New Guy With Questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Guy With Questions

Hi folks,

I'm debating buying a Versys. I got a little test ride on one in the mountains Saturday and I must say I was impressed. I have a problem, however. I am used to riding large displacement inline 4s. I'm riding an 07 Bandit 1250 right now. While I'm not in to the top end the bike offers, I do like the power and acceleration. Most of my riding is in the North Georgia mountains in some pretty tight, technical twisty stuff. This is why I feel that the Versys may be the bike for me. I need the upright seating position because of an accident on a Speed Triple...I can't keep my knee bent for long periods of time...My 3 main concerns are these;

1) I'm a big guy...will this bike be “too small” for me on a long trip? I did not get that impression, but I was only on it for 10 minutes...I’m 6’1” 250lbs

2) Does it have enough power (low end to mid range) to be really fun in the twisty stuff?

3) Is it capable of long trips comfortably...say 300-400 mile days?

Thanks in advance!

Graham
Potential Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 PM

Think you'll be the only judge if its too small. I'm 5'10" and 185lbs and its perfect for me. I know a guy with one arm (real arm and a hook) who is 240lbs and 6'1", he loves it. He's a bike dealer and can ride any bike he wants including the new Concours and Versys is his first choice.

There is a taller seat sold by Kawasaki, that will probably help if you what to stretch out your legs a bit. I also have H&B crash bars and am going to put highway pegs on for long trips.

Yes, it has plenty of power. I've been running with a group of riders in So Cal in the San Bernardino Mts and the Versys is perfect for the twisties. We go up highway 74 which is classified as 44miles of twisty hilly roads. I have done a lot of two up riding (over 300lbs combined). You can cruise at 80mph+ on the freeway and plenty of get up and go on country roads.

Long distance, its got good range about 200miles, I find the stock saddle with a dead sheep on it just fine. I've had numerous custom seats on other bikes and don't think I'm going to bother with one on the V. I have a Givi top rack and trunk. Plus I sling a waterproof rafting bag over the passenger seat for my other stuff.

Machog
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 AM

I had the same concerns as you about the low end power, I have an 05 FZ1 also. The Versys has plenty of low end, that will not be an issue. As far as long trips, we do a few of them per year, and always ride 150+ miles when we ride on any day except if we ride after work. I haven't put over about an hour on ours at one time because the weather has been bad, but it feels like I could ride it a 500+ mile day with no problem, same as my FZ1.

Can't wait to ride it down to the Gap!!!

'15 DL1000

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys! I'm selling my KLR getting a Versys and keeping the Bandit...life is good...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Talking Good choice

Just thought I would add my two cents on this one. Mainly I have two things to say. I am 6'2" and it is more than comfortable for me! Second this thing has been specifically modified from the 649 in the ninja to give you that low end torque and I can feel it. Gives me plenty of get up and go. Careful in the lower gears during the break in though. You should try to keep it under 4,000 rpm engine speed. It will suck but hey its only for a thousand miles, and mine gives me plenty of off the line while I am still being nice to the new engine!

Jason
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 AM

Hi All; This is great info. I am new to the motorcycle world having never ridden before. I am scheduled to take the NH basic rider's course soon and have decided, based on everything I've read and been told, that the Versys is the right first bike for me. I'm 5'11", 170 lbs. I have sat on the Versys and found it a little high(just a little heal lift on both feet straddling the bike). I hope I will get used to this. Any suggestions or recomendations would be appreciated since I don't know diddly
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:22 PM

The reason i bought mine was because im 6 foot, and most other bikes were not tall enough for me! i have some pretty long legs and am able to strech them out a bit! as far as the weight, i dont know, im about 200 and everything is fine, i have had two 300 mile days and had no problems, the upright is great and the way the seat dips give you alot of support to keeep a good, comfortable posture
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks every body. I sold the KLR and bought an XR650L. I sold the Bandit today and I'm picking up a used Versys tomorrow. I found a trade in at a dealer I trust. It has 2000 miles, fender extender, tall wind screen and mirror extenders. Now I need an exhaust and a custom paint job. I can't wait to take her through the mountains north of my house!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Hi All; This is great info. I am new to the motorcycle world having never ridden before. I am scheduled to take the NH basic rider's course soon and have decided, based on everything I've read and been told, that the Versys is the right first bike for me. I'm 5'11", 170 lbs. I have sat on the Versys and found it a little high(just a little heal lift on both feet straddling the bike). I hope I will get used to this. Any suggestions or recomendations would be appreciated since I don't know diddly
Diddly - good first step is to take the basic rider course. While you are waiting get some good books on riding - lot's of them out there. My favorite is David Hough - Proficient Motorcycling. After you get your bike - take it easy and practice, practice, practice.

Every year I buy a new book and read it cover to cover to start the new season. And I always revisit the old books, too.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 05:30 PM

I have already gotten my hands on both of David Hough's books and have read them both. Great information, I'm going to try and re-read them before I take the course starting on the 13 of June. Practice is a given, I live in a closed community in the hills of NH with miles of quiet very windy roads. The drive to work is all secondary roads with little traffic when I'll be riding. Great combination.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 08:18 PM

this bike has plenty of room and power, i sold my bmwr1150rt to buy it, is all around more powerful due to lighter weight, same basic seating position as the RT, leg room is equal, handlebars better than the rt for sure, good aftermarket support, what i like the best is knowing i can get it serviced in any town in the U.S if needed, the BMW dealers are farther apart, got real tired of the hassel.....I could go on and on
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
this bike has plenty of room and power, i sold my bmwr1150rt to buy it, is all around more powerful due to lighter weight, same basic seating position as the RT, leg room is equal, handlebars better than the rt for sure, good aftermarket support, what i like the best is knowing i can get it serviced in any town in the U.S if needed, the BMW dealers are farther apart, got real tired of the hassel.....I could go on and on

I hear you on the BMW issues. That is what forced me to trade my bike in and get the Versys. It was a tough decision but I could not justify paying those rates for service that was sub-par and for dealerships that are far and few between. I've already seen the benefits of going with the local Kawasaki dealership - they are much more friendly and a whole lot cheaper. I wish I would have made the switch sooner.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:38 AM

no doubt about it.... I'm already making the changes to the bike, so touring will be better, engine guards, highway pegs, saddlebags......went with soft bags....the RT bags were a pain due to being side loaded style, everything kept wanting to fall out....putting the vario shield on the V, radiator guard of my own design, the touring potential of this bike is great..... never a regret in selling the RT, bought it new in 03 but grew less and less happy after riding other bikes....thought hard about the GS adventure, but unless i hit the LOTTERY that was never gonna happen.......
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 07:37 AM

That had to be hard letting go of the RT. I felt the same about my Cs - it was my first bike and I had a strong attachment to it. I rode that bike 20,000 kilometers and I've been on two tours with that bike. It just came to a crisis point where I just couldn't deal with the service aspect any more - they were asking me to pay $140 dollars just to 'install' two tires. That was the last straw. I never went back and traded the bike in at my Kawasaki dealer - they are going to send the bike up the BMW dealer and make a swap with them.

I can't wait to try them hard bags out. Mine are on back order along with my Vario windshield. My next tour is coming up in July. I'm hoping all of my luggage and windshield will be on the bike by then. I'm also working hard on getting out of the break in period - being stuck at 4k RPM really stinks. I've got almost 500 kilometers on the odo - hoping this weekend to get at least 200 more. It's raining - I'll probably ride anyway.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 AM

Versys break in

I have over 4,000 miles on my Versys now and I tried to baby it the first 1,000 miles but did take it over 4,000 rpm now and then but not much. Now I really get on it now and then like when I'm getting on the highway ramps to get up to speed. This bike will accelerate fast and has no problem taking you up to 65 in 4th gear real quick. You can then shift up to 6th and cruise. This is after it's broke in though. My brother in law has a Yamaha 1500 cruiser and I just blew him away on a country road.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstandinghorse View Post
I have over 4,000 miles on my Versys now and I tried to baby it the first 1,000 miles but did take it over 4,000 rpm now and then but not much. Now I really get on it now and then like when I'm getting on the highway ramps to get up to speed. This bike will accelerate fast and has no problem taking you up to 65 in 4th gear real quick. You can then shift up to 6th and cruise. This is after it's broke in though. My brother in law has a Yamaha 1500 cruiser and I just blew him away on a country road.

I bet you also blew away your BIL on the curves as well.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I have had her less than a week...loving it!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 PM

Ocean...many of us here have the GIVI windshield. Haven't heard a bad review yet. I think they look more natural to the lines than the Vario. On top of that...there's no waiting for them.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 PM

I'm 62, 5' 11", 180lbs, this is the coolest bike for messing around on ever!

I have a rocket ship for 2 up work, but this bike gets the local traffic and commutes. I have made round trip of 400 miles in one day, 78 on interstate, 53 mpg, and very comfy.

07 K1200GT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
Ocean...many of us here have the GIVI windshield. Haven't heard a bad review yet. I think they look more natural to the lines than the Vario. On top of that...there's no waiting for them.
There's a really good review on the three available windshields for this bike on webbikeworld. Seems to be the all-around favorite is the Givi but I just like the looks of the Vario a bit better. My dealer has both and I chose to go with the Vario - hopefully it will work out.

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode