East Coast Rally - Kawasaki Versys Forum
View Poll Results: Ok East Coasters, where should we meet??
Telico Plains area 7 17.07%
Robbins NC 5 12.20%
Lewisburg WV 12 29.27%
Maggie Vally 6 14.63%
Boone NC area 8 19.51%
Somewhere else (see my post) 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
East Coast Rally

Ok I will start the thread but I have no Qualifications that would even suggest that I am the one or even in a position to organize such an event

that being said What we should decide first

1) If we Will do it and When?

2) Where

3) who can or is in a position to organize what parts.

This event can be as simple as a a date and a place and lets go ride or more elaborate with organized dinners and such?

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

In responce to my own post (not really talking to myself am I)

Ok As for when someone said Easter but what about maybe later in april say based around Later in april Say around the weekend of April 23, thru April 25th

I would think this is an off peak season with little impact from touristy and school vacation impact. Now I could be wrong not sure about spring breaks and stuff but seems like this might be a good time Weather may have an impact? cold? rain? would another time of year be better?

as for location .... again stolen from someone else suggestion of Telico Plains

2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:38 PM

I'm down for anywhere in the Appalachians or Ozarks.

Barring weddings and funerals I will take vacation and show up and ruin the party.

For timing, the 23rd is about the earliest I'd want to deal with.
I'd like the low temperature to be 50+ so that I don't have to bundle up too much in order to survive A.M. riding.

As for organization, I'd prefer as little of that as possible.

Id rather not have 'events' and crap. I'd just like to rendezvous with some other Versys, check out some mods, and then ride the wheels off of them.

I'm sure everyone here is old enough to be able to figure out lodging and meals on their own.
I'm allergic to schedules anyway.

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 PM

That's a nice area down there. Maybe someone familiar with the place could get some info on motels. The one on the Dragon may be booked up already. Those tourist towns with Dollywood and such look like a nightmare. Keep in mind the people from the north have snow to deal with. Keeping it simple is OK with me, good riding and a place to crack a couple of beers when the day is done.
post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
That's a nice area down there. Maybe someone familiar with the place could get some info on motels. The one on the Dragon may be booked up already. Those tourist towns with Dollywood and such look like a nightmare. Keep in mind the people from the north have snow to deal with. Keeping it simple is OK with me, good riding and a place to crack a couple of beers when the day is done.
I am all for simple

I am not THAT familiar with the area never stayed over night around there most of my experience in the area is from day trips on other vacations and never on a MC, usually the Jeep thing is how I was in the area. I have done the Dragon a couple of times in a S2000 again never on a MC.

as far as lodging I prefer camping but dread hauling all the gear for that on a MC so some kind of hybrid camping cabin looks good to me. I will probably extend my stay to a longer weekend maybe tack 2 days on the front or back.

2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 AM

I will get some info on Tellico Plains together. There are several Motorcycle resorts and I know some cabins (with bathrooms). We had about a dozen Vs meet up there earlier this year and it was great fun.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...54&postcount=1

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sharrison56; 11-24-2009 at 07:52 AM.
post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 AM

Down there you can stay at the Microtel Inn in Robbinsville, just a few miles from the Dragon and many many good roads, there is also TWO resort with camping and rooms, you can head into Helen and stay at a variety of places and ride the North Georgia Mountains, Wolf Pen gap, and my favorite Route 19. There are tons of places, most are MC freindly.
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Tellico Plains Accommodations

Motorcycle Campgrounds
http://www.huntslodge.com/
http://www.cycleresort.com/
http://www.hogheavenresort.com/
http://www.caneycreekvillage.com/default.htm

Cabins
http://tellicologcabins.com/
http://www.skyviewcabinrentals.com/
http://www.lodgeattellico.com/rates.htm

B&B
http://tellicosunflowerinn.com/

I have stayed at the Telico Log Cabins and they were as good as we expected them to be. The rooms were clean, but othing fancy and the parking area is paved.

Most of our group stayed at the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort. It is very well maintained. The only thing you need to be aware of is that they generally have a two night minimum for the cabins on the weekends.

We went in mid June last year and the weather was awesome. I was up there in mid May and it rained on us Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

The thing about rain up there is that it might be gorgeous on one side of the mountain and crappy on the other.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM

I'm pretty familier with the Deals Gap/Robbinsville area. We usually stay in Robbinsville at the Microtel....very clean great place. Also there is the San Ran, and the Phillips Motel in Robbinsville and as someone said the TWI.

Robbinsville is a great place to base out of because it's the center of a lot of great rides. Also close to Cherokee, and the sout end of the parkway. And Maggie Valley.

I've been to the gap in late April....almost a perfect time to go there. It was a little cool here in Ohio when we left, but perfect upper 60's low 70's in Robbinsville. April is too early for the cruiser people who usually ride in t shirts, and tennis shoes, but by late May, it's a mess....

Also the gap is pretty much in the center of the north/south...

But Lewisburg WVA.area Also has some of the best roads in the country, without all the "hupla" of Deals Gap, but again the gap in late April is perfect IMO......
post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM

Robbinsville works for me...I am just more familiar with Tellico.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:09 PM

The Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge is another excellent place to stay. You can tent camp or stay in cabins. Breakfast and dinner is available and the food is great. There's always a big campfire at night.
post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM

So far these are all good options. Would Iron Horse be easier/quicker for our NE brothers to get to? For most of us in the SE it is within 4 hours.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:34 PM

I'd like to make this trip but not sure if I'll be able to. The east coast meet looks to be easier to pull off for me than the west coast meet.

I've been to Deals Gap/Cherohala skyway twice. It's good fun, as long as you avoid the crowds. We stayed in Pigeon Forge one time (don't recommend that -- it's way too touristy.) The Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge sounds good to me.

Is this strictly a Versys meet or are other bikes allowed? In particular I'm thinking my brother just might want to come. He'll ride either a Multistrada or V-Strom (the enemy! ).

I like the idea of just meeting and riding. Not too big on events, but a campfire meeting at the end of the day would be fun for swapping stories.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM

Last year the wife (Ning) and I went to the Indianapolis MotoGP and from there to the Gatlinburg, TN area. It was sure dryer than the year before! We had a great time, rode about 2500 miles in 9 days. We stayed for 2 nights at the Family Inn in Townsend, cheap (39.95 if I recall correctly) and the people were nice and friendly. I have certainly stayed at better places but it was more than adequate and great at the price. So this motel/place/area gets my vote. Name the date and you have 2 confirmed attendees. It just doesn’t get any better than this anyplace in the US. Colorado is ok (in the summer only), but I much prefer the Blue Ridge due to its prolific roads, streams, and tree covered mountains. In the Appalachian Mountains the roads wind all over the place, you can ride all day on different great roads without every venturing more than 30 miles from your starting point. In a lot of Colorado the mountains are devote of trees and I get tired of just looking at rocks. (Sorry if I have offended anyone, please remember this is just my personnel opinion and you are welcome to extort the virtues of Colorado if you like.) This entire area has not only great sire seeing but also plenty of cheap motels and motorcycle campgrounds. As far as organization is concerned, I think about all we need is to take a poll on dates, place and then let nature take its course.
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post
Is this strictly a Versys meet or are other bikes allowed? In particular I'm thinking my brother just might want to come. He'll ride either a Multistrada or V-Strom (the enemy! ).
I think there are enough people on here that do and have owned other bikes that it really wouldn't matter what they were riding. The point is to get as many Vs together as possible, not to exclude anyone.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Townsend is a nice area. We have a group from another forum that meets in Townsend at Dock's twice a year. All cabins or rooms. They have a ramp for getting bikes off of pickups. The owners ride and are great people. It is only about 10 minutes from the Foothills Parkway and not far from Cade's Cove. There are several other motels within spitting distance of each other...I don't know about camping in the area and they roll up the sidewalks around 9:00.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post
I'd like to make this trip but not sure if I'll be able to. The east coast meet looks to be easier to pull off for me than the west coast meet.

I've been to Deals Gap/Cherohala skyway twice. It's good fun, as long as you avoid the crowds. We stayed in Pigeon Forge one time (don't recommend that -- it's way too touristy.) The Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge sounds good to me.

I like the idea of just meeting and riding. Not too big on events, but a campfire meeting at the end of the day would be fun for swapping stories.
I don't think it has to be a "Versys only" meet...and i'm with ya on Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg area..WAY to "touristy" for me also...can't beat Robbinsville IMO !!!
post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
The Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge is another excellent place to stay. You can tent camp or stay in cabins. Breakfast and dinner is available and the food is great. There's always a big campfire at night.
You just had to throw that "campfire" thing in didn't you..
post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

I agree doesn't have to be V exclusive event

The first thing I think we should decide is where then when respectively

My vote for where is (after seeing all the great locations)

http://www.caneycreekvillage.com/default.htm

really we just need to agree on a location that we can try to focus on staying at and for end of day socialization

this place seems to have a little bit of option for everyone, camping, full cabins and mini cabins... best of all prices look decent

Over all this area offers a good opportunity for fair number of people to attend

2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
You just had to throw that "campfire" thing in didn't you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode