well my versys is going. damn clearance sales :) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

well my versys is going. damn clearance sales :)

Not knocking the versys at all it has been a GREAT and ideal first bike for me. It allowed me to precisely what I like and dislike in a motorcycle. It rides great, has very good MPG, and always started every time the first time. those are the things that i really very much like about the bike. But I could just never get it to fit me right. I am far to upright to the point to where I was/am leaning back a little putting ALOT of pressure on my lower back, and I have a good back. This would cause me to have to stop/stand and walk around more than I liked to. I had tried many things to try and solve that problem and it did help out quite a bit but it was still there. So the search was on.

Well I tried out many different motorcycles to find the one that gave me the position that i was looking for. Trues out the yamaha FZ-1 has it. It puts a little more weight in my hands (the versys put none, literally) and I forward enough to keep all of the pressure from being on my lower back. While that was all fine and good but I just thought that it was too expensive hence the name of the thread. I went to a different dealer the other day and there it was and of course I went over to it to look at it. Then I noticed a tag on it. I though that was interesting because this dealer does not post its prices. This bike had one though and they put it on clearance because it was an 09 and the 2010's are coming. I was like sweet but how much are they going to hose me on a trade in you know. Once again though they surprised me because they were more than fair on that as well. Then I was like ok so I will get screwed on insurance seeing I am 26 years old and am looking at a liter bike. The guy gave me a number of a local insurance rep. and that fixed that problem. I am actually paying about half of what I was one the versys for insurance!!

Well that all being said I am going to pick it up tomorrow and let the versys, my first moto pal , to pick up my new moto pal

I will not be leaving this place though because it is still chalked full of great info and great people that I want to go ride with one day.

So see you guys (and gals ) but just with a new bike.

2008 versys red with full luggage

"when in doubt ghetto it out"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 PM

Sounds like you made a good choice...Bikes are a totally subjective animal and we all look, ride and feel differently about them all. The FZ is a sweet ride and I wish you the best with your new ride

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the approval LOL. Yeah the Versys is a very good bike and I will never knock it for its merits! to be honest if the bars could be about 2" lower and my seating position about 2" farther back this probably would have never happened! but allas its not.

Like I said I will be around and would love to come to the versys meet in the east coast in the spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:59 PM

You will love the FZ1 , it is a great machine , lots of power but not crazy and twitchy like an R1 , plus comfy enough for long days of scenic touring . Enjoy and post some pics when you get it ...........

** This space for rent **
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 AM

I am considering a new model FZ1 .............just look http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...-way/7936.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1801.jpg (129.7 KB, 87 views)

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:09 PM

A bigger pic of it

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

That is going to be the 2011 (that is actually a photoshop image) which will get the cross plane crank that the 2009 R1 got. Other than that the 2010 is exactly that same as the 2009 (which mine is) except for a slightly remapped FI.

BTW I got it last night! Man does this thing has more power and yet is seems to pull pretty well at lower rpms like the Versys did. Feels like this has more power at 5500 rpm than the Versys does revved all the way out, I'm going to have to be careful with the throttle on this one. Though to be honest the FZ-1 seems to be a little harder to get off the line smoothly, might just need to wear in the clutch but its not that bad and very livable.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Ya know you buy a new bike and then it SNOWS!!!! this sucks!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
Ya know you buy a new bike and then it SNOWS!!!! this sucks!
Cause and effect man!

If you had kept your V it never would have snowed. I know I haven't seen snow since I bought mine

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 AM
FJS

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
That is going to be the 2011 (that is actually a photoshop image) which will get the cross plane crank that the 2009 R1 got. Other than that the 2010 is exactly that same as the 2009 (which mine is) except for a slightly remapped FI.

BTW I got it last night! Man does this thing has more power and yet is seems to pull pretty well at lower rpms like the Versys did. Feels like this has more power at 5500 rpm than the Versys does revved all the way out, I'm going to have to be careful with the throttle on this one. Though to be honest the FZ-1 seems to be a little harder to get off the line smoothly, might just need to wear in the clutch but its not that bad and very livable.
Shure does sound like you have never ridden a liter bike, be careful because the fazer has more than twice the power of the V and you can get into trouble real fast, be smart, not a statistic.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

well you are right i have never ridden a liter bike before. I am a careful rider that is for sure, careful driver as well. just something that i noticed and didn't expect the getting off the line to be harder. still need to break it in still so i will need to see if that makes a difference.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Enjoy the new bike. At your age you can stand to be leaned over. I sure had my share of bikes over the years and enjoyed each one for their own merits. Just be careful of all the power. Heck at 62 i still would like to ride a V-Max once or more. As an older rider i would love to be able to ride a bent over sport bike but my back won't take it thus the upright Versys now which i love. Have a good time and be safe.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Deano. the versys is actaully too up right for me. it was putting pressure on my lower back alot and i would have to stop quick frequently just to stretch out my lower back. the reason that is true is because i am 6'5" tall and the versys is just too short from the seat to the handle bars. the FZ-1 has a bit lower bar (not too much) but the seat to the handle bar is about 3-4 longer and that is what i needed. I had actaully sat one quite a few true sport bikes as well and could immediately see that the handle bars were too low for long rides (100+ miles) which i do plenty of. the power is a plus but not something that i really need or was looking for in a bike.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Congratulations! I had an FZ-1 and it is a sweet machine. Would most likely still have it, but I was side swiped by an SUV last year and the bike ended up about 150 feet down the road from me! Wasn't totaled by the insurance company, so I sold it outright for a reasonable sum to a friend who knew the bike had been down.

The motor is a sweetheart, powerful yet smooth. Riding position is good, though I did get a Corbin for the front seat as I got monkey butt after 100 miles on the stock seat. Added a Laminar Lip to the stock shield and with a set of soft bags it made a great sport tourer. You'll enjoy it, that's for sure...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:09 PM

If you think the FZ1 has power now, wait til you get her past 7000 rpm. Get a new seat if you ride any kind of distance, I have a sargeant. The one thing I don't like about the bike is that Yamaha limits power in the first 4 gears, and unlike some makes, it is impossible to defeat. You'll like it, it's a nice ride...I am sick of 4 cylinders, so I am looking into a versys......

2008 Yamaha FZ1
2009 Ducati 696
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Hiya Bud... I do understand in what your saying... re: your back... I actually lowered my Versys by 50mm (only the rear end) this made it alot more easier to saddle the bike (not that I had that problem - I'm 1.8mtrs - 6' tall) but felt that riding it like this now will help me on long major runs.... and also for my daughter 23yrs Sian @ 5' 8" tall can stradle the bike and can ride it well too. I know it isn't going to be every body's idea of what a Versys should look like... but I still enjoy what I did cause it's "styled' as my bike now! being a Hotrodder - obviuosly we make our marks on what we own... and this is no different on my Versys....

enjoy your new bike.... Happy New Year to you

catchya when - until then.... all the best Andreas

Last edited by Andreas56; 12-30-2009 at 03:22 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM

oops???... Hmmm - I did re-edit the orginal comment... but it didn't come through?... I meant to add was that check out my photos of my vehicles and you can see what I like to do.... thanks Andreas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode