Rear rack that'll work with Givi hard bags? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear rack that'll work with Givi hard bags?

My newish bike came with Givi matched hard bags. Been looking and can't find a rear rack that says it'll work with the GIVI hard bags.

Any recommendations or can someone set me straight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 07:08 PM

If your bike has the Kawi (Motech) mounting racks for the side cases it is officially a No Go for a top Case. Kawasaki says choose one or the other. Givi sells some side and top case racks that work together. With some creativity and longer bolts the Motech AluRack can work. Be aware of the risks.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 PM

Garage
It all comes down to what side racks you have for your cases already. Hopefully they are not the OEM version. I have Givi V35's (Same as the OEM) on Givi racks, and a Givi top rack with a V46. It all fits together great.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:07 PM

I have the Motech side racks for the V35 and their top rack. They say not to but "I do-ed it anyway!" I only wanted the top box to have a place to stash my helmet after having had 2 stolen off the bikes.

OK now it's easy to understand why they don't want you to have all the boxes and rack on a 650 Versys. Look at your bike with the side cases on it and you'll see the center of the boxes are behind the rear axle. The top box it WAY behind it and if you have it all loaded up AND a passenger, again behind the rear axle, on the bike as well it's going to be a "fun" handling bike...NOT. So even though you can mount it all the legal team at Kawasaki and SW Motech don't want you to because they don't want you hurt...and after them!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
It all comes down to what side racks you have for your cases already. Hopefully they are not the OEM version. I have Givi V35's (Same as the OEM) on Givi racks, and a Givi top rack with a V46. It all fits together great.
Why do you say "hopefully they are not oem version"? And then go onto talk about how you have bags are OEM style and mount a top rack just fine? I don't understand what you are getting at with that contradictory statement.

Here are pics of the bags on my bike. If needed i can get a better pic of the mounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140704_163318.jpg (22.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg 20140704_163304.jpg (21.1 KB, 225 views)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 PM

Best (Only) solution is all Givi.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Why do you say "hopefully they are not oem version"? And then go onto talk about how you have bags are OEM style and mount a top rack just fine? I don't understand what you are getting at with that contradictory statement.

Here are pics of the bags on my bike. If needed i can get a better pic of the mounts.
Givi makes the OEM bags. They are rebranded Givi V35's. It says in my post that I have a Givi setup. Without modification the OEM setup can not do top and sides.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

By your logic or at least your writing you are saying.
1. Givi are OEM bags.
2. OEM bags are rebranded as Givi V35s.
3. You have Givi V35s and therefore they are essentially OEM bags.

4. You say you have a GIVI setup. Which implies you have V35s/OEM bags. (are you saying you having a GIVI setup, meaning just sidebags and no top rack or top case?)
5. Then you contradict and say that "without modification the OEM setup can not do top and sides."
6. Then you contradict 1-4 above in your original post where you say, "It all fits together great."

Please clarify.
Our friend here on the forum who makes these racks say and shows they will work with the Givi OEM hardbags; which as you say are the same as your V35s. Yet you say without modification the OEM hardbags cannot do top and side at the same time.

http://www.adv-gear.com/racks-luggage-systems/versys/

What's to stop me from mounting a case on this luggage rack and thus have top and side bags?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 05:40 PM
djg

Please reread posts #2 and #3. It's not the bags that cause the problem, it's the mounts that Kawasaki chose as their OEM equipment that cause a problem. If you don't know which sidebag MOUNTS you have, please remove the bags and take some clear pics of the MOUNTS without the bags obscuring them. Then people here can advise you correctly.

Givi brand side and tail bag mounts on my '09. BTW, you are not the first person to ask about this. Dozens of threads on the subject. After you get this sorted, you can move onto Monokey and Monolock tailbags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (184.9 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (161.6 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (183.0 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by djg; 07-11-2014 at 06:21 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Of course it's not the bags themselves!
I understand the bags having nothing to do with the mount of the rear rack, that's common sense.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm.. dunno where my post went, as I replied yesterday.

The factory Kawasaki Touring paniers, are made By Givi but the panier rack and rear grab handles are all one piece.

The Givi racks for the same bike are are different and you keep your grab handles. The rack connects to the bike differently at the pegs, the rear fender and also has twisted tabs to mounts under (or over) the factory grab handle mounting points.
Because of the these fancy tabs, a rear rack can still be attached to the rear sub frame.
Also of note the Givi system makes you relocate the rear turn signal - where the Kawasaki racks do not.

I have read the some one has used an angle grinder to cut off the factory grab handles from the Kawasaki rack to attach a rear rack that had integrated grab handles (don't think it was a KTMDuals rack - maybe a SW-Motech).
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 11:17 PM

Garage
Gigitt

Have to disagree a bit with your assesment

But before I explain myself, lets do a tour of the givi option for the v35

OEM, means oem givi rack from kawasaki, made by givi for kawasaki
Than, givi from givi themself

OEM, have steel integrated handle welded on the rack itself, wich prevent the use of a top case AND makes you relocate the rear flasher (my setup) no top case possible unless you fiddle with everything ( grinder, welder ...)

Givi from givi, keep the kawasaki grab handle, lets you have a top case, and I know squat about them flasher, altough I suspect that they have to be relocated also

My 2 cents

An expert on that specific field is DaveC, maybe he will chime in

Ciao

LOP
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 11:49 PM

There are a number of different combinations for pre-2010 models:

OEM
- top rack looks like a SW Motech part that replaces the handrails (integrated into the rack).
- side racks are Givi that also replace the handrails (integrated into the rack). I believe the turn signals need to be relocated, or at least it comes with the parts to move them.
- these do not work together on purpose.

Givi (Kappa)
- FZ447 (KZ447) top rack. Stock handrails are used.
- PLX447 (KLX447) side rack.Stock handrails are used. Parts are included to relocate the turn signals. There is also a small adapter that you buy to hang the racks from the bolts used for the handrails if you don't have the top rack.
- these work together fine.

Note that some people have gotten the FZ447 to fit with the OEM siderack, but it is tedious to set up. I couldn't make it work. If you want to relocate the turn signals, you will have to buy some wire to splice and extend the left rear turn signal (I think the right rear is long enough).

There are other racks from other manufacturers, but I can't recall the details on them. I'll dig out the post and link it later. What I can say is that you should not mix and match manufacturers.

The pictures provided by Michelangelo looks like it is the non-OEM Givi PLX447 racks (the racks do not replace the passenger handrails), which will work with the FZ447 Givi top rack. Since the side racks are on the bike already, the turn signals are probably already relocated (based on the first picture, it looks like it).

I have the FZ447 / PLX447 combo from Givi, and it works fine. Note that the top plate for the top rack must be purchased separately, and is not universal. You will want either the M5 (Monokey) or M5M (Monolock) plate. If your case comes with a universal plate, it will probably not mount to the FZ447.

You can visit www.givi.ca to get the parts list and confirm the above.

I have a picture of mine here somewhere...I'll update the post with it tomorrow.

(LP: appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm no expert.)

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 07-12-2014 at 12:09 AM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I have read the some one has used an angle grinder to cut off the factory grab handles from the Kawasaki rack to attach a rear rack that had integrated grab handles (don't think it was a KTMDuals rack - maybe a SW-Motech).
Someone did do this...I believe they removed the integrated handles from the side racks to make the OEM parts work together. Tell someone they can't do something, and they'll find a way...

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Gigitt

Have to disagree a bit with your assesment

But before I explain myself, lets do a tour of the givi option for the v35

OEM, means oem givi rack from kawasaki, made by givi for kawasaki
Than, givi from givi themself

OEM, have steel integrated handle welded on the rack itself, wich prevent the use of a top case AND makes you relocate the rear flasher (my setup) no top case possible unless you fiddle with everything ( grinder, welder ...)

Givi from givi, keep the kawasaki grab handle, lets you have a top case, and I know squat about them flasher, altough I suspect that they have to be relocated also

My 2 cents

An expert on that specific field is DaveC, maybe he will chime in

Ciao

LOP
Well I have pictures

Here is MY 2012 Versys Touring with Factory Kawasaki Paniers (Givi V35): My turn signals are in the original location and not relocated.

Here is a Givi racks for v35 with rear rack: notice the relocated turn signals and different mounting for the side racks.

Now these are 2010+ model Versys.

Last edited by Gigitt; 07-12-2014 at 12:12 AM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 12:12 AM

2010+ use different racks than the pre-2010 bikes. For the pre-2010's, I believe the OEM side racks come with relocation brackets for the turn signals.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
2010+ use different racks than the pre-2010 bikes. For the pre-2010's, I believe the OEM side racks come with relocation brackets for the turn signals.
True.
@Michelangelo did not mention what year model bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
My newish bike came with Givi matched hard bags. Been looking and can't find a rear rack that says it'll work with the GIVI hard bags.

Any recommendations or can someone set me straight?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:04 AM
djg

Glad we all cleared that up.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 11:01 AM

As promised:

Previous thread / posts: link

Pics of mine...the top rack is white because I added black reflective tape to it.

Left side

Rear

Right side

Closer look at handrail hanger for top rack / side rack. Some of the parts from the FZ447 replace the parts you currently have, so you may have a few left-over pieces after installation.

Closer look at common mount point for top rack / side rack

Pics of bags mounted from the rear

In case you weren't aware, the red plastic on the cases as shipped from the factory are just that...red plastic. They do not reflect light. I added white DOT-C2 reflective tape to the white paper underneath mine. This picture shows the difference it makes.

Fully loaded (I'll take a better picture later today...)

I replaced the K35 case with a K46, and added an Ad-more lighting kit. Love it.

Cheers,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 07-12-2014 at 11:08 AM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Well I have pictures

Here is MY 2012 Versys Touring with Factory Kawasaki Paniers (Givi V35): My turn signals are in the original location and not relocated.

Here is a Givi racks for v35 with rear rack: notice the relocated turn signals and different mounting for the side racks.

Now these are 2010+ model Versys.
Hey Gigitt

I see my mistake, I was talking about gen 1

Also, I see on your pic the place where the flasher on the gen1 would be relocated

So, all this being written, I know NOTHING about the other gen V and those givi rack ...

Take care

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode