The best Helmet Cam - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The best Helmet Cam

I want to start video,ing my rides. I don,t live in that
great of a place with wonderful views of the mountain roads.
but we do have a lot backroads, wooded areas with old home places.
I would love to capture these places on a helmet cam video.
I guess what would be important to me would be video quality
and battery life.
Anyone have any thoughts on which the best one would be, and
of course price does matter. I guess the best cam for a decent price.
My most expensive farkle so for has been a corbin seat. I need to
stay well below that price. Any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks Dmc51
Happy Thanksgiving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A friend has GoPro Hero Wide helmet cam. Its performance and image quality is pretty outstanding, even on his vibey KTM 640 and in rough trails. It's also water proof down to 100 feet.

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=1

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/hero-camera/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 PM

Heres a couple go pro shots , they work great
This first shot won me a photo contest
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 02:32 PM

thanks guys. now there is another thing on my endless list of "wants".
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM

I crashed with my GoPro and although it ground the main mount down the camera was unscathed , protected by the waterproof casing . Here are a few pics of what it comes with ( for price it can't be beaten )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8140284.jpg (549.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg P6170064.jpg (570.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg P6180066.jpg (479.4 KB, 86 views)

** This space for rent **
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 PM

A video I made with a GoPro , heading up to a mountain lookout , very tight and steep , semi-overcast day , rough road and mounted on right side fairing low to middle Gopro sound on lower setting ( helps reduce the wind noise quite well ). Manning park ,BC ( 2-3 hours outside Vancouver ) also check the Dark CBR 12 O'clock video ( very short), GoPro mounted on gas tank

Last edited by BlackHammer; 11-29-2009 at 04:11 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 04:54 PM

If you have the GoPro mounted on your helmet, how do you trigger it to take a photo or video? Do you have to reach up there? Or do you set it to take continuous photos at a certain interval and weed thru them later on your computer?

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodVERSYSevil View Post
If you have the GoPro mounted on your helmet, how do you trigger it to take a photo or video? Do you have to reach up there? Or do you set it to take continuous photos at a certain interval and weed thru them later on your computer?
Yes it can be set to snap a pic every 2 seconds . You have to set the mode for video or pics prior to pushing the start button .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:03 PM

another altrernative is the
http://www.driftinnovation.com/dealer.html

a recently posted video on youtube of the camera in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj7M5P4cGJw

main issues seem to be wind noise on the camera.

not sure what other features the camera has, dont' knwo if it can be set to take stills at a preset rate
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
another altrernative is the
http://www.driftinnovation.com/dealer.html

a recently posted video on youtube of the camera in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj7M5P4cGJw

main issues seem to be wind noise on the camera.

not sure what other features the camera has, dont' knwo if it can be set to take stills at a preset rate
I like the remote on/off , but prefer the way the GoPro can set low volume so you get engine noise but little of that wind noise that kills most videos

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:20 AM

its strange how we look at things

comparing the video quality of the x170 camera to the samples you've posted, for me the x170 images seem smoother and more realisitic. my perception of the hero images was that it was jerky. now that always a tough one to resolve. I wouldn't expect to get those sort of problems on a PC... its the sort of issue Ive seen before when looking at stuff produced for the US/NTSC market place in PAL, or vice versa.

I'm not over fussed about the sound of the bike, what I am fussed about id the image quality. some of the samples on the GoPro site look fine, which makes me wonder if mebbe its an artifcat of the camera you have or the settings you used.

But i question how much reliance you can put on the manufacturers images. right now Im looking at two video's posted by users as opposed to makers.

Im looking at doing a big trip next year, and fancy the idea of some videos and or stills whilst on the road. I've toyed the idea of getting one of the Sanyo 'phase' style Xacti cameras. i've looked at one of the bike powered 'bullet' cameras from the likes of 4Kam, which look to give excellent results.

right now I'm tempted by the X170, the Gopro at present is ruled out because of the cost, whether its the importer or the manufacturer but we, in the UK seem to be on the age old scam of parity between sterling and the dollar, so the UK list price for the new HD camera is 300 as opposed to the 180 odd the exchange rate would suggest.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 PM

In my posted video it was under bad conditions for filming with a $180(can) camera , as stated above .( " semi-overcast day , rough road and mounted on right side fairing low to middle " ) Use a GoPro Helmet Cam mount and the video looks much better from ones I have seen by some local riders , (not company footage which is .....untrustworthy IMHO ) . I had an argument on my local forum with a guy saying basically how GoPro sucks and this model (xx) is a better camera , I argued that yes the (xx) camera is better but it was 3 x the cost ( $600-$700) , GoPro is a bang for buck camera , all you need to buy extra was batteries ( cheap) and a SD card ( 3 for $20 at Costco), it comes with all the mounts and wires to upload as well as being extremely durable and waterproof enough to do light diving with , not just some rain footage on a dirt bike . The sound selector is huge for me as I hate videos with loud buffeting and I don't edit in music ( because I suck at computer editing ) , mine was bough in 2007 , since then it has improved and they have wide angle and HD , but I will not try and upsell that because I really don't follow hightech crap , and know too little to try and convince you otherwise , I have tested the suction cup mount on side fairing at top speed ( Triumph Daytona 675 )and no issues with it falling off , placed properly it will stay on no matter speed ....or potholes , rain or shine .........still wish it had the remote record feature of the one you posted though , and it comes with the batteries and can use a 16 GB card , maybe it is a better deal at around $220 (can) ---------cheers

Last edited by BlackHammer; 11-30-2009 at 01:49 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:42 PM

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHammer View Post
In my posted video it was under bad conditions for filming with a $180(can) camera , as stated above .( " semi-overcast day , rough road and mounted on right side fairing low to middle " ) Use a GoPro Helmet Cam mount and the video looks much better from ones I have seen by some local riders , (not company footage which is .....untrustworthy IMHO ) . I had an argument on my local forum with a guy saying basically how GoPro sucks and this model (xx) is a better camera , I argued that yes the (xx) camera is better but it was 3 x the cost ( $600-$700) , GoPro is a bang for buck camera , all you need to buy extra was batteries ( cheap) and a SD card ( 3 for $20 at Costco), it comes with all the mounts and wires to upload as well as being extremely durable and waterproof enough to do light diving with , not just some rain footage on a dirt bike . The sound selector is huge for me as I hate videos with loud buffeting and I don't edit in music...
the X170 and Gopro are similar price range, the original GoPro is now around $160 the X170 around $190

im not the only person to have commented that the X170 seems to give sharper better quality pictures. the Youtube sample I posted a link to came from a guy who had the camera for no more than 2, possibly 3 days.. hes a retail customer like you, and possibly like me

so at present for me it looks like the choice is the Gopro or the X170 or possibly one of the 'bullet" cameras with remote DVR. although those all seem to be lower resolution.
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/mini-dv...et-camera.html
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
the X170 and Gopro are similar price range, the original GoPro is now around $160 the X170 around $190

im not the only person to have commented that the X170 seems to give sharper better quality pictures. the Youtube sample I posted a link to came from a guy who had the camera for no more than 2, possibly 3 days.. hes a retail customer like you, and possibly like me

so at present for me it looks like the choice is the Gopro or the X170 or possibly one of the 'bullet" cameras with remote DVR. although those all seem to be lower resolution.
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/mini-dv...et-camera.html
If you want my opinion , go for the X170 , image quality is probably better , more importantly it records longer , also comes with all the mounts etc... like the GoPro ........ I am not a big fan of bullet cams .....I have no reason for this .......they just irk me for some reason ...........like empty handicapped parking stalls at a busy mall...........what the hell man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode