Motowerk Anti-Vibe Riser - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motowerk Anti-Vibe Riser

Just put one of these on and thought I would do a super mini review.

I have several Motowerk products installed and they are all of highest quality. This piece is really no exception. I bought the anodized black version if you were wondering.

I would put the vibration reduction at somewhere around 30%. I do have stock mirrors on some motowerk extenders and I can at least now get a picture of what is going on behind me instead of the blurry jumble I was getting before.

In actuality, the best feature is just the "riser". It really is a small adjustment towards the rider but I am finding it takes a good riding position and makes it immediately great in my opinion. The bike just feels better overall, especially on corners.

If you really aren't all that bothered with your mirror picture I would spend less money and just buy the riser he offers. Hope this helps someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 11:29 PM

Garage
Thanks for the review. Very helpful.

Can I just ask which version of the Versys you have.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I wish somebody made one at the stock height. I don't want friggin ape hangers, the stock height is fine. I added a Seat Concepts and just slightly tipped the bar back a bit: perfect.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieglitter View Post
thanks for the review. Very helpful.

Can i just ask which version of the versys you have.
2014 650
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I wish somebody made one at the stock height. I don't want friggin ape hangers, the stock height is fine. I added a Seat Concepts and just slightly tipped the bar back a bit: perfect.
I'd personally like one thats about a half-inch SHORTER. Lookin' for a hair more forward lean. Might start experimenting with bars, if I could figure out which one to try. Can get expensive when you don't get it right the first time. </threadjack>

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
I'd personally like one thats about a half-inch SHORTER. Lookin' for a hair more forward lean. Might start experimenting with bars, if I could figure out which one to try. Can get expensive when you don't get it right the first time. </threadjack>
Me too! Speedy- You seeing this? I loved the effect of the anti-vibe riser, but the height change ruined the seating position for me. I bet a lot of people would be interested in a non-riser version just to reduce vibes!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
lol, it only pushes it back towards you a little over an inch.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKyle View Post
lol, it only pushes it back towards you a little over an inch.
Only an inch eh? An inch higher and back is a lot, and it's too much for me. I sometimes wish I had a lower bar. I could use the anti-vibe if I changed to a lower handlebar, but that is too spendy for me. I'm frugal, not cheap, just don't have much disposable cash.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM

I'm going to plagiarize myself and copy what I wrote on Speedy's site. "I bought a 25mm Handlebar Riser prior to my first long trip last summer with the idea of trying it out. It worked great for a solo ride from Seattle to Denver and back. Later in the summer, on another trip w/others I found I was more tense & it changed the pressure on my arms & I was less comfortable. I made several adjustment to the bars on the ride with no benefit.

When I returned, I called MotoWerk to ask the possibility of getting a riser of a lesser thickness, or having my riser cut down. We discussed these changes and I placed an order for a new riser with a 17mm thickness. I kept the original one to take along on the next ride in case I needed to make a change on the road or to have it to cut down to a smaller size if necessary.

New riser ordered, and received in record time. It was installed and used on my last long ride of the summer with great results. Speedy is a great guy, Motowerk is a great business, providing excellent products for our m/c?s. - Frog, Seattle"

Reason for posting this here is to show how well Speedy works with the customer. He readily offered to manufacture a thinner riser and was quite helpful in the discussion on my reasons for the change. I don't know just what a minimum thickness would be, but by all means give him an email or a call and ask a question. I'm sure, if he can help, he would be glad to.

Frog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Chiriqui, Veraguas, Herrera, Los Santos, Cocle, Colon, and Panama provinces of Panama)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 07:29 PM
djg

May I suggest Rox brand? They can rotate significantly allowing different bar positions, and can be solid or rubber. I have a pair of rubber ones, I like them. Very well made.

For those not happy with Speedy's. I have Speedy's peg lowering kit and mirror extenders. Top quality, great service.

http://www.revzilla.com/rox-risers

Last edited by djg; 07-16-2014 at 07:32 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
May I suggest Rox brand? They can rotate significantly allowing different bar positions, and can be solid or rubber. I have a pair of rubber ones, I like them. Very well made.

For those not happy with Speedy's. I have Speedy's peg lowering kit and mirror extenders. Top quality, great service.

http://www.revzilla.com/rox-risers
I have BOTH 2" Rox risers, and I really don't see any difference, vibration-wise (NOT much vibes!). And I TOO have the other stuff from Speedy, like djg.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 07:49 AM

Garage
I was thinking (always dangerous) about the vibes from parallel twins, and have wondered why manufacturers haven't taken a similar approach to the old Norton firm. By the time the 750 cc Atlas was developed vibrations had reached an intolerable level (no counterbalance shaft). For the Commando, which had the same engine with more HP, their solution was Isolastic engine mounts. At idle the bike would shake like a paint mixer but once underway it was very smooth. My first Commando was the notorious '72 Combat and it was very good (until they grenaded from bad mainshaft bearings). I put aftermarket adjustable vernier isolastic mounts on it to cure the slight handling woes that developed from the stock mounts, that tended to wear out. The vintage race guys still use them- Herb Becker, the best tuner out there, uses them with only one thou' of clearance, and his bikes are winners.
I experimented a bit and found that if I took off the top head steady mount the bike shook so bad it was almost unrideable.
I wonder if the parallel twin manufacturers have experimented with a similar system? I know the Mk2 V's have a rubber rear mount but by most accounts they are no smoother. Has anybody here had both Mk1 and Mk2. and do you feel that the difference is significant?

Any opinions on the isolastic approach?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I think that the 'modern' solution - balance shafts - probably gives better results. I know that my Vs do NOT vibrate nearly as much as my old Triumphs did....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I think that the 'modern' solution - balance shafts - probably gives better results. I know that my Vs do NOT vibrate nearly as much as my old Triumphs did....
I agree, but the vibration is still worse than what it could be.
Recently my left mirror, an Aprilia that replaced the OEM that vibrated to death, almost fell out. I had to tape it to get home or I would have lost the glass.

I fixed it by running a bead of silicone around the edge and into the small gap. It now is smoother than the right mirror, which I might give the same treatment too. Regardless, I find that unacceptable. I know that parallel twins are shakers, even with balance shafts, but other manufacturers' are smoother than the V.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 09:21 AM
djg

My recently departed '93 TDM850 was noticeably smoother and more refined feeling than my Versys. 850 vertical twin with balance shaft. The bars and pegs on the TDM are both rubber mounted stock. A bike that never caught on in US.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 02:31 PM

I too just installed the Motowerk Anti-vibe Riser on my 2012 Versys and quite happy with it. Last year I had my seat customized by Baldwin Saddles where Baldwin actually sits you further back than the stock Versys seat. Going back an inch or so with the riser makes for a much more comfortable sitting position.

I also have Motowerk's mirror extenders installed where I can now see whats in the mirrors. Just heading out to the garage to install my just arrived front foot peg lowering blocks from Motowerks As usual Motowerks produces a quality product and fast shipping.

As a side note I also installed Grip Buddies, cost $25 which also absorbs some vibration. Huge difference in the feel and handling. Hard to quantify the remaining vibration in % but would guess less than 10% now.

Here's the website for Grip Buddies
http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

Last edited by tmclean; 07-20-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 PM

My 08 with 40,000 miles is MUCH smoother than the 2013 I just bought. I'm sure once I get some more miles on the 2013 it will smooth out some. It is literally like riding 2 different bikes. I do have the anti-vibe on my 08. Both have 43 rear sprocket.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
DJG, which ROX did you put on your V. After just completing my first 500 mile two day trip, I would like to try some anti vibe risers. With my size (5 - 10) and 32in. inseam on the stock seat, i could have room for an inch or two higher on the bars and bring it back an inch for a natural position without any lean.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode