Newb about to buy. Should I wait for the 2010? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Newb about to buy. Should I wait for the 2010?

I've decided to pull the trigger on a new Versys but now I'm wondering which one to buy. Just wondering what the general opinion is on the improvments for the 2010 model. Should I wait for the new model or save a few $$ on the 09? I'm new to the Versys but not motorcycles.

Seems like a great board! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:14 PM

I believe it mostly comes down to looks, whether you like the old or the new styling better. When the '10 model was initially discussed on this forum, the styling was by far the most talked about and most polarizing feature of the new bike.
Technical improvements seemed minor.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:51 PM

There are no significant changes for 2010, as Pretbek mentions. It's really down to looks, which makes those left over '09's screaming bargains in my book...

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:20 PM

rubber mounts...

The rubber mounts might be worth the extra $$$. I like the '10 a lot...in black!

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:15 PM

If money isn't an issue , I prefer new over used , I like to break the bike in my way , and I know it hasn't been raced or is a rebuilt bike ( illegal non-titled) or bagged and beaten on by a stunter etc.... plus you can have the "I am dating the new girl in school" feeling, as opposed to every other guy with that "my girl has been around the block but I still love her" feeling ........That said you can get a low mileage bike with all or most of the farkles for a huge savings which can be used for a bike trip to wherever .........tough call , good luck .

** This space for rent **
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM

I think you should buy my beautiful 2009 Green Versys and let me buy the ugly 2010 Black Versys...

How about it???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Gents. I'm definately buying new but it's the 09 vs 10. Used isn't a consideration at this point not least of reasons is that i havn't actually seen one for sale within 500 miles of here.... which is a good endorsement for the bike as far as I'm concerned. Are they buzzy enough to make rubber mounting worth the wait? From what I've read I thought the engine was nicely counterbalanced?
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
I think you should buy my beautiful 2009 Green Versys and let me buy the ugly 2010 Black Versys...

How about it???

I might but I'm in Jacksonville Fl and I gather that you're in L.A.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 PM

Some complain about the buzz, most don't. The mirrors vibrate for sure. The vibration is not an issue, at all, IMHO. I went one tooth larger on the front sprocket to calm things down on the highway and to stretch out first gear. 09 or 10 ? It's down to looks really. It's these types of tough decisions in life everybody should have. Lucky for you it's your turn.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:27 PM

What vibration? I came to the Versys from an old Sportster, so I don't notice any. If I were in your shoes, I would be really tempted to get an 09 if I could find a deal
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 PM

FWIW, Talked to a couple of reps at the IMS and asked them about the rubber (rear only) engine mounts and they both said the difference was "inperceptable"...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 PM

Wait and get the 2010.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 AM

ultimately its your choice

there should be some better deals on pre 2010 models, but there may be a bigger depreciation hit on pre 2010 models when the new model eventually comes out, whether the discount offsets that is a moot point.

aside from the colour issue (I like, mean really really like yellow) I don't think there is a significant amount of difference to hold out for a 2010 model. theres nothing performance wise, theres a bit of tweaking. looking at the tank it may be a bit better at withstanding the scuffs and scrapes that seem to be part of riding a bike. the fornt end is different, and you either like that or not.

so I suppose it comes down to you, if you wait for the new model thas 3..4 months of not riding a Versys when you coudl be. if you don't plan on riding much between now and say March/April then that doesn't matter.

In th UK at least there are mumblings that Kawasaki are going to jack up the price on the new model.

so financially its a no brainer.. get a current model, but then again if finance was the only choice, you'd get a second hand low mileage example

if you 'must' have the newest things and must be seen with the newest things go get a 2010 model, its distinctive enough from previous years model changes which have been limited to colours and some minor change to the front brake reservoir.

My impression so far of Versys riders is they don't seem to be especially 'fashion' led, ie they seem to buy the bike solely for the pleasure of riding, theres not a lot of preening, 'look at me, aren't I wonderful' thats seems to be the hallmark of quite a few bikes/bike makes. So having the newest shiniest somethingist Versys isn't going to win friends and favours.

but what ever you do do... go buy a Versys and enjoy it for what it is, you wont regret it.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 PM

The 2010 model has several real improvements. In addition to the rubber mounts, the bike looks cooler, has better mirrors, and has hooks for luggage. That said, I *just* bought a new 2009. I love Kawasaki green, and I love having $1000 of extra green in my wallet.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 PM

I found a 2008 like new Versys with 1800 miles ridden by a 48 year old. I saved tons of money to spend on things like CD'S that they sell at my bank. Hey this is a great bike that is very dependable. A used Versys is the only way to go.You will possibly sell in a year or two and it will save you a lot when you step up.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
I might but I'm in Jacksonville Fl and I gather that you're in L.A.
Make me a good offer and I will ride the Versys to your door steps from Los Angeles...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Make me a good offer and I will ride the Versys to your door steps from Los Angeles...
I went to Long Beach Motorcycle show yesterday and checked out the 2010 Kawasaki Versys...

Before I look at 2010 Versys in person, it looks really good in photos... But after looking at the bike in person... I don't like it!!! I like my 09 Green Versys much better!!! Good !!! I don't have to trade up and save tons of money!!!

Wondering if anyone else feel the same...

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I went to Long Beach Motorcycle show yesterday and checked out the 2010 Kawasaki Versys...

Before I look at 2010 Versys in person, it looks really good in photos... But after looking at the bike in person... I don't like it!!! I like my 09 Green Versys much better!!! Good !!! I don't have to trade up and save tons of money!!!

Wondering if anyone else feel the same...
I was at the LB show also and I saw the Black 2010 and rode a Green 09. I'm going to save the money and get a 09 since I like the looks better.

So LA I saw 2 green V's in the parking lot was yours the one with the aftermarket windshield and seat or without?
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBrian View Post
I was at the LB show also and I saw the Black 2010 and rode a Green 09. I'm going to save the money and get a 09 since I like the looks better.

So LA I saw 2 green V's in the parking lot was yours the one with the aftermarket windshield and seat or without?
Wasn't mine. I was car pooling with friends... We were planning to buy some stuff from the show.

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 AM

I like the look of the '08-'09 over the 2010 model. If the price was the same I'd probably buy the 2010 but I think you'd be able to get a great deal on a new '09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode