Versys Alternator Output - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By surferbum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Versys Alternator Output

I just read an older Motorcycle Consumer News spec sheet on the 2008 Versys and they listed the alternator output not much over 100 watts at 4000 rpm. Is that a typo? Higher rpm might yield more output but that sounds low. Does the Versys have enough juice to run an electric vest? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 PM

Yup, it will run the heated grips, high beam, and vest going down the road. Now, if you are sitting at a stop light or in a traffic jam, I might turn one off!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I just did a little searching around I it sounds like MCN did screw up the alternator info. Or maybe that is correct at 4000rpm, don't know but sounds like it's actual output is 336 watts at 5000rpm. Don't hold me to that but it came off ADV rider, some guy with a manual or something.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:21 PM

336 watts is correct.

It was wrong in the Kawasaki specs when it first came out. 24volts X 14 amps = 336watts.

I run Gerbing heated gloves and full jacket, along with GPS and the regular Versys demands. Coming from a KLR I was very concerned that it wouldn't have enough juice. I actually added an accurate digital volt meter. Even at 100% on the Gerbing, sitting at lights with my indicators on, you still run over 12.9volts i.e. positive charge.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog
24 volts X 14 amps = 336 watts.
24 volts? Where did that come from? My V has a 12 volt electrical system.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 PM

It's 24 amps / 14 volts @ 5000 rpm (336 watts)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 AM

Tx invader, got it backwards. Old age & too many beers!!

Machog
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 AM

So, would someone estimate the "spare" capacity; ie, how many additional watts will the charging system support and keep the battery charged up.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
So, would someone estimate the "spare" capacity; ie, how many additional watts will the charging system support and keep the battery charged up.
the major power consumption

rough estimation:
headlight 55W x2 = 110w
turn signals x4 = 40w
city lights x2 = 10w
brake light x1 = 10w
ECU x1 = 10w?
Speedo x1 = 10w
license plate light x1 = 5w

anymore?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Ignition eats a lot, can't remember how much though.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:28 PM

I installed a 200 watt amp connected to a little MP3 player on my previous 2006 EX650R. It still wasn't load enough above about 50 MPH so I installed a phono pre-amp between the MPS player and the 200 watt amplifier...NOW I had SOUND. But one problem remained...Ever time I came to stop with the engine idling at a stop with the brake on the speakers would completely cut out. I realized that the draw was just to much and not wanting to overload the system or run my battery down I junked the whole idea. The Bailey's windscreen I have on the V makes it a lot quieter ride (one of the reasons I traded) so, not being one to give up, I have just ordered a CycleSounds Series 2 Universal 2.5" Sound System and a better MP3 player that puts out 20mw to the ear phone jacks (way more I am sure than the puny cheap thing I was using before)...stay tuned...should have it up in a week or so. I wear glasses and have tried several helmet speakers over the years and they always hurt so bad that the most I could only leave them on for an hour or so.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Don't know if you saw this earlier thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
Don't know if you saw this earlier thread http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1482

An interesting post in that thread can be seen at http://www.powerletproducts.com/lear...excessCapacity
komalley likes this.

• Black Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Pants + Y/B Fieldsheer Air Tour Mesh Jacket + N/S Deluxe All Season Cover X-Large + Evolution 4 Disc Lock

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 AM

Fitting a cheap digital voltage is good indicator of the battery's health.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode