Newbie needs help after wreck - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Newbie needs help after wreck

I'd like to get some advice form the wise sages here on the board. I have a 2008 Kawasaki Versys, and I had the misfortune of having a "minor" accident last weekend. I was making a right turn at an intersection and while making the turn was rear-ended by a car. Which threw me off balance and caused me to drop the bike in the intersection. Fortunately I was fairly quick and got out of the way of the bike and for the most part I'm fine. Just a little soreness in my forearms I suppose from the force of being hit while holding on to the handle bars. The car that hit me was a Lotus Exige S 260... So the front end was extremely low and the car really hit the rear tire, as it wasn't tall enough to strike any higher. Other than some minor faring damage / mirror damage, and snapping off of the clutch lever, and bending the gear shift, the bike seems fine and drive able. I'm just concerned that it may have done some frame damage to the rear end (I'm no expert). What should I look for or how can I tell if there is frame damage? I plan on taking the bike to the dealer (the owner of the lotus will pay for all repairs), and let them evaluate it. Is that reasonable?

BTW other than being totally stunned after the impact and once some friendly motorists helped me move the bike out of the intersection. Once I came to my senses and saw the minor damage to my bike. That and several pedestrians told the lotus owner cool car, I was tempted to pay for the damage myself in exchange for taking his car for a spin LOL.

BTW I was glad to have full leathers, helmet, boots etc on. It reminds me how vulnerable we all are, and I was glad to have reinforced toes on the boots as the bike came perilously close to landing on my foot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 AM

Taking it to the dealer for a "go through" is the smart thing to do...Glad to hear you came out of it in good shape...And welcome aboard...Keep us posted as to the V's prognosis...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:26 AM

Garage
Trust the dealer

Hi TheCastle

I am glad that the damage to you is relativley minor.

Look out for delayed whiplash. Were you checked over by a Dr or medical centre?

The dealer should be able to evaluate the frame when they check everything else out. If not, find a bodyshop that specializes in bikes.

You don't say where you are.

Good luck with getting the Lotus driver to pay. I hope you don't have any problems getting his insurance to pay for everything.

You will be surprised how expensive a lever here and there and a fairing are - I expect they will be $500 + by the time they are installed.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:34 AM

take the bike to a competent dealer or repair shop
report the incident to your insurer, let them handle it.
on the face of it it is the Lotus drivers fault, so there should be no need for you to duck and dive

it sounds like there will be little damage, but y'never know so get it checked professionally for your sake, and anyone else who rides that bike now or in the future
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 AM

I bent the gear shift when I laid mine down earlier this year.

Check the linkage!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I didn't notice it (was more concerned with mangled bars) and it snapped on me last month. It's a $12 part at the local dealer.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 AM

By the way, I had to replace the left-side cowling, bars, generator cover, grips, bar-ends, and the linkage and it was about $450. The dealer would probably have been a tad bit more because of labor but I've found my dealer keeps similar parts prices to Bike Bandit and the lot and he doesn't charge me shipping.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 AM

Is the swingarm damaged?

The rear tire doesn't connect directly to the frame. And a simple drop on its side shouldn't cause any frame damage.

If the swingarm is bent, cracked, not aligned, then check the swingarm bearing area for damage (cracks, etc).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 AM

You also need to check to see if the rear wheel is damaged.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Hi TheCastle

I am glad that the damage to you is relativley minor.

Look out for delayed whiplash. Were you checked over by a Dr or medical centre?

The dealer should be able to evaluate the frame when they check everything else out. If not, find a bodyshop that specializes in bikes.

You don't say where you are.

Good luck with getting the Lotus driver to pay. I hope you don't have any problems getting his insurance to pay for everything.

You will be surprised how expensive a lever here and there and a fairing are - I expect they will be $500 + by the time they are installed.
I live in League City, TX just south of Houston. The accident happened on the I-45 frontage road in Galveston, as I was making a right turn on 61st street to go to the sea wall. There are two right turn lanes at that intersection, and I was in the 2nd right turn lane (center lane), and there was a semi in the right most lane. We had a green arrow for the right turn, but since I know semi's turn wide, I was hesitant to go. I made eye contact with the semi driver who then came to a complete stop and I figured he was letting me go before he turned. So I went cautiously at first, and I guess the lotus driver was figuring I was going to go faster misjudged my acceleration and hit me from behind. Fortunately there was a semi driver in the lane next to me who witnessed the whole accident. He actually got out of his semi and helped me get my bike back up after the accident. The truck driver left me his contact info, and I got the lotus drivers contact information, insurance, DL# plate #'s etc. So one way or another he'll be hearing from me. BTW the damage to his car looked like it might be fairly expensive as he cracked his front bumper and air dam. The lotus driver was really upset at himself as he claimed to own 4 bikes himself and said he was always careful around motorcycles out of courtesy, so he we really upset that he hit a fellow biker.

So far I'm feeling fine, just a little soreness in my forearms. I'm guess from the force of being hit, and holding the handle bars.

The lotus the front end was low enough he only hit the rear tire, so I'm concerned that he may have done some swing arm damage. So glad it wasn't a monster diesel pickup truck with a deer guard on the front who hit me

On the way home I didn't notice any unusual vibration when driving the bike back home. But I'm not sure something in the back didn't get bent.

I'm not enough of a bike expert to know what to really look for, but I wanted to know something for when I take it to a dealer to make sure they're not overlooking something.

I want the bike back in safe condition. Thanks everyone for your help.

BTW One dose re-evaluate after something like this about whether or not to keep their bikes... Could of been a whole lot worse, I just feel extremely lucky that my first accident was so minor and no one got seriously hurt. Just makes you realize that your gear, your skills, and your wits are the only things you've got to save yourself.

Last edited by TheCastle; 12-02-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode