dual road Acerbis handguards hit my Givi - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
dual road Acerbis handguards hit my Givi

I have read that the DR handguards won't hit the Givi screen. According to other riders. But since mine do hit, anybody know a good fix. I don't really want to push my screen out with washers and I don't wanna cut slots in my screen. My bars are all the way back. If anyone has a better idea, please help me out. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 PM

I have the same issue with the Buel handguards hitting my Givi windscreen.

My temporary solution was to remove the handguards, and install Warm N Safe grip heaters. I did this last August. On hot afternoons - I can get airflow to my gloves/hands and up my sleeves into my jacket - to stay cool. When it gets cold, I put on medium weight gloves and crank up the heated grips. This is good down to about 42 degrees or so, for me. I have bad circulation in my hands and feet.

Also the Givi, when set in the middle position, and with spacers under the bottom bolts will deflect some of the windblast off my hands.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 PM

You can install a Madstad bracket. It worked with my Acerbis Multiconcept Touring handguards.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:39 AM

They hit the Givi screen but they are so flexible that it shouldn't cause a problem. Mine hit the Givi screen and the only problem that it has ever caused is a rattle if the bike is on the side stand idling with the guard making contact with the screen. That was only a problem because it took me a minute to figure out what the rattle was from. The contact doesn't hinder locking the front forks.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 11:03 AM

Hello !
I have large GIVI and DR h.g.. I put two gummi washers ( 1 cm. thick ) to fix buffeting on the upper GIVI holes ( WS in in the lower pos.).
When I put DR handg. on, with appropriate hardware ( you must take off original counterweights ) in the last months supplied from Acerbis, still some touching remains, that I reduced to a minimum by latching with small black plastic ties ( used for electric cables fixing ) the h.g. to levers attaks on the bar.
Just my two €cents.
Regards
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I have read that the DR handguards won't hit the Givi screen. According to other riders. But since mine do hit, anybody know a good fix. I don't really want to push my screen out with washers and I don't wanna cut slots in my screen. My bars are all the way back. If anyone has a better idea, please help me out. Thanks.

Ok. I cut my Givi. Instead of notching the windscreen, I just cut a few inches off of the bottom quarter on each side with a jig saw fit with a fine hack saw blade. Then used emory cloth to smooth and round things off. It looks stock and the DG Acerbis don't hit anymore.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:16 AM

Has anyone seen this problem with Barkbuster hand guards and the Givi screen? I'm looking into adding both to my bike. Thanks!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Ok. I cut my Givi. Instead of notching the windscreen, I just cut a few inches off of the bottom quarter on each side with a jig saw fit with a fine hack saw blade. Then used emory cloth to smooth and round things off. It looks stock and the DG Acerbis don't hit anymore.
Can you post a picture of your modified windshield?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:53 AM

I wouldn't bother cutting anything. They don't hinder anything and they only touch in a full lock, but it doesn't take any noticable extra force to lock the bars. They handguards are very flexible at the ends, but provide good protection in a fall.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...8&postcount=91

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 11-30-2009 at 11:01 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman View Post
Has anyone seen this problem with Barkbuster hand guards and the Givi screen? I'm looking into adding both to my bike. Thanks!
I have done this, and modification is necessary if you want full lock without touching;

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5250
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 01:17 PM

I have been in touch with Kawasaki UK and we should be able to get the hand guard that is standard on the 2010 Versys but not till early 2010. It will be interesting to see if Kawasaki have engineered it themselves or adopted one of the aftermarket products that are out there. If I can stand the wait I will hold fire till I get site of the Kwak offering. A trip to the showroom is needed.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariwerf View Post
I have been in touch with Kawasaki UK and we should be able to get the hand guard that is standard on the 2010 Versys but not till early 2010. It will be interesting to see if Kawasaki have engineered it themselves or adopted one of the aftermarket products that are out there. If I can stand the wait I will hold fire till I get site of the Kwak offering. A trip to the showroom is needed.
I was just looking at the UK site and didn't see any handguard. Do you by chance have a part number? If there as a srock handguard coming, I am interested!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Yes I'll do it if nobody gives me grief about my dirty bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Can you post a picture of your modified windshield?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Kwak UK seem to be on standby and not saying anything except watch this space. I hope to get more from my dealer but dont hold your breath.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Sorry my pics took so long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00054-20091212-1833.jpg (706.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00048-20091212-1828.jpg (604.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00050-20091212-1829.jpg (620.1 KB, 138 views)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

While I was in My Pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00029-20091113-1916.jpg (643.2 KB, 131 views)
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Hi Drake,

Pushing the screen out using washers and using a longer bolt could help.
It's only hits if it's at the full lock which I hardly do.
Using Zeta guards and didn't cut the Givi.
Had fixed the stock screen in between the Givi and it doesn't touch.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode