The many strengths - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The many strengths

The Versys, imo, has lived up to the hype of being a jack of all trades bike. One of the strengths of the V is it can get around in city traffic with ease than do some canyon carving on the weekend without skipping a beat.

Though some say the V is not so pretty, I think she's my Mary-Ann and they just like Ginger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 PM

Tis a nice ride indeed King! When I saw this unusual / attractive looking bike at Costco it stopped me in my tracks and I knew right then I had to have it. My wife knows that look and she told the checker at the door. "He's going to buy that bike". Before I got it, never looked at one review, no test ride - bought this baby on the looks alone. When I got it home and had some time to run some searches, I was so happy to find all the good press on it. After riding it for a month or so I was ecstatic on the versatility and performance of this Kawasaki. The price point, cost of ownership and availability of accessories was icing on the cake. It's been over a year and I'm still super happy to be a Versys owner. One of the best things I ever bought!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM

If something kept me from buying a Versys for a long time it was the looks, I think the headlight is ugly as sin, the rest of the bike is purdy.

But to me it is the perfect do it all bike. Before the Versys I had a motard for the city, a SV1000 for spirited weekend rides and trackdays and a XJR1300 for touring. I still have the XJR1300, but it is now a garage queen, the SV1000 is gone and got a GSX-R 600 for the track and the Versys handles touring, commuting and weekend rides. Only every now and then, when I'm riding with sportbikes only, I'll take the GSX-R on a weekend ride.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
FIRST Vs I saw were '07s. The rear shock seemed kind of weird to me. Every time I'd go to the Kawi shop I'd have another look, and it started to "grow" on me (had an '04 KLR and an '03 Bandit 1200S then).

The salesman who sold me the KLR said "Here's the keys - take it out and give it a 'thrashing'....", so I did. Probably about 40 minutes, up to the "ton", some twisties. NOW it was REALLY "growing" on me, and Motorcyclist had JUST declared it the '08 MOTY, so I ordered on '08 to pick-up when I got down to AZ that September. And LOVED it!

The next season I started to think about picking up a used one for Canada. Returned there in April '10 and sold the B1200. Got back to AZ in October, and started REALLY looking at the used Vs, when I found the GREEN HORNET (new left-over '09) sitting all lonely in Casa Grande, 'calling' to me.

Bought it in November, then imported it to Canada in April. Sold the KLR almost immediately to a guy from Newfoundland (from Alberta - go figure...!).

I BELIEVE I have the best bikes there are, in BC and in AZ!

- -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 10:54 PM

Naw...it is a sorta' slow bike...really. #TrueStoryKinda #Illtakeyouto120+ #thataintmuch #Whatever

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Though some say the V is not so pretty, I think she's my Mary-Ann and they just like Ginger.
I'd make the comparison to Minnie Driver. Not exactly conventionally pretty, but reasonably attractive all told.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 05:14 AM

Mine is still hands down my favorite bike of all time.............
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 AM

I always liked Mary-Anne, Ginger was too high maintenance.

This bike was bought on looks alone. It was before I read anything about it. It has done everything, mountain roads, dirt & gravel roads, city commuter, long distance traveler (AL to CT), stop light racer ( I was quicker than a BM'r), grocery store hauler.

It easy is to work on and get parts for. What else could you need? After 94K miles now it just keeps on chugging. Piston rings may be next on the replacement list.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 07:34 AM

Garage
I love the looks as well, I am a huge fan of the front stacked headlights, and how narrow and compact the bike is. I love how the exhaust is tucked underneath so my SW-Motech Trax boxes are symmetrical. I really don’t like bikes with large exhausts on one side, having to adjust with different sized boxes.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM

What's not to like? It's relatively light, has decent power, is comfortable, and seems to do just about everything you would ever want a bike to do.

The handling is pretty good in the canyons and it's great when riding in CA where you can split lanes. I find it to be an easy and fun bike to ride. it really is a a great all-around bike.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 03:44 PM

+1 on easy to ride. Maybe not the fastest, with the most power, or even many features stock- but you can really get down and just ride. It's very forgiving. Maintenance has been a dream.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
+1 on easy to ride. Maybe not the fastest, with the most power, or even many features stock- but you can really get down and just ride. It's very forgiving. Maintenance has been a dream.
Nailed it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Since 2009
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 08:06 AM

After owning a BMW K1100 I appreciate the fact that parts are relatively cheap and easy to find, and how it does not smoke when you start it after setting on its side stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode