ABS Works. That is all. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ABS Works. That is all.

Tried out the ABS today, not on purpose.

Some idiot decided to just throw his brakes on in front of me and I had cars to the side of me. So I did all I could do which was convulsively grab the brakes. ABS kicked in and the thing hitched to a stop right before I slammed into the guy.

So just so you know...it works. heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:24 PM

Glad to hear they did their job and that you're alright!

Just out of curiosity, can you turn off the ABS if you wanted to ride dirt?

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 PM

Good to hear. Ive already been in a couple situations where ABS would have been nice.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post

Glad to hear they did their job and that you're alright!

Just out of curiosity, can you turn off the ABS if you wanted to ride dirt?
Not a switch exactly, but you can remove the fuse that powers the ABS.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Glad to hear they worked for you.

Guess maybe you should back off from the cars ahead of you in the future.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 02:35 PM

You know ABS increases stopping distance, right? Yes, it will get you to a stop, but it won't do it in the shortest distance possible.

And I'm not an ABS hater, I replaced my '10 Versys with a '14 ABS Versys.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
You know ABS increases stopping distance, right? Yes, it will get you to a stop, but it won't do it in the shortest distance possible.

And I'm not an ABS hater, I replaced my '10 Versys with a '14 ABS Versys.
For most drivers/riders it WILL stop shorter. Because they don't know how to get the most from their brakes, or don't practise if they have been taught. Just look at all the skid marks on the road going INTO a intersecion. Once you lock yhe brakes you're just along for the ride.

In the rain I'd rather have ABS than to try and get the most out of the brakes I could by modulating the manually.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 05:49 PM

I watched some pretty impressive demos of BMWs ABS on wet pavement.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I wasn't really on his butt. I am very careful about the distance I keep from other drivers. It's part of the reason I have never had an accident in 20 years riding the street. It was rush hour and like usual things were grouped tighter. Sometimes you can't control all the variables. My only point in the post was it was nice to have ABS in that situation as many experienced riders have went down in that situation and it may have had a hand in my not going down.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Not sure of the reason for the claps. Seems a might uncalled for.

Get all the facts before clapping. Just saying.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 01:07 AM

Good to hear that the ABS works well. Here in the Philippines, only the non-ABS (2013) model seems to be available, which is part of the reason why I don't yet have one. I've been trying to wait out the importer for the ABS version.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 12:14 PM

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Glad to hear it.

We have a couple with ABS. Thankfully have never had to find out if it works.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKyle View Post
Not sure of the reason for the claps. Seems a might uncalled for.

Get all the facts before clapping. Just saying.

Thought it was funny.....Lighten Up..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Thought it was funny.....Lighten Up..
You are right. I probably should a little.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
I wasn't really on his butt. I am very careful about the distance I keep from other drivers. It's part of the reason I have never had an accident in 20 years riding the street. It was rush hour and like usual things were grouped tighter. Sometimes you can't control all the variables. My only point in the post was it was nice to have ABS in that situation as many experienced riders have went down in that situation and it may have had a hand in my not going down.
Guess I should have put a wink after my post. I avoid rush hour by either varying my work time, staying and working out, or stopping for dinner to let the traffic clear. Even when I am in traffic, I am on heightened alert mode and try to leave enough distance without leaving too much distance. It is frustrating because more wrecks happen when people tailgate at speed and it just slows everyone down.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Not a switch exactly, but you can remove the fuse that powers the ABS.
Do you know which fuse is it?
I am planning to do a offroad trip in October, and I thinking about this option.

Thank you.

--
Gustavo Erivan
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Did you even read the article?

"“Grabbing a handful of front brake at 70 mph on a lightweight sportbike on asphalt is one thing, but on loose gravel on a bike that weighs more than 500 pounds is scary,” Dudek admitted. “If the front started to lock, the bike would lose stability and I would slightly release the lever and then reapply pressure until I was in control, but it was a handful. With Off-road ABS on, the Adventure comes to a halt faster than I anticipated it would and without the messy locking and unlocking sensation found on older ABS systems. And the consistency was much better with ABS; I tried my hardest, but I just couldn’t beat the computer.”"

That is a test of Bosch's latest and greatest ABS system that only KTM uses so far, and the test is off road. Versys has a very old ABS system, the bike has had the same Bosch ABS system since it came out in '07. The ABS unit in the Versys is pretty old tech, it only works in a straight line with the bike upright. Grab a handful of brake on an ABS Versys mid corner and you're going to go down. The ABS on the KTM is state of the art ABS technology, it works off road, mid corner, etc.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/ne...cornering-abs/

ABS vs non ABS in dry and wet, using a ZX-10R

http://www.superstreetbike.com/featu...oesnt-need-abs

In dry pavement I can clearly feel how the braking force decreases once the ABS kicks in. Although I do have lots of experience, tons of trackdays and I've been riding daily for the last 11 years, I know how to brake properly.

I got the ABS for the rain. One thing is to do threshold braking in the dry and other thing is to do it in the rain, specially when you're commuting among mindless zombies in their cages.

So yes, ABS is safer, I have no doubt about that, that is why I got a '14 Versys with ABS. But in the dry, in pavement, ABS is not the fastest way to stop, specially when it is combined with very poor technique:

Quote:
So I did all I could do which was convulsively grab the brakes. ABS kicked in and the thing hitched to a stop right before I slammed into the guy.
Grab a handful of brake, with the front wheel unloaded, and the ABS will kick in right away. Little load on the front wheel = little traction = little braking = ABS kicking in too early. As there is little braking going on, there will be little weight transfer, which will not aid in traction, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5wqqg97r4E

Combined with good technique, as in gradually braking to load the front wheel, it will prevent loss of control if you go over the traction limit.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 07-15-2014 at 12:10 PM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wish i would have had ABS when that car made a U-Turn in front of me....Might have saved me a lot of pain...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode