Finally got her on the bike but now I need a radio - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Finally got her on the bike but now I need a radio

Since I bought my bike early this spring my girlfriend has refused to get on the back. Sunday during a benefit ride she finally caved and hopped on. She decided she likes it soooo much better than my last bike (2010 Harley 48). I can see why. Her only requests are a back rest and a radio. The backrest I will get when I can afford the Givi top case. The radio......Any suggestions?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How about an MP3 player and a set of ear buds? That way she can have exactly the tunes she likes most.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Well hopefully you wear FF or modular helmets. If you do, get the latest Sena Bluetooth headsets. You can talk with each other and stream music from your smartphone or other Bluetooth enabled device like a GPS unit that plays mp3s.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

We do typically wear FF helmets which I find is an issue with the earbuds. I had a chatterbox setup but it broke after 2 years. very disappointed as it wasn't cheap. she is much more of a fan of the half helmet after she borrowed her moms last year. I tried to push her towards the FF but she says "they are too heavy and mess up my hair" (I am atgatt so you can imagine my response to this). I would like speakers on the bars or tank bag, as I found I very much dislike the speakers in the helmet with wires going everywhere, but it's probably the best way to go. Am I crazy?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 AM

My wife and I tried 3 or 4 different intercom systems over the past few years, and one thing we learned is stay away from cheap ones. A few months ago I decided to try again, and bought the Uclear HBC 100-Plus system. Absolutely love it. Perfect for cruising around and can still hear each other at 75mph on the freeway. Wife loves being able to listen to music as well. We could not be happier.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have Sena setup for my and my passenger (wife/son).
very useful, we can chat, listen music, answer phone.
no external wires, good volume, one hand operation.
got it from Ridersdiscount with a good price.

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 12:29 PM

If you get a set of sena smh5fm
you can talk to each other and have a fm radio as well
the new 20 also has the radio function as well
or if you you have a smart phone link it to any of the senas and use pandoera or Ihaeart radio as your radio or listen to music storeed on your phone

there is also a head head phone jack on the back where you can plug in an ipod or mp3 player

linke to sena 5
http://www.sena.com/product/product/smh5-fm/

link for sena 20
http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/20s/

I have the 10 they work great

bike to bike comunication long battery life.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:13 PM

You can get a pair of Sena SMH10s, one with a tiny stick-on mic for a full-face helmet, and one with a boom mic for a modular or half helmet.

With the Sena units, you don't have a lot of wires. The wires to the helmet speakers are tucked-in and unobtrusive (if you do the job right).

You can listen to music and also talk to each other via intercom.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

I think I will look into the sena sets thanks

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post

Heres a good price on a set of G9's ......http://www.amazon.com/Scala-Rider-G9-Powerset-210145/dp/B007Y8XZ58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405970968&sr=8-1&keywords=scala+g9 .I have the G9 and am very happy with it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

too rich for my blood Joe. haha thanks though. I just bought my first home so I am beyond poor at the moment due to home improvements.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
Definitely get a price from ridersdiscount by calling them before you decide. They definitely take care of us riders.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 05:29 PM

I just got my Sena SMH5-FM yesterday. Installed in my helmet today. Wow, nice set up and the FM radio reception along with the scan and preset functions are superb. I would highly recommend the Sena.

Jon
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 PM

I have the scala rider Q1 set for me and my woman. I think its the cheapest set they make, but it is very nice. Good volume when cruising down the highway, bluetooth, fm radio, and rider/passenger communication. The only thing it doesn't do is connect to more than one headset, which is fine by me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode