to show up. Yesterday I carried a small block of 2x4 in my pocket to slip under the kickstand in case I stopped.

Hope these parts make a big difference. If I had to make a long road trip on a motorcycle today I would immediately go for my DR650. Hopefully the tall transformation will even things up for the V.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:10 PM

A relative shorty here at 6 feet with a 33" inseam. I bought an Alaska Leather sheepskin cover. I don't mind the peg/seat position but the sheepskin really helps to keep the seat from rolling your nut sack like an enchilada.
Does anybody have pics of the seat shim trick?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:24 PM

I'm 6'5". 225lbs. Shimed the front seat tab & added a seat pad of my own design. Pegs lowered. Bar risers. Don't feel cramped. However, the fact I have a long torso results in not even the tallest after market screens work well for me.

I went from a DR650 to the Versys because the V is actually a street bike - which is where I do 99% of my riding these days. Mostly freeway as well. Not having decent wind protection was one thing I disliked about the DR. At 70-80mph it was more about trying to hold on instead of just relaxing and riding. The V is much better. Just wish I could get a nice air bubble.

Next thought is to adjust the ergos to more sport bike like. Ditch the bar risers, ditch the tall screen, possibly move the passenger hump back (or remove it altogether) so I can ride in a more aggressive stance. I mean according to my insurance, it IS a sport bike. Might try riding it like one.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

I have fabbed up a ram ball mounted vstrom shield on the DR. it helps a lot on long rides but I know what you mean, DR not the greatest interstate/75mph+ bike.

The peg lowering brackets came in and I put them on.. Wow, that made a huge difference! Even w stock seat its much better to ride.. Come on seat concepts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode