Thinking about buying a Versys - what do you like/dislike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Thinking about buying a Versys - what do you like/dislike?

Newbie here - thinking about plonking down some cash for a new '09 V. What do you all love, like, dislike, and hate about your bikes?

I'm coming off a BMW 1200GS and going with two bikes - a Versys and a KTM 640 Adventure. I'm looking for a fun tarmac bike for occasional lite touring (a week max), a good lane splitter for a short but congested commute, very occasional well maintained fire roads, but mostly fun and spiritied one day canyon carves.

Let the opinions fly - I can take it! Thanks in advance for the wisdom and slightly biased opinions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 AM

get the Versys..sold my 1150rt to get it...love it...downsides..the seat..needs a rework, some guys are buying corbins and such but the stock seat is easily reworked ( i posted pics awhile back on changes to the bike i made) little buzzing in the dash plastic but easily fixed....bike will easily do long touring and makes a good canyon carver to..good buy
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSThor View Post
- a Versys and a KTM 640 Adventure. I'm looking for a fun tarmac bike for occasional lite touring (a week max), a good lane splitter for a short but congested commute, very occasional well maintained fire roads, but mostly fun and spiritied one day canyon carves.
Definitely the Versys. A KTM 640 vibrates like hell, lacks the Versys' top end power, is better off road and harder on gas...

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 PM

I had to change the seat, I went with a corbin. I love it. under 400 LBS to tour and carve, also rides very well weighted down saddlebags and trunk. Good luck I have no regrets coming from a roadking and nighttrain
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 PM

Here is my evaluation after 8000 miles. Bought mine used in April '09.

Likes: Performance for a 650 is excellent. Handling is also excellent, even better with Pirelli's. MPG is great (48-52). Good power to weight ratio. Love the sit-up cockpit.

Dislikes: SEAT!

Changes: Raised Handlebars, lowered foot pegs, installed lowering kit, Larger windshield, Corbin Seat, driving lights, Pirelli Stradas, Grip Puppies. Rear Hugger

I bought my 2008 with 800 miles and saved over $1000 from dealer price. There are some excellent prices out there on 2008 and 2009 low mileage used models.

Last edited by LoneRanger; 11-24-2009 at 01:18 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Likes;

- price
- motor has nice power for its size with the torque peak at a nice low rpm for normal riding
- runs on reg fuel and gets decent mileage
- light and spirited handling
- decent light tourer with luggage support and factory (sorta) luggage
- easy maintenance compared to most bikes
- good longevity from all reports
- nice, different euro look

Dislikes;
- a little tall sometimes (not a huge deal to me as my dirtbike has a 38" seat height)
- the same characteristics that make it a perfect around town/commuter bike with good handling make it a little "small" on the highway esp. the short wheelbase
- vibes are noticeable
- seat is iffy
- mirrors suck (unless you like staring at your elbows)

All in all a pretty good bike and arguably the best for many people depending on useage. Most of the complaints are minor and don't take much to "fix".

If you want an inexpensive, fuel efficient, decent handling bike for commuting and light touring, it's great.

2 pennies,
Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:27 PM

I like the light weight, great handling, low price, and the visibility you have in traffic from sitting up high (you'll understand from riding the GS).

The downs mentioned previously are easy fixes.

This is a great all-around bike
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:56 PM

I dislike people who don't have a Versys.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 PM

Hey Shatrat I think your reply spells it out the best
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:48 PM

The Versys is a great bike, agile but capable of long distances with a better seat, handguards, a taller windscreen, a bar-end throttle lock and/or Crampbuster, foam covers for the handgrips....
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 PM

...or without.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 PM

Seat SUCKS! Mirrors SUCK! Windshield SUCKS! But the rest of a Versys is a real nice bike. The best I have ever owned. If I had to give up all my bikes but one: If it was good times, I would keep my Versys. If it were bad times, I would keep my KLR 650 and cry over my Versys.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 PM

If you hurry up and make up your mind you can still get an '09 in green. Drag your feet and you may get stuck with the 2010 thing.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all - to be clear - I plan to buy a Versys AND a KTM 640 Adventure for dirt adventure touring (think 90% dirt, desert, sand, rocks, etc....). I was thinking BMW 800GS but I can bet both these bikes for about the same price and don't have to compromise on the dirt or the street - just pick the bike that suits the ride.

I'll be getting one soon - I'd like to buy a used '09 but I can't find any - I guess that means folks like 'em, nobody is selling!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSThor View Post
I'd like to buy a used '09 but I can't find any - I guess that means folks like 'em, nobody is selling!
Have a look at our own "For sale" pages
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...splay.php?f=23

Welcome aboard

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:54 AM

Garage
Theres not much to complain about

[QUOTE=GSThor;60089]Newbie here - thinking about plonking down some cash for a new '09 V. What do you all love, like, dislike, and hate about your bikes? QUOTE]

Hi there was a similar thread about a year ago http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2013 The fact that there was so little to complain about was one of the reasons I bought mine. It already had the genuine gel seat so I have never suffered the standard seat.

There is also a new thread started only yesterday http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=6115 that asks a similar question from a different angle.

PS where are you located?

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
FJS

GS Thor, I think that you basically answered your own question when you said you wanted to get both the Versys and the 640 katoom. You seem to know exactly what you want and that is good.

Comming off the GS, the V will be great for what you want to do, just a few fixes on minor details as people have stated above and you're done, after all, you should be familiar with the farkeling

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 PM

GSThor

For what you plan it to be:
Like: every time you will ride it for that purpose your smile will get wider and wider. Not too many bikes can do it.
Dislike: After it will get too wide you will have to pay for a cosmetic surgery to get back to normal. Not too many doctors can do it.
Only for long highway trips (more than several hours) you will ask if you can get a longer wheellbase.

I am looking for a good doctor already. Have Fun
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I'm buying one

Thanks all - I've decided to buy and committed to one I found on this forum here for sale. I'm in Northern California. I found an immaculate blue '09 with only 1000 miles with a few extras (rear wheel stand, engine guards, after market touring windscreen, low seat - which I'll sell) for $5K.

I'll be picking it up this weekend - then the smiles can begin.

Here is the bike:

Last edited by GSThor; 11-25-2009 at 03:27 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:47 PM

Dibs on the seat if the price is right. PM sent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode