How many miles on your V? What did it take to get there? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How many miles on your V? What did it take to get there?

Maybe list complaints OTHER THAN buzzing fairing, seat and bad mirrors. Kinda like the miles and maintenance done to get there. This will give everybody an insight to what is going to happen to our machines as we go......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

A little over 9k, no major maintenance other than regular oil changes. I did adjust my throttle cable & idle early on. Tires @ around 6k. I think that's about it.

It's been a great bike so far...

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:02 PM

9500+ miles, 5 oil changes, adjusted the chain slack twice, lube the chain about every 500 miles, and check nuts and bolts. new tires coming in the spring and will probably switch to a 16t front sprocket at the same time, along with new plugs and service the air filter.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 PM

22k miles, no complaints love the bike. 16tooth sprocket (still have original chain) lube it about every 300 miles. Comfortable, fast enough for me.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:16 PM

Right around 19k miles, no issues as of yet. Have kept up on the regular maintenance... have gone through one set of sprockets, and am now on a new chain as well.
when are we supposed to get the valves etc checked?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
10,000 miles. Original tires (a new rear RoadSmart is standing-by in my shop) and chain (WD40 and NO adjustments yet). Still getting between 55 and 61 MPG. LOVE IT!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 PM

I've got just over 30,000 miles on my Versys, it is running strong but have had a couple of mechanical issues. The cooling fan and alternator both failed after the moto was out of warranty. I've replaced the chain, sprockets and brakes.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM

18,000 miles, 19 months. Replaced oil, filters and spark plugs, OEM tires cupped at 9k, replaced with a set of Z6s, rear lasted 8500k, front still going strong...
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Just under 21k with routine oil changes, cable adjustment, chain adjustment, tire changes and a definitely unneccessary sparkplug change at the recommended mileage! Superb bike in my book.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 AM

22k miles in 18 months. ( only put 1400 miles on my car in the last 18 months)

600 mile service: did myself
7,500 mile service, tires: dealer did it
13,000 tires
14,800 clutch cable and 15,000 mile service: dealer did it
18,000 new chain

Only issue I had: Clutch cable snapped on highway so I replaced that (covered under warranty).
(and of course I wedged some felt in the fairing to stop the buzzing/vibrating).

Loving the Versys. My first bike. My coldest day: 17F and snowing on my 17 mile commute to work!

David

_____
Little Rock, AR (previously Raleigh, NC; Morehead City, NC; and Virginia Beach, VA)

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Bought in May 2008 and have 58,000 miles on it as of July 2014
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 AM

About 15K

Absolutely no problems so far, other than just routine maintenance. I got the bike in February. The rear tire was gone at 2,600 miles and the front was slick by 4,000. Replaced them with Avon Distanzias and got about 5,000 out of the rear (I ride a lot of dirt roads.) I replaced the rear Distanzia with a Metzler and it looks like it's going to give some really good mileage. I replaced the front Distanzia a couple of weeks ago with about 10K of wear on it. It hadn't gotten down to the wear bars yet, but I'm doing a long trip south towards the islands of coastal Georgia and Florida this week and didn't want to have to worry about the tire along the way.
I really don't have any complaints about the bike - it's been an amazing ride. The fairing buzzes a bit, but not enough to be a bother. I'll fix it at some point, but it's not a priority. The stock seat sucked, but fixing it was quick and easy - rides great now. Checked the sprockets while changing the oil a couple of weeks ago and don't see any noticeable wear yet (a lot of thanks to the excellent DuPont Teflon lube and the folks that suggested it!)
No crashes yet (knock on wood!) but I did drop it a couple of times - once against the dryer in the basement garage when I tripped over a jug of bleach while rolling the bike in without turning the lights on, and again, in of all places, the parking lot at the Dragon. When I did that one (in front of about 100 Harley riders) I was talking to some other riders and stalled the bike when I put it in gear. Phfluuuummmmp! Damn! At least it was easy to pick it up and beat a quick exit.
All in all, I couldn't be happier with my choice. I started riding back in the 60s when riding meant spending an awful lot of time pounding the kick starter of a cantankerous BSA and sitting by the side of the road trying to figure out what vibrated off right just before the bike died.
I've added panniers, crash bars, bash plate, fender extender and VStrom hand guards, and plan to add a Cee Bailey windscreen and accessory plug sometime in the next couple of weeks. This site has been worth its weight in gold, providing valuable info on every question that I've had about the bike.
If I could pick up another bike today, chances are it would be another Vee.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM

8800 miles in 8 months. New tires, Adjusted clutch cable, fixed cowling buzz, added 16t Front Sprocket, Lowering kit, Mirror extenders, Lowered Footpegs, raised handlebars, Corbin seat. Put 3000 miles on it in 8.5 days on a trip during the summer. Loved it all the way!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Great response... looks like so far the main thing has been clutch cables giving way. Thats the kind of thing I was looking for. I look forward to everyones reply on their current mileage and repairs * other than seat, fairing buzz, mirrors* to get there. Looks like 30k is the highest mileage so far.........
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Hey Vee thats gotta be the ABSOLUTE worst place to drop your motorcycle. I feel for ya man- and sure glad it wasn't me!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 PM

Sadly only about 3500 miles. My commute involves about 60 miles of 80 mph stuff and the buzzing grips and buzzing dash kills it for me. Its to easy to jump on my perfectly smooth running ST1300 for the commute than fuss with the Versys. I plan to rip the fairing on the V back apart this weekend to see if I can fix the buzz, if not I might just sell this bike as its not getting ridden enough. If it were not for the vibes and buzz I am sure the 15k I put on my ST would be on the Vs clock.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Only 2700 miles but not one single problem. Ride it hard and is a really fun bike in the curves. Fairing doesn't seem to buzz or i just can't hear it with earplugs and full face helmet. Always a smile when i come back. I am an older seasoned rider so some minor things don't seem to bother me much anyway. Is a great bike for me and for the first time i don't want to trade for something new.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 PM

Just under 18k miles. Only routine oil/filter changes, chain adjustment/cleaning/greasing, tire change and I have not yet replaced spark plug (but I will do soon...)
Don't forget sometime a kiss and a caress

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

Last edited by duffyduck1; 11-26-2009 at 08:42 AM.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Duffy, unless your V is running rough, don't bother changing the plugs. I did mine at about 19k, complete waste of time they were perfect. Check with others, but most have found the same.

Machog
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 PM

I have 871 miles and have done first oil change,Also replaced clutch & brake lever after a tip over . Still need to install motech crash bars
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 PM

I bought bike used this past June with 2500 miles on the clock. Today, the clock reads a little over 7500 miles and this bike just seems to run better every day. 2 oil changes (Amsoil 10W-40) and a new set of tires (Pirelli Diablo Strada), gas, and GO! It is my daily driver to work, @ 65 mile round trip, if I go the short way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode