Mounting the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mounting the Versys

Does anyone find it necessary to step onto the left footpeg to mount the Versys?is the kickstand, presuming to be on level, solid footing, strong enough for this method? At 5'11, I find the seat quite a challenge to lift a leg over otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Just depends. I'm a bigger guy 5"11 3/4 and 240lbs and usually just throw a leg over, if I'm running my trunk I have to Van Damme it, but sometimes just do the peg trick. I have the lowering blocks and am somewhat weary of sheering one off with my weight. Never had a problem with the kickstand.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 PM

With my top bag on, even at 6'3", I find it easier to mount based on what I've read on other forums here - mount from the right peg. If you grab the handle bars first, it acts as a counter-balance and the bike hardly moves.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:10 PM

Nope. I just swing the old leg over at high velocity and hope for the best.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_Puddin View Post
Just depends. I'm a bigger guy 5"11 3/4 and 240lbs and usually just throw a leg over, if I'm running my trunk I have to Van Damme it, but sometimes just do the peg trick. I have the lowering blocks and am somewhat weary of sheering one off with my weight. Never had a problem with the kickstand.

My weight went back and forth from 275 to 340lbs while i had the Versys. I had the Motowerks Peg Lowering Blocks and stood while riding all the time. No issues

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Do it Lone Ranger Style.
Leap frog it from the back!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

It sounds like the kick stand would be strong enough for a 200 pound guy to mount by stepping on the left footpeg. I don't yet have a Versys, but, at 5'11 with a 32 inch inseam, found it rather difficult to mount by swinging my right leg over my friends Versys. I did it, but sure felt the strain in the muscles on my left leg afterwards. Guess I could also try the right side technique mentioned, but I have always mounted bikes from the left.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 5'11" and I either step through (if there is luggage strapped on the rear seat) or swing a leg over. The GIVI V35s stay on the bike all the time.

I grab the left grip with my left hand when getting on the bike.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 AM

I use every help I can get...

How about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step.jpg (11.6 KB, 46 views)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 AM

Missionary.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
My weight went back and forth from 275 to 340lbs while i had the Versys. I had the Motowerks Peg Lowering Blocks and stood while riding all the time. No issues
I'm also hovering ~320 and have no problems with the motowerks lowering kit...I'm actually planning on removing the kit soon as I find the time, but that's because the bike just feels short with it on (to me).
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 09:18 AM

I sit on my bike all the time while on the kickstand.. use pegs to get on and off some times... no problem when loaded up..

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasoju View Post
Does anyone find it necessary to step onto the left footpeg to mount the Versys?is the kickstand, presuming to be on level, solid footing, strong enough for this method? At 5'11, I find the seat quite a challenge to lift a leg over otherwise.
As others mention - from the right side works PDG!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 PM

Left side peg is my standard mount/dismount. I'm 5'8" and 195.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 AM

I'm around 205, I've done the left side peg mount. But I've watched the amount of flex I get at the kickstand, and have since decided I'll just throw my leg over.
I guess I have a mental block about mounting from the right, I just can't do it.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 10:23 AM
djg

6'3", 34" inseam, 62 years old. I can get my leg over from the left side with E21 bags with bike on the kickstand. It is a bit of a stretch. It's a lot easier without bags. I have a dallasdon centerstand, with that deployed I must mount via the left peg.

This might help.

Last edited by djg; 07-11-2014 at 10:27 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
I'm around 205, I've done the left side peg mount. But I've watched the amount of flex I get at the kickstand, and have since decided I'll just throw my leg over.
I guess I have a mental block about mounting from the right, I just can't do it.
I NEEDED someone standing by the FIRST time I mounted from the right ('cause my brain was sayin' that the bike would "stand-up" then fall to the right - but it DIDN'T), and now I use it as required. The IMPORTANT part is to transfer your left hand to the left grip ASAP, which pulls your weight that direction.

I REALLY like the fact that it seems as tho' you "unload" the sidestand a bit when you come from the right.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 03:48 PM

5'7 210lbs here. I mount regularly by swinging the right leg over the seat

Got my versys today! (may 24 2014) In kawi green!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode